Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Axle moving in hub?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Axle moving in hub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 01:21 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Axle moving in hub?

Yesterday I took my 27 1 1/4 wheel into a shop to have the freewheel removed and the dork disc taken off because I don't have a tool to do that. They gave it back to me with the freewheel off ( I guess they assumed I was going to put on something else?) which was not the plan. When I got home, I attached the freewheel back on the rear wheel but now the axle shifts just slightly in the hub. I wish I would have just asked them to put it back on for me but the store won't let people in so it was just a helper that brought it out to me disassembled and I didn't see how it came off so I could only assume on how it went back on.
Is there a spacer or washer they might have missed giving to me? it just moves back and forth a few millimeters but obvious enough to notice it.

Can anybody help me trouble shoot this or should I go back to the store and ask what went wrong?
Old 10-11-20, 01:57 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Freewheel "wobble" is common & normal due to the machining of hubs/freewheels etc and their concentricity. Cheaper hubs/freewheels are often worst.

Old 10-11-20, 01:59 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Removing a freewheel should not affect the axle. It may have been loose when you brought it to them but only noticed it when you got it home, Just a thought.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 10-11-20, 02:03 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
So, it's the axle moving, and not the freewheel? If so, you should be able to tighten down the cone nuts just enough that it spins freely, and doesn't bind up, but doesn't have any lateral movement. You would probably benefit from removing that freewheel first, which you could probably do provided you didn't crank it down.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-11-20, 02:49 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Likely the shop loosened a cone when removing the freewheel. Not an unusual occurrence. To adjust, you need a cone wrench and an adjustable wrench or take it back to the shop.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-11-20, 03:12 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by krakhaus
So, it's the axle moving, and not the freewheel? If so, you should be able to tighten down the cone nuts just enough that it spins freely, and doesn't bind up, but doesn't have any lateral movement. You would probably benefit from removing that freewheel first, which you could probably do provided you didn't crank it down.
Yes, freewheel is not shifting but axle moves laterally (good description, thank you) just slightly within the hub. Unfortunately I did crank it back on so won't be able to get it off unless I go out and get a double whip chain (which I probably should anyways). I think adjusting the cone nuts might be the trick as I had loosened everything up in hopes I could remove it myself with a freewheel remover tool I bought which was the wrong size.

dedhed thankfully its not a freewheel wobble! I think if I saw that on my bike I would s#&t myself! ha ha. His videos are good though.
Old 10-11-20, 05:16 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Don't need chain whip as not pulling off a cassette.

Proper free wheel tool, large adjustable wrench and off it comes.

Hoping you put grease on threads. Even if it was torqued on, it should come on right off.
Old 10-11-20, 05:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Broken axle?
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-12-20, 02:33 PM
gthomson

Thanks for the help all, it led me in the right direction and to find this youtube video which explains both what is happening and how to resolve it. If anyone searches up this post with the same problem hopefully the can use the video to help.

Old 10-12-20, 05:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

A slight cone adjustment won't require the removal of the freewheel. Just do the adjustment (likely 1/2 turn or so) on the non drive side. Won't likely move anything so far as to offset the wheel or have axle stick beyond the dropout (if a QR hub).
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-13-20, 05:16 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
A slight cone adjustment won't require the removal of the freewheel. Just do the adjustment (likely 1/2 turn or so) on the non drive side. Won't likely move anything so far as to offset the wheel or have axle stick beyond the dropout (if a QR hub).
*Always* adjust the non-drive side.

Sooner or later, if you keep adjusting the drive side, it won't be tight enough to prevent the cone precessing.

Which will destroy the hub.

Plus you will have to remove the freewheel to adjust the drive side.
Old 10-13-20, 06:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Adjusting the NDS will might compensate for the loss of the dork disk, or not. Yes, it is a spacer. If you are using friction shifting, it won't be a problem. Index shifting might be impacted by the new location of the freewheel. In any case, check your chain line for kicks. If index, check RD adjustment.
Old 10-13-20, 06:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by oneclick
*Always* adjust the non-drive side.

Sooner or later, if you keep adjusting the drive side, it won't be tight enough to prevent the cone precessing.

Which will destroy the hub.

Plus you will have to remove the freewheel to adjust the drive side.
I guess I'm failing to see any difference as to which side gets adjusted. Either side you're tightening up and locking adjustment with the locknut. Keeping the wheel centered in the fork/frame and axle centered in the dropouts with the proper bearing preload is the goal. How you accomplish that is up to you. Unless you working on an old Raleigh front wheel with only one adjustable cone.
Old 10-13-20, 06:32 AM
gthomson

Yup, that's what I did and that tightened it up. Took it out for a 25 km ride yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine.

Now will this stay in place or is this something that needs to be done as regular maintenance?
Old 10-13-20, 06:45 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
I guess I'm failing to see any difference as to which side gets adjusted. Either side you're tightening up and locking adjustment with the locknut. Keeping the wheel centered in the fork/frame and axle centered in the dropouts with the proper bearing preload is the goal. How you accomplish that is up to you. Unless you working on an old Raleigh front wheel with only one adjustable cone.
It's like this:

When you adjust a cone there is a non-zero chance you'll get it wrong in any of several ways. The particular wrong of not locking the cone tight enough is no trouble on the left side - if the cone is loose it precesses outward. On the right side it will precess inward, at first ruining the bearings, then the hub shell:

(not my hub)

On my bikes the only thing tighter than right-side cones-and-locknuts is the fixed cup if it's also right-hand threaded.

The Raleigh arrangement *requires* the locknutted cone to be on the left side - the right one buts up against a shoulder on the axle and *cannot* move any further inward. If you put the front wheel in loose and wrong (people did), well, you'd be after a new hub.

Last edited by oneclick; 10-13-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-13-20, 07:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by oneclick
It's like this:

When you adjust a cone there is a non-zero chance you'll get it wrong in any of several ways. The particular wrong of not locking the cone tight enough is no trouble on the left side - if the cone is loose it precesses outward. On the right side it will precess inward, at first ruining the bearings, then the hub shell:
On my bikes the only thing tighter than right-side cones-and-locknuts is the fixed cup if it's also right-hand threaded.

The Raleigh arrangement *requires* the locknutted cone to be on the left side - the right one buts up against a shoulder on the axle and *cannot* move any further inward. If you put the front wheel in loose and wrong (people did), well, you'd be after a new hub.
Got it, more of a, if you do something wrong this gives you the best outcome of minimizing damage.
When I got my old Raleigh I was like, What is this set up? A little research explained it.
Old 10-13-20, 09:31 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Kind of parroting what some have posted already, but when I work on any bike with a freewheel hub (or any wheel with a freewheel hub) for the first time, I always start by removing the freewheel, checking that the axle is centered properly left to right, and isn't bent. Then I tighten the driveside locknut(s) firmly against the driveside cone.

I've seen hubshell cups cracked from a driveside cone having spun itself inward, so driveside axle hardware must be sufficiently torqued to prevent self-tightening of the cone.
Left-side pedal bearings similarly tend to self-tighten if the locknut isn't tight enough against the cone.
Old 10-13-20, 04:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
First, the dork disc has ZERO effect on the axle spacing. Not sure how that idea could have been conjured up.

If the axle and bearings were adjusted properly before taking the wheel in, and was loose afterward, most likely the drive side bearings are no longer set correctly. In some cases, based on the type of freewheel, the wall thickness of the freewheel tool, and the size of the outermost nut, sometimes that nut needs to be removed in order to fit the remover tool. If that's what the LBS had to do, and they didn't tighten that nut back down properly, especially if there is not a separate locknut between the cone and the spacer, then that side will need to be checked.