Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FD braze-on adapter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FD braze-on adapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 02:01 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
FD braze-on adapter

I'm converting my "budget" Liv bike from 8sp Claris (horrible shifting) to a 10sp shimano 105 group (a triple chainring setup). I can't seem to adjust the front derailleur (brand new as the original was wrong tube size clamp-on) so that it moves far enough in toward the frame, so lots of rubbing. I made sure the low gear limit is as far as it will go in that direction. The rubbing also happens in the middle chain ring and lowest gears in the rear. I suspect the braze-on adapter I'm using (FSA from an old tandem bike) positions the derailleur too far out. I'm willing to buy another braze-on adapter but would prefer to know the precise measurement of where I should expect the derailleur to be and confirm that's where the adapter will place it. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by BNB; 09-17-20 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-17-20, 03:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 3,314 Posts
Was the original front DR a triple? If it didn't participate in the shifting problems you had, then why not put it back on and use it?

What else has been changed? Model and part numbers might help some of use too.

A pic that has the camera in the same plane as the chain rings looking at the DR will help as well as looking at the front DR from the drive side.
Old 09-17-20, 04:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's hard to be sure from the picture but I think you have the cable routed incorrectly at the clamp bolt. There is a little tab at about 8:00 (facing the bolt head) that you have the cable run under. That's incorrect. The cable should be routed over that tab and then over the top of the bolt shank.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-17-20, 04:20 PM
BNB

The original bike, Liv Invite, had Claris with a triple FD; I tried the original Claris 8sp front derailleur with the 10 speed chain and it did not shift well (a year ago so don't remember the details). The cranks and chainrings on the bike are the original . I'm swapping in the Shimano 10sp 105 triple groupset taken off a tandem. The only difference between the tandem and this Liv, as far as I can tell, is the seat tube size on the Liv is 34.9; the tandem seat tube was (and still is) 28.6. I bought the new FD last week, found an old braze-on adapter of un-remembered history. That adapter was a tight fit so maybe is for 31.8 tubing though I don't know if that would even be possible.

Is it possible the FSA FD braze-on placement is farther out? It seems they should all be the same. As well as the chainring spacing for 8sp vs 10s though I don't know. Or the position of the chainring set from the bike frame given the primitive bottom bracket. Just guessing here.

In writing this, maybe the adapter IS for 31.8 tubing and would push the derailleur (correction) out too far on the thicker 34.9 tubing.

I'll take pics in the AM when it's not over 100F in my garage.

Last edited by BNB; 09-17-20 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 04:28 PM
BNB

@HillRider: I will definitely check this out.
Old 09-20-20, 10:58 PM
BNB

FWIW, got the new braze-on adapter and it the geometry was dramatically different from the FSA adapter. The derailleur position was much closer to the frame as needed and the diameter was correct as ordered. The FSA was definitely smaller diameter and held the derailleur out way too far. I think the FSA came from a tandem (Cannondale) and maybe Cannondale had (has) its own non-standard tubing diameter. It definitely was not 31.8 but smaller than 34.9.