Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Checking in at 74.5 yo.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Checking in at 74.5 yo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 03:25 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Checking in at 74.5 yo.

I have not posted for about 6 months now, and just wanted to say “Hi!” to some who may remember me from months and years past.

I continue to bicycle (road and mountain biking) about 100-125 miles per week, swim about 5 hours, take 3-4 mile hikes, and work on resistance exercises (got my BP up to 186 lbs, currently doing 40 PU’s at a time, etc.) and TRX – great program, along with some prescribed targeted stretches for my never-ending and sometimes extremely painful hip bursitis.

Several of us have formed a little group where we exchange emails about bicycling and other topics, which I greatly enjoy.

So, I am still alive and kicking.

Mrs. Fox did a nice 6 mile ride yesterday at age 76.5.

Greetings to all, and take care. I’ll update again in November on my 75th birthday!!

DnvrFox
Old 06-01-14, 03:36 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Hey hey DnvrFox

Glad to hear from ya
Old 06-01-14, 03:43 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes indeed.

Sure did enjoy the Introduction To Single Track.
Old 06-01-14, 03:46 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear from you DnvrFox. I missed your posts and was wondering what happened.

Charlie
Old 06-01-14, 03:57 PM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It’s good to hear that you and the Mrs. are doing well.
Old 06-01-14, 04:43 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zombies are real! We've both returned from the dead!

Good to hear from you again.
Old 06-01-14, 06:06 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I think we need to introduce a system of role call, to ensure that we don't lose anyone in the ether.
Old 06-01-14, 06:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Good to hear. Looking forward to still being that active in a few years.
Old 06-01-14, 06:41 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'll be out your way next week doing RtR
Old 06-01-14, 11:40 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's great to hear from you Dnvr!
Old 06-02-14, 05:53 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Dnvr. You're still alive? Good to hear. Have you chased any kids off the lawn lately?
Old 06-02-14, 06:00 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear from you Dnvr. Glad to hear you are still pounding the pedals.
John

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 06-02-14, 07:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Hi Denver!
Old 06-02-14, 06:12 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you're back! Don't be gone for so long! I miss your surveys and inspiration! Glad to hear that everyone is OK. Cheers!
Old 06-02-14, 08:23 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Vefer
Glad you're back! Don't be gone for so long! I miss your surveys and inspiration! Glad to hear that everyone is OK. Cheers!
Thanks all.

Nice 35 mile ride today followed by a good swim.

Looking at a new bike - possibly Spec Roubaix.

I'll be updating again in November (assuming . . . ). See you then!!
Old 06-02-14, 09:58 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Let's not become another Cleveland facing the loss of LeBron James! I suggest being proactive and changing the name of the forum to the Denver Fox Forum, and throwing in a new Roubaix as a signing bonus.
Old 06-02-14, 11:00 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I continue to bicycle (road and mountain biking) about 100-125 miles per week, swim about 5 hours, take 3-4 mile hikes, and work on resistance exercises (got my BP up to 186 lbs, currently doing 40 PU’s at a time, etc.) and TRX – great program, along with some prescribed targeted stretches for my never-ending and sometimes extremely painful hip bursitis.
Guys like you piss me off!!
Old 06-03-14, 06:17 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good going, Denver Fox. I am the same way; posting sometimes more than others. Will be 80 in January and just finished a 50 mile ride yesterday.
Old 06-03-14, 06:51 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Good going, Denver Fox. I am the same way; posting sometimes more than others. Will be 80 in January and just finished a 50 mile ride yesterday.
It has been interesting over the years. I joined BFN in 2001 along with several of the folks who currently participate, and the 50+ forum in about 2004. There have been a few folks who have stayed as a cohort for almost 13 years now, obviously aging each year - at least I don't know of anyone who didn't age and is still alive. I have followed BluesDawg through a terrible cancer battle, Retro through several serious and critical accidents, RonH as he moved to a better bicycling environment, more recently FredB as he battled terrible back problems with a total reconstruction of his back (and now doing 30 mile rides and just started on single tracking - a la yours truly) Rudy and wife as they go through their 80's, and others as they got about 13 years older - and me with a back fusion.

Many are in their 70's now, some in their 80's. I don't know of any who have passed on, but, then, how would one know (except for NOS88's "death" and "resurrection" )?

And, they just keep battling on - into their 80's and perhaps their 90's. Still bicycling, active and alert. Sort of amazing.

I only know about 25% or less of the current posters!!! Some think they are old at 50, some at 60 or 65. I don't feel old at all at 74.5!!

Well, enough reminiscing for now. I didn't intend on getting into a post to which I replied. Sorry!!

See you in November!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-03-14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 07:37 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those of us who remain active into the 70s and beyond are indeed fortunate (and smart, if may say so). I'll achieve 74 this summer; I attribute my long life to years of running (20s thru 35) cycling and the gym (35 to present). There have been some lapses in activity over the years, but exercise has always been important for my mental and physical health. I can't bench press any more because of shoulder issues, but the bike and gym are still key elements of my existence.

Reading your post was inspirational, Fox guy. I'm thinking seriously about a swim club membership this summer for lap swimming lessons and to hang out with my daughter's family. Plus, there's a need to shed about 10 pounds before winter.

Guys like us need to stay in touch to encourage each other. November will be here quickly, but you can surely drop in before then to deliver more inspiration.
Old 06-03-14, 07:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by SwampDude
Those of us who remain active into the 70s and beyond are indeed fortunate (and smart, if may say so). I'll achieve 74 this summer; I attribute my long life to years of running (20s thru 35) cycling and the gym (35 to present). There have been some lapses in activity over the years, but exercise has always been important for my mental and physical health. I can't bench press any more because of shoulder issues, but the bike and gym are still key elements of my existence.

Reading your post was inspirational, Fox guy. I'm thinking seriously about a swim club membership this summer for lap swimming lessons and to hang out with my daughter's family. Plus, there's a need to shed about 10 pounds before winter.

Guys like us need to stay in touch to encourage each other. November will be here quickly, but you can surely drop in before then to deliver more inspiration.
Thanks so much.

I don't deal well with bureaucracies - there are some extremely hard feelings I retain over previous incidents with the "bureaucracy" and certain other participants of BFN and I REALLY do not want to travel that road again. SO, posting about every 6 months will, hopefully avoid that, although I think I just crossed that line again!!

Yes, do get a swim membership and whatever lessons, etc., one might need. I took a lesson a few years back, and it really helped. As in bicycling, I am the world's slowest swimmer, but I manage to hold my own for an hour or so, and I don't mind being slow. Swimming will do great things for your entire body.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-03-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 11:32 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Hey hey DnvrFox

Glad to hear from ya
Indeed! Thanks for checking in! Same ole same ole... you haven't missed much... BTW I want to be you when I grow up... right now at 63 I am just a youngster!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-03-14, 05:06 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Funny? swimming/bicycling story from last night.

After swimming, the chlorine sometimes causes a skin reaction right around my (to borrow a phrase from Porkys) "tallywhacker" area. and bicycling can also irritate, so I generally apply hydrocortisone cream if it happens. Last night at 2 am, things started itching in the area, so in my sleep I grabbed the tube of hydrocortisone cream and applied it liberally. Unfortunately, it was NOT cortisone, but a muscle rub cream - quite strong and extremely burning - especially in that area. Man was I hurting, and I didn't know what to do, applying other creams, etc. Finally I figured it had to be washed off, and took a long shower, and that pretty much solved the problem. Ouch!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-03-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 07:03 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Funny? swimming/bicycling story from last night.

After swimming, the chlorine sometimes causes a skin reaction right around my (to borrow a phrase from Porky's) "tallywhacker" area. and bicycling can also irritate, so I generally apply hydrocortisone cream if it happens. Last night at 2 am, things started itching in the area, so in my sleep I grabbed the tube of hydrocortisone cream and applied it liberally. Unfortunately, it was NOT cortisone, but a muscle rub cream - quite strong and extremely burning - especially in that area. Man was I hurting, and I didn't know what to do, applying other creams, etc. Finally I figured it had to be washed off, and took a long shower, and that pretty much solved the problem. Ouch!!
Great story. That'll teach you not to 'slather' anything on that part without visually verifying whats in the tube!
Old 06-03-14, 07:45 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Great story. That'll teach you not to 'slather' anything on that part without visually verifying whats in the tube!
Never too old to learn a good lesson!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.