Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

20 miles with the little guy on back of my chariot cougar

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 10:12 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I picked this up about 8 months ago, but really starting to use it more and more. Since I've started using it my over all hill climbing has improved a lot and it works great as a training tool since my son demands MORE whenever I stop too long.

About half way in on a new paved path my little guy fell asleep the ride was so smooth. Plus having the jogger attachment makes it great for the wife when she wants to jog. Anyone on the fence should make the leap I got this one off of CL for less than half of new and it probably only got used a few times if that.

Old 09-01-16, 03:51 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
That's awesome! I just started my second son in the bike trailer. Both boys sleep well in my Craigslist trailer! I find it to be a great training tool as well. Plus I get to spend time with them!!
Old 09-07-16, 04:29 PM
SHK

Bikes: 13 Raleigh Cadent FT1/ 16 Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bike is so sexy.
Old 09-08-16, 09:42 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PumpedUpKicks
That's awesome! I just started my second son in the bike trailer. Both boys sleep well in my Craigslist trailer! I find it to be a great training tool as well. Plus I get to spend time with them!!
My daughter is due in Feb so once he's too big she will be in the back. How long did you ride with your son? He's almost 2, but a skinny little guy so isn't heavy which is great for the climbs, but with the trailer being around 22lbs and him growing like a week I don't think I can pull the climbs much longer and will have to change to a flatter route.

It's really a great workout because the second I stop for a rest he's yelling "more more" and refuses to stop for more than 5 minutes which pushes me to get back on the bike and keep going.
Old 09-08-16, 06:59 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like mine. My two kids are 40 lbs each plus the carrier and that gets tough on the hills. Luckily it's fairly flat where I am. Also they're about to big to fit in it, but they still like to for fun sometimes.
Old 09-12-16, 05:29 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Originally Posted by LGHT
My daughter is due in Feb so once he's too big she will be in the back. How long did you ride with your son? He's almost 2, but a skinny little guy so isn't heavy which is great for the climbs, but with the trailer being around 22lbs and him growing like a week I don't think I can pull the climbs much longer and will have to change to a flatter route.

It's really a great workout because the second I stop for a rest he's yelling "more more" and refuses to stop for more than 5 minutes which pushes me to get back on the bike and keep going.
My oldest son now is almost 3 but I started him in the trailer at 1 year. We just started our younger son. He is 9 months but has great head and neck control and is just about walking on his own. And we were ready to get back on the bikes!!!! The farthest my oldest has gone with me is 25 miles. And my youngest's PR is 12 miles in the trailer. Teach them young!
Old 09-12-16, 05:51 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok that's good to know. I waited until my son was 18mo before putting him in the Chariot and I'm sure the wife isn't going to let the daughter in until at least that if not longer so I was hoping he would be young enough by the time she is old enough.
Old 09-19-16, 08:01 AM
PumpedUpKicks

haha I wanted to put my son in earlier but my wife was worried he wasn't strong enough. I think she was right... I want them to be big enough to ride but don't want to speed up time because it goes by too fast anyway!! Hope all things are going well for y'all and congratulations
Old 09-19-16, 09:19 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well when we asked the doctor about it she said he's probably big and strong enough to ride and can more than likely keep his head up with the helmet on at 1 year, but the question is what if you roll it or take fall at speed? Is he / she big enough to be ok and walk away if you do happen to crash?

I couldn't say for certain at 1 year old, but at 18 mo it would have to be a pretty bad crash.
Old 09-25-16, 06:06 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to try really hard to roll a chariot over. I've never managed it, but one of my friends did. Both kids just hung there upside down in their 5 point harnesses, were totally fine, and yelling do it again dad!

There aren't that many scenarios that don't involve a car or seriously bad choices that would lead to a child getting hurt in a bike trailer.
Old 09-26-16, 08:38 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Originally Posted by Tim199
You have to try really hard to roll a chariot over. I've never managed it, but one of my friends did. Both kids just hung there upside down in their 5 point harnesses, were totally fine, and yelling do it again dad!

There aren't that many scenarios that don't involve a car or seriously bad choices that would lead to a child getting hurt in a bike trailer.
I've had my bike and me on the ground and the trailer stayed on two wheels! I do agree that unless your riding in traffic, I don't worry too much about it.