Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-02-20, 11:46 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
USAFA grads get 60 days of paid leave before their first assignment. Mine too - except he has to stay 100 miles from home, so Europe ticket canceled.
He got a job at Laguna Beach Cyclery (after getting the approval that that was OK). I asked him how much he was getting paid and he didn't know. I just found out today after day 3.

Ride by and say hello. They are super busy. He's the kid with the big ring and furry hair and beard.
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-03-20, 02:51 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We just got 10 days between boot camp and our trade (MOS) school.
Old 05-03-20, 03:35 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by furiousferret
We just got 10 days between boot camp and our trade (MOS) school.
Did you have a 100 mile cord?
Old 05-03-20, 04:09 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Doge
Did you have a 100 mile cord?
Within the US. I'd take the 60 days though.
Old 05-03-20, 04:19 PM
Doge

Within the US. I'd take the 60 days though.
It was a well known perk that is gone, there is no real complaining, just a fact. Somehow I missed that you were in the military, so thank you for your service.

On another note he made an offer on a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house today near Luke AFB where he will be assigned till pilot training opens up. All the cash for the down payment he made investing his AF loan that many kids use to buy cars. The dude got huge returns over the last 3 years. Mom and I drove out to look yesterday as he had that 100mi leash.
Old 05-06-20, 08:26 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
After 3 months of going from total noob with Python programming and quickly pivoting into Django, I've got a "complete" site deployed on heroku (it's a popular Django deployment option, it seems). I have multi-user support, FTP history (I did this faster than Strava did lol) and stuff like being able to set initial PMC metrics. I'm fixing some bugs but I might invite some folks to give it a try and then start charging $50/month to access it lol
Old 05-06-20, 09:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've decided to run a bento on the TT bike given all these longer rides. That way can store junk that would go in a jersey and can instead wear my old skinsuit.......hello kom tries!

I can also try to leave the bento on there for TT's. It's more aero smoothing the air from the stem, and easily removed if anyone has a problem with it.

Tomorrow is long ride weeknight. I think I'll structure it around 3x12's at 100%. Segment is about 4.4mi each way with some elevation, but I average over 20mph on it. So, outbound, rest in neighborhood, inbound, rest in that neighbood, outbound, easy spin back. Workout itself probably an hour and change, then just cruise Z2 feeling fast and slick after that.
Old 05-06-20, 02:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Meat is the new toilette paper. I went to Costco this AM as part of a routine to pick up food items. Costco has done an excellent job of controlling the entrance to the store and the number of customers in the store reasonable to meet CDC social distancing guidelines. This AM the parking lot was crowded 15 minutes after opening. There was no line and I just walked in. The store looked like the old days.

The meat department was somewhere between a scrum and a mass start race sprint. Now to be fair, everyone had masks on. I feel so much better with a cloth mask on and a mini bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket.

Costco ordinarily has a lot of meat but today it was looking sparse. I did get everything I wanted but it was clear that within a couple of hours, everything would be gone. It will take awhile for people to fill their freezers with meat.

Stay safe and be well.
Old 05-09-20, 08:35 PM
furiousferret

I haven't been on as much as my browser has been set to Spanish and its super hard to understand everything (since I'm learning the language). In English I can read as fast as I want, but in Spanish its about a quarter of the speed. It also is super taxing; akin to that feeling you get after taking a test where you are just fried.

I'm making progress though. Amazed how much I know in just 2 months.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-10-20, 08:15 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I haven't been on as much as my browser has been set to Spanish and its super hard to understand everything (since I'm learning the language). In English I can read as fast as I want, but in Spanish its about a quarter of the speed. It also is super taxing; akin to that feeling you get after taking a test where you are just fried.

I'm making progress though. Amazed how much I know in just 2 months.
I imagine it'd be somewhat similar to how I'm feeling right now trying to learn the Colemak keyboard layout. My job is very typing heavy. I managed about 5 minutes of trying to do it Colemak-only so far after doing 30 minutes of drills. Unlearning/relearning muscle memory is a huge pain. But I've got wrist and ulnar nerve issues so I'm hoping it'll be worth it.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-10-20, 08:26 AM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
After 3 months of going from total noob with Python programming and quickly pivoting into Django, I've got a "complete" site deployed on heroku (it's a popular Django deployment option, it seems). I have multi-user support, FTP history (I did this faster than Strava did lol) and stuff like being able to set initial PMC metrics. I'm fixing some bugs but I might invite some folks to give it a try and then start charging $50/month to access it lol
Just wait til you have to worry about scaling, reliability, performance and resilience of the site! That's where the real fun starts (and my line of work )
Old 05-10-20, 12:37 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Just wait til you have to worry about scaling, reliability, performance and resilience of the site! That's where the real fun starts (and my line of work )
lol no kidding, I think I'll stick to hobbyist level. At 40, I'm a dinosaur to break into the tech industry anyway lol
Old 05-10-20, 03:54 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Meanwhile I'm strongly considering getting back into tech adjacent. My current division at work is busy but other sections are pretty bad, salary cuts and furloughs and layoffs and stuff all over. I somewhat enjoy what I do, parts of it, but other parts I really don't, and I don't see a ton of long term growth here, personally possibly but not company wise.

Got called by a guy I used to work with, offering a W2 contract doing what I used to do, and enjoy, energy management system OT stuff for utilities and system operators. I can go back to being an individual contributor instead of PM/manager, which sounds nice. Benefits are worse, no health or vacation or matching, but the hourly rate is nearly double my salary.

Work remotely, only downside is maybe 25-50% travel but he said I can negotiate down to 25% probably, and companies are learning through all of this that they don't need as much on site.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-10-20, 05:08 PM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
lol no kidding, I think I'll stick to hobbyist level. At 40, I'm a dinosaur to break into the tech industry anyway lol
To be honest, if you have a genuine interest in it you could probably surpass a lot of the folks I work with pretty quickly. I work with a number of engineers who don't seem to care to learn anything new or take any pride in what they build.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-10-20, 11:39 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Wife and I are selling our Arizona rental, closing early June if all goes well. Will get maybe 100k after taxes and realtor fees and looking into making a change. We want to buy a duplex somewhere. Don't know where yet. But we'd like to rent one side and Airbnb our side while we go on adventures. I want to work my side gig remotely but be close enough to travel for site visits as needed. So California is good because I'm licensed here and know earthquake design. Wife might be able to keep her job remote after all this. But we are also picky with wanting nice weather and easy access to national parks. Considering staying on the coast, maybe moving up to Oregon or Washington.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-11-20, 11:02 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts

5 time World Champ playing around.
Old 05-12-20, 09:18 PM
Doge

I can't find the thread, and I know this is active. Where can I find 20 sec power? I have searched. Seems all is 5sec and 1 min.
Old 05-15-20, 06:52 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Both kids have appointments one after the other this week to get checkups and vaccines.

The 2 year old won't wear his mask. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd write. Not sure if he's technically allowed without it, it's not clear for young kids.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-16-20, 08:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Finished watching Hollywood on Netflix. I was pretty solid and very well done. Beware...a lot of smoking.

It is definitely for mature audiences but what I found funny is in the rating, they list smoking along with sex, nudity and vulgarity. Who would have thought.
Old 05-17-20, 08:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Finished watching Hollywood on Netflix. I was pretty solid and very well done. Beware...a lot of smoking.

It is definitely for mature audiences but what I found funny is in the rating, they list smoking along with sex, nudity and vulgarity. Who would have thought.
I guess it makes sense if the point of the ratings is to protect young, impressionable minds. Smoking is evil, far worse than sex, nudity and vulgarity, which are natural. (well, maybe not vulgarity).
Old 05-18-20, 07:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I think it is time to replace the on-road power meter. It's the shorter crank I use for TT and road bike. It reads from 15 to 30w less than my Kickr and another meter on another bike (longer crank). Since it reads less than a smart trainer, that means drivetrain loss makes the difference even more.

When your ftp is under 300w, a 30w difference is massive.

By the power readings of that thing, I must be breaking physics on my TT rides to go the speeds I do on such low power. Must have a world record CdA even without ever tunnel testing. LOL.

Starting to not be something I can routinely ignore.
Old 05-18-20, 07:54 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think it is time to replace the on-road power meter. It's the shorter crank I use for TT and road bike. It reads from 15 to 30w less than my Kickr and another meter on another bike (longer crank). Since it reads less than a smart trainer, that means drivetrain loss makes the difference even more.

When your ftp is under 300w, a 30w difference is massive.

By the power readings of that thing, I must be breaking physics on my TT rides to go the speeds I do on such low power. Must have a world record CdA even without ever tunnel testing. LOL.

Starting to not be something I can routinely ignore.
Why?

Hear me out for a second... If your PM on your cranks consistently reads X watts lower (or higher), and you know what your wattage ranges should be on that powermeter (i.e. YOU're calibrated to that PM), then does it matter?

For example, if you know that when the PM reads 300w that is about all you can sustain for a 20 minute solo breakaway, does it really matter what your real threshold is?
Likes For kensuf:
Old 05-18-20, 08:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by kensuf
Why?

Hear me out for a second... If your PM on your cranks consistently reads X watts lower (or higher), and you know what your wattage ranges should be on that powermeter (i.e. YOU're calibrated to that PM), then does it matter?

For example, if you know that when the PM reads 300w that is about all you can sustain for a 20 minute solo breakaway, does it really matter what your real threshold is?
When doing workouts and looking at your TSS and CTL numbers, it matters. If it reads this low, and you do a 3x threshold workout........instead of 75 TSS you may only get 50 because the training software saw it as you only doing 3x efforts at steady state instead of super threshold.

I also personally track time and TSS or TSB by zone. So, I won't appear to be accumulating any stress in the zone I did a workout in. Making the data worthless.

Yes, you're right.........in a "live" scenario knowing the offset is enough. I even go by feel sometimes in most of my TT stuff and just take cursory glances.

It's really screwing up the weekly training data now more so than caring about the instantaneous reading.
Old 05-18-20, 09:01 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
When doing workouts and looking at your TSS and CTL numbers, it matters. If it reads this low, and you do a 3x threshold workout........instead of 75 TSS you may only get 50 because the training software saw it as you only doing 3x efforts at steady state instead of super threshold.

I also personally track time and TSS or TSB by zone. So, I won't appear to be accumulating any stress in the zone I did a workout in. Making the data worthless.

Yes, you're right.........in a "live" scenario knowing the offset is enough. I even go by feel sometimes in most of my TT stuff and just take cursory glances.

It's really screwing up the weekly training data now more so than caring about the instantaneous reading.
Is there a fix on that meter that you can adjust it in-line with what you think it should be to line up with your other readings?

I know on my Assioma I can change each pedal individually up or down a percentage.

You could also look at using software to bump all the numbers by a percentage before you upload them. More of a PITA, but cheaper than a new powermeter.
Old 05-18-20, 09:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I agree with burnthesheep with respect to accuracy of power meters. I aggregate power results from different bikes, road, track, time trial and tandem into software as I think most racers do that use power on the bike. I do not like the idea of one power meter (or more) being off no matter how consistent it is.

For me, 5 watts of FTP is a lot. In fact 1 watt is a lot. If a PM is already reading 30 watts low, 5 watts is even more difficult to make because it is a bigger percentage of a smaller number.

And for the big engine guys that have 350 watt FTPs, 1 watt is still a lot. If you think it isn’t, try to raise your FTP 1 watt per week. I mean really, what is 1 more watt on a 350 watt basis? In three months, you are up 12 watts. In a year, you are up 52 watts.

Power meters have to be accurate on both a relative and absolute basis to be useful and generate the correct amount of feedback to athletes.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.