Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Easy trails for a Couch Potato by Northgate in Walnut Creek

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 02-02-20, 06:39 AM
meru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,
I’m an absolute beginner to cycling. (My bike has been sitting in the garage for years.)

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any *very* easy trails close to Northgate Road and Doncaster Drive in Walnut Creek?

I should add I’m completely out of shape but hoping to change my couch potato ways! Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-20, 04:32 PM
prototoast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you talking about mountain biking? There are a lot of trails right by you that are technically easy, but nothing is flat, and unless you have some easy gears on your bike, you may have to walk it in a few places.

Anyway, as a starting route suggestion, head up Castle Rock rd, which turns to dirt inside the park. Turn right on Fairy Lantern Trail, which will take you up to Briones to Diablo regional trail. Follow that down, and you can either take Borges Ranch trail to Hanna Grove trail for a short loop, or Take Briones to Diablo all the way down to La Casa Via, and either ride home on the road (flat) or turn around on the trail.
Old 02-02-20, 11:24 PM
meru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply—very kind of you.
I think my bike could handle a flat dirt trail, but I wouldn’t trust it on anything steep. Also, I’ve never mountain biked before (and it looks really scary to me), so I’d prefer to stay on relatively flat terrain.

Originally Posted by prototoast
Are you talking about mountain biking? There are a lot of trails right by you that are technically easy, but nothing is flat, and unless you have some easy gears on your bike, you may have to walk it in a few places.

Anyway, as a starting route suggestion, head up Castle Rock rd, which turns to dirt inside the park. Turn right on Fairy Lantern Trail, which will take you up to Briones to Diablo regional trail. Follow that down, and you can either take Borges Ranch trail to Hanna Grove trail for a short loop, or Take Briones to Diablo all the way down to La Casa Via, and either ride home on the road (flat) or turn around on the trail.
Old 02-03-20, 01:06 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by meru
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply—very kind of you.
I think my bike could handle a flat dirt trail, but I wouldn’t trust it on anything steep. Also, I’ve never mountain biked before (and it looks really scary to me), so I’d prefer to stay on relatively flat terrain.
If you would prefer a flat easy paved route there are many multi use trails in the area. The contra costa canal trail goes right through that area, head towards Arbolado Park. It's behind the kid's playground near the lower section of the park. I take that trail when riding to and from Mt Diablo. One direction will take you towards John Muir Hospital on Ygnacio Valley, and the other direction will lead you towards Willow pass Rd in Concord.
Old 02-03-20, 02:08 PM
meru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great idea—thanks!

Thank you! I forgot about the trail by Arbolado Park— great idea! It sounds manageable for me as a beginner.
Likes For meru:
Old 02-10-20, 09:43 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
So if you go onto North Gate Rd, you can ride up to the top of Mt. Diablo. Three times up and down should suffice for a beginner.... I'm just kidding you, but when you get into better shape and feel up to it, you really should ride there, you live so close! Someone already mentioned the Canal Trail and IHT multi-use paths, what I would look for a trail map, which will give you mileages and routes along these trails. That way you can get an idea of what's out there and where you can go. There's actually a decent trail system throughout portions of the East Bay, which for the most part are pretty flat.
Old 02-10-20, 11:35 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
The local paved trails are managed by the East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD). A convenient site with links to many of there trails is:

https://www.ebparks.org/activities/biking/paved.htm

Using the CC Canal trail and then the Iron Horse Trail from your place you can get to pretty much all of them.

A local club, Valley Spokesmen, has three rides weekly (MWF) from Heather Farm Park which is not far from you also.

https://valleyspokesmen.wildapricot.org/ridecalendar

Maybe you are not ready for a group ride yet, but you can explore their routes.

Main thing is to ride.
Old 02-10-20, 11:39 PM
meru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good tip!

I see riders parking their cars in my neighborhood and taking their bikes out—I really should be taking more advantage of this beautiful mountain in my backyard!

Good tip about the trail map—thank you! 😀

Originally Posted by cthenn
So if you go onto North Gate Rd, you can ride up to the top of Mt. Diablo. Three times up and down should suffice for a beginner.... I'm just kidding you, but when you get into better shape and feel up to it, you really should ride there, you live so close! Someone already mentioned the Canal Trail and IHT multi-use paths, what I would look for a trail map, which will give you mileages and routes along these trails. That way you can get an idea of what's out there and where you can go. There's actually a decent trail system throughout portions of the East Bay, which for the most part are pretty flat.
Old 02-10-20, 11:48 PM
meru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good tip!

I see riders parking their cars in my neighborhood and taking their bikes out—I really should be taking more advantage of this beautiful mountain in my backyard!

Good tip about the trail map—thank you! 😀

Originally Posted by cthenn