Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crown race removal tools

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crown race removal tools

Old 10-22-20, 03:11 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Crown race removal tools

I have this tool but it tends to scratch the fork crown so I am less than pleased with it.

What are you using? Park puller?
Old 10-22-20, 03:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Screwdriver, hammer and a gentle touch.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-22-20, 03:22 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Screwdriver, hammer and a gentle touch.
Same, but instead of a screwdriver, I use a thin flat-tipped punch/drift. Effective at spreading the impact to a broader surface and less likely to slip or scratch. Alternate hits on either side of the fork crown under the race. Takes less than a minute, no specialized tools needed.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 10-22-20, 03:34 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I use a tool I got on Ebay that looks like a super thin "pickle fork" for removing ball joints. It's a wedge you could almost shave with it and it does a beautiful job. No scratching and it doesn't damage the race. I use a rawhide mallet with it and so far it hasn't taken much force.
Old 10-22-20, 03:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I have this tool but it tends to scratch the fork crown so I am less than pleased with it.

You can make some protective shims out of a plastic milk jug.

Big enough to protect the crown and trimmed to match the curve of the race and you have to make sure it stays in place.

Or you can cut it and fold it over the tool.

I have the older Park and do this with it.
Old 10-22-20, 03:49 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I used a hammer and punch this past time, but have been tempted by these:

Old 10-22-20, 04:18 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Triflow between the race and steer tube before I start. Old lock nut on the threaded end. Lock nut on ground on top of board. Fork touching my chest. Thin flat blade punch with small hammer single blow On front race and rear. Checking for movement as I go. No problems yet.
Old 10-22-20, 04:36 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Park.

Why mess with poor tools? One bad pull on an irreplaceable fork should convince to buy something that works.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 10-22-20, 04:54 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Same, but instead of a screwdriver, I use a thin flat-tipped punch/drift. Effective at spreading the impact to a broader surface and less likely to slip or scratch. Alternate hits on either side of the fork crown under the race. Takes less than a minute, no specialized tools needed.
Instead of a flat-tipped punch/drift, I use the long-side edge of the chainwhip (or any flat bit of steel the right size). You lay it across the race bottom, flat sides just resting beside the little bulges on the sides of the crown, hold one side of the crown+tool. With the tool (whip) like that it is really easy to keep it from moving off the race bottom and also to steady the fork at the same time. Yes, steerer (protected) on the ground and fork tips on your chest, tap twice, flip, repeat as necessary.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 10-22-20, 06:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Park.

Why mess with poor tools? One bad pull on an irreplaceable fork should convince to buy something that works.
True enough but most all tools require some finesse, if you're long on it , the tool(s) may be less critical.

That being said, the Park would not be my first choice but was an ok deal and requires more finesse than it should and can screw things up pretty easy IMO, I have the older version so.....

I have been a professional auto tech/mech most of my life and have a fortune invested in tools, bikes, motorcycles and cars, no qualms about buying good tools, special tools, cheap tools and spendy ones, used hammers for screwdrivers and screwdrivers for wrenches.

It takes what it takes, at the dragstrip, on the road and everywhere in between.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-22-20, 07:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Any makeshift method would have damaged my older Trek carbon fork and titanium Chris King headset crown race. It doesn't extend enough beyond the fork crown to wedge in any kind of handheld wedge, screwdriver, chisel, etc., without damaging the crown and crown race.

I took it to the LBS and they used their Park tool. Took a minute, no damage, no drama. They charged $5. I gave them $10, and felt guilty later. Should have tipped more. They've done other freebie favors for me when they weren't busy.

I'm temporarily using an Orign8 headset, which is quite a bit wider in diameter and can probably be removed with makeshift crown race pulling tools. It extends quite a bit beyond the fork crown. And I don't really care if the Orign8 crown race is damaged, as long as the fork itself isn't damaged.

But I won't try to remove the King headset or similarly sized, tight fitting crown race, without a proper tool.

Regarding the pressed-in headset itself, I bought an inexpensive metal tool off Amazon with the springy split-end. Works exactly like the Park version. No problem with that tool. Ditto affordable presses. But the Park Tools crown race puller is head and shoulders above anything else on the market, with the exception of a couple of similarly designed and equally expensive tools.
Old 10-22-20, 07:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts

...I use the old Nashbar version of that same tool. If you are using it in such a way that you expect tightening the tapered wedge will pull your race, I can see how you might scratch the fork crown in some instances. A much better method of using this tool is to just tighten it to the point where the wedged edges make initial contact with the race, but not quite tight enough to contact the crown except very loosely.

Then , using two saw horses (which is what I use), support the tool on each side with the casting ends, not the adjustment bolts, resting across, between both horses. (The adjustment bolts will eventually bend if you use them for support. I guess you cold do this with a vise, if it were mounted in such a way that you had the jaws out over empty space, not the work bench). Drop in some penetrant along the seating line. I use a dead blow hammer and a piece of scrap 2x4 on the top of the fork to pound it down until it drops out of the race. Usually takes only two or three blows. Put something under the working area like a doormat to catch the fork as it drops, because it usually drops all the way to the ground.

I can't ever recall scratching a fork using this method. I, too, am not especially impressed with the Park version, which we have at the co-op here.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 10-22-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 07:39 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I use a tool I got on Ebay that looks like a super thin "pickle fork" for removing ball joints. It's a wedge you could almost shave with it and it does a beautiful job. No scratching and it doesn't damage the race. I use a rawhide mallet with it and so far it hasn't taken much force.
This made me curious... can you post a pic or link to it? Thx!
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 10-22-20, 08:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Instead of using the OP's tool alone, use it with some kind of rubber mallet. I use the rubber handle of an adjustable wrench.
Old 10-22-20, 08:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
I used a hammer and punch this past time, but have been tempted by these:

I use the Campagnolo tool that appears very close to this, just a bit shorter. Classic.
i did make one modification- added a strip of leather at the base of the U. That way when the race breaks free, any paint is protected.
Old 10-22-20, 09:24 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I usually (using a mallet) gently tap a utility knife blade between the fork crown and lower bearing race. Once you get a bit of space between the two using the slightly tapered blade, a twist will separate the race further. This is usually enough to remove the race, and if not, there will be enough room to insert a flat screw driver or similar tool for the final removal. I find this to be a fairly non-destructive way to go about the process. I have never had to remove a race on a carbon steerer, however.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 10-22-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 09:32 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Triflow between the race and steer tube before I start. Old lock nut on the threaded end. Lock nut on ground on top of board. Fork touching my chest. Thin flat blade punch with small hammer single blow On front race and rear. Checking for movement as I go. No problems yet.
Same, minus the Tri-flow. The punch I use for this is brass.
Old 10-23-20, 07:20 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I use the old Nashbar version of that same tool. If you are using it in such a way that you expect tightening the tapered wedge will pull your race, I can see how you might scratch the fork crown in some instances. A much better method of using this tool is to just tighten it to the point where the wedged edges make initial contact with the race, but not quite tight enough to contact the crown except very loosely.

Then , using two saw horses (which is what I use), support the tool on each side with the casting ends, not the adjustment bolts, resting across, between both horses. (The adjustment bolts will eventually bend if you use them for support. I guess you cold do this with a vise, if it were mounted in such a way that you had the jaws out over empty space, not the work bench). Drop in some penetrant along the seating line. I use a dead blow hammer and a piece of scrap 2x4 on the top of the fork to pound it down until it drops out of the race. Usually takes only two or three blows. Put something under the working area like a doormat to catch the fork as it drops, because it usually drops all the way to the ground.

I can't ever recall scratching a fork using this method. I, too, am not especially impressed with the Park version, which we have at the co-op here.
That is probably the proper way to use it. Good I asked.

My method involved not using it like wedges to pry it but hitting one side of the forged ends back and forth until it fell off. Of course this would jostle it around and scratch the crown.
Old 10-23-20, 08:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts

I never scratch the crown using one very similar, as a puller not a wedge.
Old 10-23-20, 10:13 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
The punch I use for this is brass.
I like that idea, I can imaging multiple uses for a brass punch. Just checked there's a smallish one for $7.43 P**** at A*****.

Old 10-23-20, 11:38 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Park. Why mess with poor tools? One bad pull on an irreplaceable fork should convince to buy something that works.
This. The latest version of the Park tool is a joy to use.
Expensive, but truly the right tool for the job.
Old 10-23-20, 06:32 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
This made me curious... can you post a pic or link to it? Thx!
Not identical to mine but very close. I do one or two a year so this is more than adequate for my needs.

Old 10-23-20, 09:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Campagnolo #729, FTW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
camp-729.jpg (50.5 KB, 51 views)