Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin ANT+ Speed Sensor not Pairing with Samsung Note 4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 03:42 AM
liamdorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got the ANT+ Speed and Cadence sensor to link up to my phone but can't get the speed sensor to pair in Strava.

After installing both the speed and cadence sensors and opening strava on my phone it searches for Bluetooth and ANT+ sensors. The cadence sensor came up straight away and paired with no issue but I can't get the speed sensor to show up.

When I rotate the wheel, after two rotations the green lights on the sensor blink like they are supposed to but the phone doesn't pick it up.

I am assuming that because the Cadence sensor came up straight away and paired that there is no issue with pairing ANT+ sensors with the phone.

Has anyone had any issues on other Samsung phones S4 S5 etc that also have ANT+ capability?

Thanks for your help.

Liam
Old 01-18-16, 06:36 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An ANT+ Sensor will never pair directly with a smartphone! Either your sensor uses BLE (bluetooth) in addition to ANT+ or you need a ANT+ Dongle. But i know that its get only produced for the iphone from Wahoo
Old 01-18-16, 06:44 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think Speed is one of the supported options in the Strava app. When I look at that screen for sensors in the app, I only see the options for Heart Rate, Power, and Cadence.
Old 01-18-16, 08:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't use Strava directly but have Garmin Connect sync to Strava so I can't comment on Strava support for speed.

I have however, purchased two pair of speed/cadence sensors and have had to change a battery on at least one of the sensors both times right out of the box. The sensor would wake up and flash but it wouldn't pair with a Garmin until the battery was changed.
Old 01-18-16, 08:58 AM
carhea

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ediri
An ANT+ Sensor will never pair directly with a smartphone! Either your sensor uses BLE (bluetooth) in addition to ANT+ or you need a ANT+ Dongle. But i know that its get only produced for the iphone from Wahoo
Yes they will. Been using them with a galaxy s4 active for ever a year and now a galaxy s6. They work very well.
Old 01-18-16, 09:06 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have however, purchased two pair of speed/cadence sensors and have had to change a battery on at least one of the sensors both times right out of the box. The sensor would wake up and flash but it wouldn't pair with a Garmin until the battery was changed.
Could it be that you initially reversed the polarity of the battery when you first installed it? For some reason, it shorts the circuit when you do so. You would need to remove the battery and wait 30 secs before reinstalling it with the correct polarity to make it fully function again.
Old 01-18-16, 10:52 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Samsung phones have built in ANT+ receivers.

Originally Posted by _ediri
Old 01-19-16, 01:09 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't know this! Very nice! Should consider buying a Samsung! Thanks

Originally Posted by fstshrk
Samsung phones have built in ANT+ receivers.