Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeaking noise coming from rear wheel.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 03:19 AM
Dany6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have one really annoying problem,when i ride or even when i turn the rear wheel with my hand it starts squeaking and the sound's coming from the hub part (not sure if it is because of the hub),i thought the wheel wasn't mounted properly and was off balance,but it was fine and it's centered today as well.The noise is really annoying and it's squeaking/screeching when i ride it (hard to precisely explain with text) almost like when something stays longer time without using it and and with no lube.Has anyone had same or similar problem?
​​​​​​I really wonder what the problem could be.
The only thing is idk what was the last time when bearings of rear wheel were changed.Maybe even 2.5 yrs ago.
Pads are ok and centered they don't rub the rim,chain is lubed.
Old 10-06-20, 07:03 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Does your bike have a plastic spoke protector between the gears and the spokes? Often that will warp and cause a problem, at least when coasting.

If that's not it, try removing the wheel from the bike. Rotate the moving parts by hand to see if you can identify a problem. It's rare a hub bearing will make a noise like you describe, though.

More information on the bike would help.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-06-20, 11:54 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Squeaking from a hub is often caused by a rubber dust cap, if one exists. Look at the non-drive side of the hub where the axle comes out - is there a black rubber part on there? These often get squeaky but can be fixed by a drop or two of oil on the rubber where it meets the metal of the hub. You can pry the edge of the rubber bit back a bit with a screwdriver or a fingernail to get the drop of oil more effectively between the rubber and metal.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 10-06-20, 12:12 PM
Dany6

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Does your bike have a plastic spoke protector between the gears and the spokes? Often that will warp and cause a problem, at least when coasting.

If that's not it, try removing the wheel from the bike. Rotate the moving parts by hand to see if you can identify a problem. It's rare a hub bearing will make a noise like you describe, though.

No,i don't have spoke protector,i'll try removing the wheel as you said.But when i close the wheel QR the rear mech moves a bit but i don't close it too tight tho,i guess that's normal?The mech moves just a tiny bit.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Squeaking from a hub is often caused by a rubber dust cap, if one exists. Look at the non-drive side of the hub where the axle comes out - is there a black rubber part on there? These often get squeaky but can be fixed by a drop or two of oil on the rubber where it meets the metal of the hub. You can pry the edge of the rubber bit back a bit with a screwdriver or a fingernail to get the drop of oil more effectively between the rubber and metal.
Yes i have it on both wheels,so just a drop on the rubber i shouldn't oil it in between/inside?i guess that'd just attract dust?.
Old 10-06-20, 12:23 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Sometimes when you don't ride for awhile a mouse will get in there and start making a squeaking noise.
Old 10-06-20, 01:04 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by Dany6

Yes i have it on both wheels,so just a drop on the rubber i shouldn't oil it in between/inside?i guess that'd just attract dust?.
Yes it might attract dust. Use only a tiny amount of oil or even a tiny smear of grease on the rubber where it is pressed against the hub.
Old 10-06-20, 01:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
rotor might be slightly catching the pads, or the axle/skewer is not properly secured.
Old 10-06-20, 01:47 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Squeaking is usually the jockey wheels in the derailleur cage. It can sound like a bird's following you around everywhere you ride. Although that can actually happen as well.

Take them apart, clean them up and put back together with grease inside the grooves where those chintzy metal covers run.
Old 10-09-20, 06:25 AM
Dany6

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus

I removed the wheel and gave it a few spins by hand and it did still make a noise few time when i kinda "twisted" rotated the QR skewer lever,the one i have is a steel vintage one.

Is dust cap supposed to be moving,rotating together with the wheel hub or it should stay in place while the wheel rotates?
In my case it stays in place,but if i kinda move it,pinch it toward the hub it starts to rotate.
And btw,there'a bit of play in my QR skewer lever (pointer with an arrow on the pic) is that normal?

Here's a few short videos with sound (wear headphones if can)
CLICK HERE

Originally Posted by guy153
Squeaking is usually the jockey wheels in the derailleur cage. It can sound like a bird's following you around everywhere you ride. Although that can actually happen as well.

Take them apart, clean them up and put back together with grease inside the grooves where those chintzy metal covers run.
The squeaking noise is still there after i remove the wheel (but not as much when mounted on frame) and spin it "freely" by hand.

Last edited by Dany6; 10-09-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 08:31 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am thinking the same thing as ClydeClydeson. When this is the source I put a drop of lube in the space between the rubber dust cap and the metal portion of the hub where the red arrow indicates on the photo below. I only put as much as will get rid of the noise. I never put too much because I don't want it to eventually get on the brakes.

Old 10-13-20, 09:26 AM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by Dany6
Is dust cap supposed to be moving,rotating together with the wheel hub or it should stay in place while the wheel rotates?
In my case it stays in place,but if i kinda move it,pinch it toward the hub it starts to rotate.
hand.
THe front hub on my bike has rubber dust caps that do not rotate with the hub.

I have no idea what you mean by 'play' in the quick release skewer (I can't watch the video). If the QR is not tightened down holding the axle and frame together, it will be all sorts of floppy looseness. If there is play or looseness when the wheel is fastened I don't know what to tell you.
Old 10-16-20, 12:33 AM
Dany6

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
THe front hub on my bike has rubber dust caps that do not rotate with the hub.

I have no idea what you mean by 'play' in the quick release skewer (I can't watch the video). If the QR is not tightened down holding the axle and frame together, it will be all sorts of floppy looseness. If there is play or looseness when the wheel is fastened I don't know what to tell you.
When i close the QR everything's fine and tight so no play.But when QR lever is not tightened,when it's released then there's a bit of play but i guess that's normal...
Old 10-16-20, 01:51 AM
Sembikes
Sembikes

Bikes: AM/XC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check your Spoke weaving and the hub.
Old 10-16-20, 03:30 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
While you have it upsidedown, very lightly apply the brakes to see whether the sound changes. I cannot see whether the brakes are touching, but as you apply them they may push the wheel slightly too one side before both pads grip. See if that changes the sound.
Old 01-01-24, 01:33 AM
KaraBarnes123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!!

Not sure if you'll see this but just wanted to say thanks - you saved me from a frustrating morning!
Likes For KaraBarnes123: