Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Heckler

Old 07-29-20, 09:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Old Heckler

27 years ago (or so) I gave my son this Santa Cruz Heckler for Christmas. He replaced it with a new SC 29'er a few years ago, hadn't ridden it in a long time and repatriated it to me. Yesterday, I refurbished some parts and rode it up a local mountain. Buttery smooth descent especially since the shock and pivots are original. Needs a few more tweaks, but looks like a good second bike.
Old 07-29-20, 09:24 AM
2old

Likes For 2old:
Old 07-29-20, 10:44 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
That is a 27 year old bike! I'm getting old. It seem modern to me. Thanks for posting. It is amazing what is C & V.

BTW, nice son you have there.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-29-20, 10:59 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Is the steering twitchy with that CX fork? That's a substantially different axle to crown than the "long" travel suspension that came with that bike. Are you going to leave it like that or go with a suspension or suspension corrected fork? 26" forks are pretty cheap these days since the standard has fallen out of favor. Just gotta find them. You could even go disc fork and do a "mullet" build with Vs out back and disc out front. Probably depends on how rowdy you want to get.

Cool to see this getting repurposed! Ive never seen a vintage MTB conversion like this. Sounds like you had fun on it and that's what really matters.
Likes For tricky:
Old 07-29-20, 12:44 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
Seems like a good name for a whiskey.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-29-20, 12:52 PM
2old

Originally Posted by tricky
Is the steering twitchy with that CX fork? That's a substantially different axle to crown than the "long" travel suspension that came with that bike. Are you going to leave it like that or go with a suspension or suspension corrected fork? 26" forks are pretty cheap these days since the standard has fallen out of favor. Just gotta find them. You could even go disc fork and do a "mullet" build with Vs out back and disc out front. Probably depends on how rowdy you want to get.

Cool to see this getting repurposed! Ive never seen a vintage MTB conversion like this. Sounds like you had fun on it and that's what really matters.
It had an old Rock Shox Judy with elastomers that possibly can be repurposed into a pogo stick , so I tried the Ritchey carbon since it was languishing. Those old bikes had pretty short fronts, and by leaving a much wider Kenda tire on the front than back, seemed pretty normal to me. I'll leave it like that for a few rides, then decide. Thanks for asking.
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-29-20, 12:55 PM
2old

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That is a 27 year old bike! I'm getting old. It seem modern to me. Thanks for posting. It is amazing what is C & V.

BTW, nice son you have there.
C & V = Classic and Vintage. May not be old enough for this forum yet, but someday.... Thanks for mentioning it; my son is a great son, father and fireman. I always wanted my kids to be better than me (pretty easy) and thrive; he's done that.
Old 07-29-20, 02:24 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I’ve been wondering when we’ll start discussing what to do with these old suspension bikes. They aren’t that old yet, but they certainly are obsolete in most cases. Some of them were beautifully engineered and fabricated, but you can’t find rebuild parts for the shocks, or forks with a specific offset, etc, etc, and why bother when the new stuff is so good. Once you’ve ridden 29” or 27.5“ wheels off road, 26” make you feel like you’re riding a bmx bike.

I’d love to see more creative re-purposing and conversions of these bikes. I’d never think to put a carbon cross fork on a Heckler, but there you go, and it sounds like it works!
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 07-29-20, 02:31 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you or your son still has that Judy, you *MIGHT* be in for a new fork. There were several recalls on RockShox forks around that time. I got one replaced on recall recently, from an '01 HardRock, and the replacement was a definite upgrade, with lots more adjustments than the original had. Might be worth looking up.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-29-20, 02:55 PM
2old

Originally Posted by madpogue
If you or your son still has that Judy, you *MIGHT* be in for a new fork. There were several recalls on RockShox forks around that time. I got one replaced on recall recently, from an '01 HardRock, and the replacement was a definite upgrade, with lots more adjustments than the original had. Might be worth looking up.
Thanks; I'll investigate.
Old 07-29-20, 02:59 PM
2old

Originally Posted by JacobLee
I’ve been wondering when we’ll start discussing what to do with these old suspension bikes. They aren’t that old yet, but they certainly are obsolete in most cases. Some of them were beautifully engineered and fabricated, but you can’t find rebuild parts for the shocks, or forks with a specific offset, etc, etc, and why bother when the new stuff is so good. Once you’ve ridden 29” or 27.5“ wheels off road, 26” make you feel like you’re riding a bmx bike.

I’d love to see more creative re-purposing and conversions of these bikes. I’d never think to put a carbon cross fork on a Heckler, but there you go, and it sounds like it works!
I've tried 27.5 and 29 and am a good height (6'1" with 34 inseam) for the bigger sizes, but prefer 26". You make a really good point about older suspension bikes. It's too bad that some are relegated to the scrap heap. Probably this one won't be for awhile since my son wants to hang it on his wall (garage, I assume) when its day is done.
Old 07-29-20, 03:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have full access a front suspension Rocky Mtn bike.
After buying it about 2 decades ago.
Son upgraded to full suspension.
Rocky Mtn is not original. Ridden hard.
Money well spent on him.
Old 07-29-20, 04:37 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
C & V = Classic and Vintage. May not be old enough for this forum yet, but someday.... Thanks for mentioning it; my son is a great son, father and fireman. I always wanted my kids to be better than me (pretty easy) and thrive; he's done that.
My 2002 Cinelli NSC is Classic & Vintage, so yours certainly is.

Great condition.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 07-29-20, 04:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
"Um, yeah. Let me have ... ok, yeah, let me have a Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, one of those combs there, a pint of Old [Heckler], couple flashlight batteries and some of this beef jerky."

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-29-20, 09:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Beat me to it.

Old 07-29-20, 10:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Beat me to it.

Old 07-29-20, 11:51 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Um, yeah. Let me have ... ok, yeah, let me have a Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, one of those combs there, a pint of Old [Heckler], couple flashlight batteries and some of this beef jerky."

https://youtu.be/-QROsCcpd1E
Why was Henry Kissinger working behind the counter at a liquor store in 1962?
Likes For madpogue: