Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Airfoil aero bars vs traditional bars

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-03-20, 01:13 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts

After a crash into a car last week, in the rain, completely attributable to riding my road bike to work...and then it rained all afternoon, and carbon rims with rim brakes don't stop so good when wet....I decided it might be time to seriously consider a new road bike with discs. I'm currently on a Tarmac SL6, and I quite like how the bike rides. So went to local shop, they had an SL7 in my size, and it is apparently the last one in Belgium in that size also. But, it is a bit lower in the spec range than I was originally looking at. We discussed upgrading the drivetrain from mechanical Ultegra to UDi2, done. The shop also suggested, since they'll have to disassemble the cockpit, considering a bar upgrade. Specialized has a "wing" style aero drop bar that allows hiding the brake hoses and shift wires inside the bar all the way into the frame to fully conceal all hosing and cabling...

I've never ridden a handlebar like that. Thoughts? I've always been on "round" bars, how different would this be? Am I overthinking it? Or, am I going to trade off a bit of the versatility with a traditional round bar that I am currently used to having?
Old 10-03-20, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Completely hidden cables are a nice, clean look.

The wing shape bars can be more or less comfortable on the tops depending who you talk to and probably the size of your hands and the bar, and how you hold it. I find traditional round bars more comfortable in the tops. But don't use that position very often. Riding in the hoods and drops is the same.

The foil shape is more aerodynamic, but your handlebar isn't a big part of your overall frontal area so that's a marginal gain at best.
Old 10-03-20, 01:37 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Look, man, I'm a realist, I'm gonna gain exactly 0 seconds over any distance with the airfoil. So, it's not about that at all...the idea is intriguing for the cleaned up look, and spec'ing the bike closer to the specification I was hoping to buy, until I realized COVID has caused a run on bicycles that is nearly as dramatic as toilet paper. But, I can work with the shop and get the upgrades necessary to get the specs I want.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-03-20, 01:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I have some aero handlebars (Easton EC70) and I love 'em - they're a clean, kick-ass look and I find the flat tops to be comfortable, even bare-handed (it's a position that I use quite a bit when riding solo, but I don't put a lot of weight on my hands, so YMMV). The only bad thing about them was the install - getting hydro lines and shift cable housings through them was a pain in the ass. If you don't have to deal with that, all the better.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-03-20, 02:52 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

How are they climbing? Thats really when the tops matter to me (I'm not an accomplished climber). Not like I have monster climbs here in Flanders...but, I do plan to go back to the Alps/Dolomites to ride with my mates there.
Old 10-03-20, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

I have very little climbing in my area and I'm not the climber-type, either. That said, when I do place my hands on the tops during a (short) climb, they're fine. My hands are either resting lightly or pulling slightly and neither is uncomfortable (the leading edge is rounded enough that it doesn't dig in or anything).
Old 10-03-20, 03:02 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Those airfoil bars are very wide on the tops and it isn't for everyone. I'm like you and favor "round" bars; in my case, more so round bars with deep drops as I spend the majority of my riding with my hands in the drops. Over the years, I tried several bars that had aero or ergo tops with semi-deep drops and always ended up going back to round bars. When I first built up my Storck, I opted for a 3T Tornova because it had the traditional bend and drop with an ergo top. I replaced it with the 3T Superleggera Stealth and haven't looked back; I even bought another 3T Superleggera Team for my newest build because the constant taper from the drops all the way up to the tops/stem feels so comfortable for my hands.
Likes For primov8:
Old 10-05-20, 12:20 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I have a 2021 Cervelo S Series with Di2, and it has the aero bar with fully integrated cabling. It's a clean, nice look and *slightly* more aero. I mainly just like the look of not seeing any cables.

I have around 500 miles on it now, and there are a few practical considerations to consider. Do you actually ride on your tops? I don't, so I don't care about the flat shape, although I do find it comfortable the few times I've used it. But if you do like to ride on your tops, you may want to lay your hands on the bar to make sure you like it.

The other big thing is if you ever want to change your stem. At least with my bike, I'd have to disconnect the brake cables and rebleed the system afterwards with a stem change. But you have a lot of time on a very similar bike, so I think you should be able to get the right length stem now. Unless of course you like to constantly tinker with your fit.
Old 10-05-20, 12:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
They look cool and concealing the cables is nice but could be a hassle with hydro brakes.

Make sure that if there is no round real estate to mount lights, etc. that you are OK with fussy and expensive special mounts.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 10-05-20, 01:24 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I have the Scott one-piece aero bar and love it. That flat top is really comfortable. Most (all?) aero bars accommodate out-front mounts for computers and lights - nets a very clean setup.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 10-05-20, 01:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Make sure that if there is no round real estate to mount lights, etc. that you are OK with fussy and expensive special mounts.
17 bucks on Amazon, takes care of computer and light/camera, not at all fussy -

Old 10-05-20, 01:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The comfort difference is real. I'm actually thinking of putting the widest aero drop bars I can find on my cross/gravel bike. The hand positions are great. Forget aero. That palm resting and reduced pressure is nice.

Some of the aero bars you also "gain" a "virtual" hoods position. The reach may be a hair more at the actual hoods, but the flattish comfortable area of the bar starts right behind the hoods and has a hand area for less reach. Like the 3T ones. It's tough to describe, but I notice it.
Old 10-05-20, 02:09 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Plus buying mounting adapters for the lights you use and what if those are also used on other bikes, no place to mount back up light or other bits, and no ability to adjust the computer for glare.

If it works for you, great- just a heads up for the OP.

Another obscure point is that some computer mounts don't have room to plug in a cable for back up battery, if needed for long distance.
Old 10-05-20, 02:25 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Plus buying mounting adapters for the lights you use and what if those are also used on other bikes, no place to mount back up light or other bits, and no ability to adjust the computer for glare.

If it works for you, great- just a heads up for the OP.

Another obscure point is that some computer mounts don't have room to plug in a cable for back up battery, if needed for long distance.
Don't throw your back out with all that reachin' on your double-down.

They have adjustable models for a small increase in price, but glare hasn't remotely been an issue with either a Wahoo or a Garmin (plus, it just looks better when it's in-line with the stem). The GoPro-type mount is one of the most popular out there - many lights/cameras come with them, otherwise they're a pretty inexpensive accessory. Many head units have more than adequate battery life for 99.9% of the rides and riders out there; if you're the odd-ball that occasionally spends 16+ hours in the saddle at a time, that's probably a requirement that you lead with as opposed to an oh-by-the-way...
Old 10-05-20, 04:12 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I put aero bars on my R3 and I love them. Super comfortable when up on the bars. I like it a lot better than standard bars.
Old 10-05-20, 09:17 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Dunno if there's a version for fully concealed cables, but I'll take this opportunity to pimp 3T's Aeronova shape again. Such awesome.

Aside from looking the tits, the way the tops curve down towards a hump behind the hoods is extremely ergonomic, and even better, enhances safety by catching your hand if it slips off the side; it's perfect for the virtual aero bar position. Also, the way the wing flares out at the stem provides really good ergonomics and security for when you're riding with one hand.

And again, they look frikkin' badass.
Old 10-05-20, 09:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I have bars like that- Easton EC90. But I pretty much never put my hands the aero part (or their equivalent on regular bars). When it's safe, I do lean my forearms on them in something approaching the praying mantis style, and the flat area helps make that work. Otherwise, my hands stay in various positions around the hoods or in the drops. I love the bars- they are comfortable and I like how they look. I have no inkling if they have any effect on speed. The biggest inconvenience, already mentioned, is that you can't slap on any old light - you need the right mount. I have the mount that WhyFi suggested and I've got an adaptor to bolt my light to that underside Gopro mount. I
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-05-20, 10:34 PM
woodcraft

Don't throw your back out with all that reachin' on your double-down.

They have adjustable models for a small increase in price, but glare hasn't remotely been an issue with either a Wahoo or a Garmin (plus, it just looks better when it's in-line with the stem). The GoPro-type mount is one of the most popular out there - many lights/cameras come with them, otherwise they're a pretty inexpensive accessory. Many head units have more than adequate battery life for 99.9% of the rides and riders out there; if you're the odd-ball that occasionally spends 16+ hours in the saddle at a time, that's probably a requirement that you lead with as opposed to an oh-by-the-way...

Careful of your own back as well.
Old 10-05-20, 10:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
How hard is it to run new cables and housing? Is that a concern for you? Do you do your own work or have the shop do it? I have heard nightmares from mechanics changing cables on some hidden cable bikes.
Old 10-06-20, 12:32 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I ride on the tops pretty often when cruising along, as it allows me to sit upright and relieve pressure on my arms and hands. I still haven't figured out how to eliminate hand numbness, despite getting fitted for my bike and doing core exercises daily.

I have thought that the aero bars would offer a wider surface area for me, and that alone might be a big benefit.
Old 10-06-20, 12:58 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by drewtk
The other big thing is if you ever want to change your stem. At least with my bike, I'd have to disconnect the brake cables and rebleed the system afterwards with a stem change. But you have a lot of time on a very similar bike, so I think you should be able to get the right length stem now. Unless of course you like to constantly tinker with your fit.
I know the measurements I need, and have a good understanding of my fit, and I don't tinker with it once set up. Good tip though!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-06-20, 01:02 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
How hard is it to run new cables and housing? Is that a concern for you? Do you do your own work or have the shop do it? I have heard nightmares from mechanics changing cables on some hidden cable bikes.
The shop will set it all up, since it is a new bike, and this is being upgraded before I take the bike home. I normally do my own work, and I am fine with running cables and hosing, I do it now...understanding that the turns and bends will be tighter and will take longer in this particular case.
Old 10-06-20, 01:03 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Another benefit of aero dropbar is usually better "compliance" in that they are better able to absorb road shocks. Might be useful if you often ride gravel or bumpy roads.
Plenty of cobbles and pavé here...already put a clutched derailleur on my existing road bike because I kept dropping chains. So this is good news!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-06-20, 08:02 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts

Does that work on an integrated bar + stem combo?

Does it work on every integrated bar + stem combo?

(genuinely asking as I have zero integrated cockpits)
Old 10-06-20, 08:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Does that work on an integrated bar + stem combo?

Does it work on every integrated bar + stem combo?

(genuinely asking as I have zero integrated cockpits)
Looks like it bolts to the 2 top bolts on the stem cap. So and integrated bar/stem won't have any bolts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.