Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 09:03 PM
CHAUSE1

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer

My wife bought me a cycleops fluid 2 trainer for Christmas and I am wondering if it will bore me to death and be a big waist of money. Can anyone share there experiences with a trainer vs. getting out in the open air. I love you ride, but am afraid that the trainer will bore me. Thanks for the feed back!
Old 12-27-11, 11:11 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nearly everyone agrees that indoor training is not even close as a substitute for real outdoor bike riding. Most of us do it as a wintertime substitute or a supplemental training tool. It can be really valuable to improve your performance if you do it right and, yes, boredom is a near universal complaint. It is best done with some intensity, in small doses, and accompanied by music or videos.

See the "Indoor Riding Season" thread if you haven't already.
Old 12-27-11, 11:51 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Sufferfest videos. Boring, not. Intense - you will learn to hate your trainer, and to hate it regularly! As much as the workouts are hurtful, there will be a benefit in the springtime.
Old 12-28-11, 05:21 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAUSE1
My wife bought me a cycleops fluid 2 trainer for Christmas and I am wondering if it will bore me to death and be a big waist of money. Can anyone share there experiences with a trainer vs. getting out in the open air. I love you ride, but am afraid that the trainer will bore me. Thanks for the feed back!
In Wilmington, NC? Take it back and buy some cool weather clothes.
Old 12-28-11, 06:02 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As mentioned before, riding a trainer is in no way the same as riding a bike on the open road. It doesn't even come close. However, if conditions make it difficult or near impossible to ride outdoors, then a trainer helps to keep you from doing nothing at all. I have found that riding a trainer is what you make of it. There are those that absolutely hate using a trainer and those that don't mind it, myself included. I imagine that if you normally ride in a group or normally train to race, that riding the trainer can be extremely boring, but if you ride for health and fitness and you don't care about your power and wattage output then the experience can be whatever you make of it.

In Central Florida, we don't have many cold days to where you can't ride but we do get days to where it's to a point that I don't want to ride. We also have our rainy season where it rains almost every day for pretty much the entire day. These are the days when I use my trainer, which is set up in the dinning room so I can watch TV while I ride. This works well for me, but obviously not for others. I would take what you read here with a grain of salt and try the trainer yourself, doing your type of riding, and form your own opinion.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-28-11, 06:56 AM
CHAUSE1

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input...it was helpful!