Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Sports 3 speeds

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Raleigh Sports 3 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 05:12 AM
Moonman802

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Sports 3 speeds

I have restored about 30 or 40 Sports as a hobby after numerous emails with Sheldon (RIP). He helped me understand the intricacies of SA hubs. But as I age I have found balance to be an issue with some of my friends. And I have been searching for either outriggers (training wheels) or trike conversions that I could integrate onto the old frames. Any workable leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-24, 07:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 4,063 Times in 2,710 Posts
A recumbent tadpole trike would be the best solution. An upright trike is less stable and training wheels by and large are for parents who don't understand how to balance and force their kids into the same. There are some I have seen for older kids with developmental delays but nothing I can recall that I would put on a 3 speed SA hub and have it work well.
Old 04-26-24, 08:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 985 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A recumbent tadpole trike would be the best solution. An upright trike is less stable and training wheels by and large are for parents who don't understand how to balance and force their kids into the same. There are some I have seen for older kids with developmental delays but nothing I can recall that I would put on a 3 speed SA hub and have it work well.
Agree with this. Upright tricycles are less stable than bicycles. I have seen pictures of racing tricycles cornering and the riders have to lean out past the rear wheel to keep themselves upright. The same thing would happen with "training wheels". For safety you need a much lower centre of gravity
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-26-24, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
Heavy-Duty Stabilizer Wheels for Adult Bicycles, The Original Training Aid fo... | eBay

I agree with the trike suggestion. However they tend to cost a few times what a "normal" bike costs for the same grade of equipment/parts, just like tandems do too. The link I provided is for an "adult sized" training wheel version. I've sold and installed a few years back (when i still ran Bike One), mostly for riders with various challenges. They do work but are nowhere near as "nice riding" as a trike is, or stable either. One nice design difference with these stabilizers is that they don't attach to the rear axle, thus when used with a IGH or der system don't interfere with axle nut engagement on those short SA axles Andy
Old 04-26-24, 09:50 AM
Moonman802

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not looking for new. I was looking for info, not debate thank you. Raleigh retrofitted some sports into trikes in the late 50’s early 60’s with a bolt on conversion. Looking for something similar. Also, as a footnote, an upright trike would be much easier for my friends (85+ in an elderly community) to mount than a recumbent. Maybe I should just look into a longer replacement axle for an SA to mount on a Sun trike.
Old 04-26-24, 10:40 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Agreed that most "training wheels" are junk - they don't teach kids how to ride a two wheeler, and don't provide improved stability at any speed (there have been sprung pivoting versions that are less bad, or even a bit useful). Upright trikes aren't terrible, just disconcerting if you're used to bikes, and do require more rider input at speed or on uneven surfaces. With a delta you have the problem that only one wheel drives unless you're going to fit a diff of some sort; the easier version is a double freewheel but that's sub-optimal for low speed turns, and a full diff has the classic spinning-one-wheel issue that must be countered with a LSD (which then makes it a solid axle, so still crap for turning) or differential braking which requires user input (or some form of traction control system). So keep the single RWD and double up on steering: double forks is possible, but alternatively you can bolt on what is effectively the middle section of a tadpole recumbent, there are even leaning versions of this layout for cargo trikes, albeit not bolt-on conversions. But I wonder ...
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-26-24, 11:05 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Moonman802
Not looking for new. I was looking for info, not debate thank you. Raleigh retrofitted some sports into trikes in the late 50’s early 60’s with a bolt on conversion. Looking for something similar. Also, as a footnote, an upright trike would be much easier for my friends (85+ in an elderly community) to mount than a recumbent. Maybe I should just look into a longer replacement axle for an SA to mount on a Sun trike.
There are some really cheap Chinese trikes on the market now, selling new for the price of old used trikes but they are predictably heavy and low quality. I think if you could source just the axle assembly you could bolt it into a regular bike, like the old Holdsworth conversions. But worth the effort? It would require some bracketry and maybe welding, particularly if you want to use existing SA gears. I sympathise, my balance is not as good as it was, but I have a recumbent trike for the days I choose not to ride a bike (or drive a car). There are tadpole recumbents with higher more upright seating, built more for comfort than speed, that might be the sweet spot for your friends, if someone else could be persuaded to pay for them.
Old 04-26-24, 12:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonman802
Not looking for new. I was looking for info, not debate thank you. .
Debate isn't necessarily a bad thing. You will get information and opinions in a thread like this. Don't think of any of this as negative. I saw a thread a few years ago about a tricycle conversion kit installation by a long time member. His reaction was that the kit made the bike/trike unrideable and dangerous, and he is an experienced cyclist. One downside of stabilizers/"training wheels" is if you set them to hold you up on flat ground, without wobbling, irregularities in the road surface can lift the rear driving wheel off the ground. Just something to consider. If you are thinking about setting bikes up for seniors in their 80's please consider the consequences if those setups create extra danger

Last edited by alcjphil; 04-26-24 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 12:10 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 754 Posts
There are also lots of conversion kits available with some including everything you need including the wheels but I don't have any experience doing one of these or have any knowledge of the quality of any of the kits. bicycle to tricycle conversions - Search (bing.com)
Old 04-26-24, 12:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
The stability issue of upright trikes is being a bit overblown here. Yes, higher means more tippy, but at the speeds these tend to be used, they're more than adequately stable. Upright trikes are SOP in retirement communities all over Florida, so I doubt your clients would have issues.

There are various conversion kits made for exactly what you have, allowing use with the existing IGH hub.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-26-24, 12:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've sold, assembled and serviced a number of "adult trikes" (including Sun brand) and most brands have had a IGH 3 spd option (which I strongly recommend). All but a few old Schwinns had a right rear wheel drive (better to counter the road's crowning). Some of the customers were elderly, most were somehow "challenged" (not sure what the PC term is today...) and used their trikes for transportation. Stability hasn't been a mentioned issue for both groups IME.

One customer of ours (Allstar Bike Shop in Raleigh, NC) would get a new trike every few years when he was hit by a car pulling out of a parking lot, not bothering to look both ways for our customer on the sidewalk. The driver would show up at our shop with the trike "in tow" and just pay for a replacement it in full to avoid any insurance or police involvement. Andy
Old 04-26-24, 01:24 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
There are also lots of conversion kits available with some including everything you need including the wheels but I don't have any experience doing one of these or have any knowledge of the quality of any of the kits. bicycle to tricycle conversions - Search (bing.com)
Some of those results are the rear axle assembly from the cheapo Chinese trikes. Of the better looking kits, they're mostly for derailleur gears or coaster brakes, neither of which is suitable for retaining the IGH drive system on the 3 speed transplant-candidate bikes, at least without some metalworking.