Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"I want my bike.."

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"I want my bike.."

Old 12-04-19, 07:56 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I want my bike back."

Anyone here --- have/had any friends (what be good contacts; or the better one -- what [then] define as a 'real friend') --- who in the past gave a thoughful donation of a bike to YOU. As further time & years went on ----- that 1 contact later comes back to you, asking back in a single sentence for that bike given to you. "I want my bike back." (said in solid, consistent tone --- but in neutral manner). As that contact knew that you valued that bike so much --- that you NEVER were going to sell it.; never had fear of you doing anything to it. Only preserving it. ?Ever had such a person you have known come to your?

Last edited by molten; 12-04-19 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-04-19, 08:20 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
let it go. Buy your own bike
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 12-04-19, 08:28 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
What's the statute of limitations on this one? Three years? Five? If someone is "loaned" an object without a set time of return, at what point does it become the property of the person to whom it was lent?

So I guess that would be my answer: if it was established from the outset that the bike was on loan, and some shorter period of time has passed, give the bike back. If the bike was given, OP, that's your bike now.
Old 12-04-19, 08:36 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"loan" was never mentioned of. That be where "bike was given" ---- as my way of saying from my thread starter: (of a contact/friend) "who in the past gave a thoughtful donation of a bike to you."

Last edited by molten; 12-04-19 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-04-19, 08:45 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
No, but similar situation happened to me with Green Bay Packer season tickets. Told him to bugger off, not my friend anymore!
Tim
Old 12-04-19, 08:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If someone thought enough to give me a bicycle; I'd be gracious enough to return it, no matter what length of time had passed. The gift was the giving and in the end none of us "own" these bikes, especially for those of us that are "vintage" age. I'm just the rider and caretaker of some very nice bikes that someone else will enjoy someday. The best I could hope for is that some of the stories/experiences those bikes had will live on with them.

This one rode from the Illinois border to the Ohio border in a matter of hours on one of the hottest days I can remember.

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 12-04-19, 09:33 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Call Judge Judy to to settle this.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-04-19, 09:40 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Which do you value more, the bike or the friend? Shame they're putting you in that position, but I think they are.
Old 12-04-19, 09:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Is your "friend" twenty five years old or younger? Then don't expect a fully developed pre frontal cortex (i.e., rational brain) for the most part. This type of behavior is consistent with immaturity.

Your best course? Take the high road. Return the bike. Hug it out, and tell your friend how much he means to you. Let it go.

My lifelong friend just recently gave me a target pistol and a slide-action .22 rifle that had belonged to his deceased father. We both realized how important this gesture was, especially in memory of his dad. Relationships matter...
Old 12-04-19, 09:56 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Which do you value more, the bike or the friend? Shame they're putting you in that position, but I think they are.
That's a decision to make at the face-to-face contact. At such time, I actually knew the value of relationship was not going to get any better. But I could not detect if it was going to get any worse. So what I did was roll-over to him a bike of the same name, but of what be a rather rusted,heavier, older frame -- generally of higher value. Only a few peels of paint missing. .I had to react at the moment -- so there was no debate: related to what YOU ask. But I could have called off my handing (my) bike to him, while he was walking off my property. I had a slight detection he may have listened to me in changing my mind; but then what if there was the chance he would have debated. But then if he iistened, he may have kept rolling that bike out. even if I went out to his loading of it. But maybe not.
Old 12-04-19, 10:06 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way older; the old-school type. Who seems to be losing his 'old-school' personality on me. He now seems to be more in contact with a younger generation tech. Whom the (mentioned as old-school) demander of my bike knows the younger generaiton tech since many years back --- as his past bike shop employee. (but the bike shop not exist anymore; but we know how bikes stay permanently in the lives of ALL). As that tech has been doing the similar behavior to me ---- since further years back.

Last edited by molten; 12-04-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 10:06 AM
nomadmax 

The internet isn't for everybody.

You know it's rough when you call for Jim From Boston to come multi-quote a thread to clear things up
Old 12-04-19, 10:25 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I should have done. As later this contact(used-to-be-longtime-friend) told me not to get in touch with him anymore. Of what you see me saying to another -- about the "tech" he earlier had working for him: maybe this contact of mine made that tactic against me, for the intent of getting (what was my) bike for his tech. Who liked my bikes.
Old 12-04-19, 11:03 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
This one rode from the Illinois border to the Ohio border in a matter of hours on one of the hottest days I can remember.

So was this photo taken along US-40 in Indiana?
Old 12-04-19, 11:11 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I do have a relative who kept track of all birthday and Christmas presents he gave us, and would ask for them back if he didn't see them in use in our house after a year or so. He'd also keep track of where in our garage we had stashed them, which meant he was keeping track of the rest of the stuff in our garage too. Unnerving.

Some people are just more accustomed to being contentious, too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-04-19, 11:46 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
One of my wife's sister did this same thing last week, but was exceptionally rude about it. She gave my wife a super fancy cake plate 6 months ago telling her that she will use it more than her as she had never used it in 20 years.

My daughter was home for Thanksgiving and was baking a cake when the sister in law popped over. She saw the cake plate being readied for use and took it from my daughter's hands and walked out with it. Have not heard from her since. She has always been a dog about most everything, but this act really takes the cake!

Let it go, laugh it off, and don't bother with them again.
Old 12-04-19, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
That's what I should have done. As later this contact(used-to-be-longtime-friend) told me not to get in touch with him anymore. Of what you see me saying to another -- about the "tech" he earlier had working for him: maybe this contact of mine made that tactic against me, for the intent of getting (what was my) bike for his tech. Who liked my bikes.

Please get help. This is sounding more and more like your mental health needs attention. I am not being sarcastic--these continued postings are very concerning. Something escalated to the point that the other person demanded no further contact from you and here you are trying to get some sort of validation of your behavior from a group of strangers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-19, 12:19 PM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I do have a relative who kept track of all birthday and Christmas presents he gave us, and would ask for them back if he didn't see them in use in our house after a year or so. He'd also keep track of where in our garage we had stashed them, which meant he was keeping track of the rest of the stuff in our garage too. Unnerving.

Some people are just more accustomed to being contentious, too.
I had that thought above the "use" in not been seen to do such. But when it being a hard to find bike, you're not going to use such in a high traffic area, nor on pot-holed roads, etc. Frame-builders are retiring, although I don't want to keep in mind of wanting repairs. YOU are speaking more about commonly used bikes.
Old 12-04-19, 12:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
It’s like knockin boots with someone you met at the bar. You may want it again but you may or may not ever get it after that one night
Old 12-04-19, 12:46 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Keep the bike if it was a gift. Give it back if it wasn't a gift.
Old 12-04-19, 12:50 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
After reading this thread, "I want my time back"
Old 12-04-19, 01:15 PM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by speedevil
So was this photo taken along US-40 in Indiana?
It was
Old 12-04-19, 02:04 PM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
After reading this thread, "I want my time back"
When I saw how many committed posts you have posted on, in which you won't be refunded on lost time/energy ---- why are you singling out against ME?
What refunds have you gained on "time back" from the other chats that wasted your time????

Last edited by molten; 12-05-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 03:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I agree. OP has ranted about this situation in multiple threads. Needs "help" not available here on BF.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-04-19, 06:14 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nope, never happened to me, though I'm not sure what you are asking, since some of it does not make any sense to me:

I had that thought above the "use" in not been seen to do such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.