Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Sports Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 07:48 PM
bcc101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Sports Tourer

I guess I placed this on the improper forum the other day.
I have a 1973 Sports Tourer I purchased new.
It is in very good condition- stored inside always.

The only modifications are new-1990 - Weinmen rims and a different seat.

The bike is large frame- 26 inch and is lemon yellow.

I am not sure what to do with it. Not sure the value nor if any one would want it.

I have gone through several road bikes and have decided to sell this or give it away as it has not been used for a long time

Thanks Bruce
Old 03-23-14, 08:09 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Those are sought after, but you won't get crazy money for it. Large size reduces value a bit. If condition is as good as described you could get $200 to $300 for it depending on your market. Need pics to truly access value.
Old 03-23-14, 08:26 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I agree with mparker on a $200 to maybe $300 value, but only if the paint, decals and chrome are excellent. If not then the value goes down. The value would be higher if the original wheels and saddle were included, anything not original hurts the value significantly on one of these. Since you are the original owner note that any original documentation (bill of sale, owner's manual, etc.) you could find would also help. Post some pics if you want a more accurate assessment.
Old 03-23-14, 08:47 PM
bcc101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a photo if that helps. I can get more tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike ad.jpg (99.7 KB, 425 views)
Old 03-23-14, 11:46 PM
Metacortex

From the photo I can see that it is a 26" frame in Kool Lemon. The paint/decals and chrome look good, besides the original Brooks B15 saddle it is also missing the original front derailleur, seat post, brake extension levers, 8.75" chrome spoke protector and the alloy chain guard on the Nervar crank (that would be hard to find/replace). The shifters appear to have been changed from the original stem mounted Twin-Stik to what appears to be SunTour Barcons, if they are stamped "Schwinn Approved" that would be better. Depending on the location it should still fetch at least $200, maybe more.

Last edited by Metacortex; 03-23-14 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 06:01 PM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by wrk101
Here's a Super Sport that brought $400 recently (note free shipping, but also note it is missing the Brooks saddle and a few other parts).

1974 Schwinn Super Sport Free Shipping | eBay
That one might have received a higher than normal price for a Super Sport because it is a '74 model not listed in the catalog. The Super Sport was discontinued in 1973, however Schwinn continued to build and sell them in '74 using left-over '72/'73 built frames but with '74 components (and paint colors).

Meanwhile, this is the highest a Sport Tourer has sold for, this one looks very original, complete with Brooks saddle ($299 + $100 ship, so basically $400 delivered as well). Ad is poorly crafted with sky high saddle height.

Vintage 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer TA Specialites Crank Brooks Saddle Excellent | eBay
That '74 Sports Tourer was just about all-original right down to the cables, toe clips and straps. Only the tires and handlebar tape had been changed. I agree a better crafted ad should have bid higher, but how much higher?

Sports Tourers have on occasion sold for considerably more. For example one sold for $750 two years ago, however that was kind of a fluke combination of a single committed buyer and a very high reserve.
Old 04-02-14, 08:25 AM
bcc101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to locate the seat and the alloy chain guard.
The brake lever extensions were removed many years ago as were the shifters. The rims were changed to Weinman, but the hubs are the original Schwinn.
At this time the original seatpost has not been located.

The bike was used by me for many years and was taken care of. It does show some signs of 40 years of use not abuse.
I guess my next step would be to check out Ebay.
Attached Images
DSC_1368.jpg (52.2 KB, 358 views)
DSC_1367.jpg (60.2 KB, 357 views)
DSC_1371.jpg (51.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 04-02-14, 09:26 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a very nice set of original brakes with the extenders for that bike if you might be interested.
Old 04-02-14, 05:28 PM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by bcc101
I was able to locate the seat and the alloy chain guard.
Excellent, that adds back some value. Note that the original rims were Weinmann, are you sure the ones on there now are replacements? Where is the bike located?
Old 04-06-14, 09:15 PM
reggieob

Bikes: A bunch of vintage Schwinns. Plus a 74 Peugeot, 75 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 80 Raleigh Competition GS, 85 Trek 660, 91 Serotta Colorado II, 92 Bridgestone MB-3, Rivendell Hillborne, All City Space Horse, Big Block and Nature Boy, Salsa Mukluk & TJack

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by otg
I have a very nice set of original brakes with the extenders for that bike if you might be interested.
I actually just bought this bike on eBay and would be interested in the brakes/safety extensions. Please PM me if you are still interested in selling. Thanks.
Old 04-06-14, 10:57 PM
Metacortex

I think you got a great deal: Schwinn Sports Tourer | eBay

The seller should have asked at least $100 more, especially on eBay. I do worry about the shipping though. The quoted price seems so low, and 2 out of 2 Sports Tourers I had shipped to me (both of which were "professionally" packed by LBSs) came resting on the large 54T chainrings and chainguards in the box, with bent chainrings and especially the hard-to-find guards as the result.
Old 04-07-14, 07:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Looks like the price shown is for packing, shipping is extra? Kool bike!
Old 04-14-14, 10:28 AM
reggieob

Bikes: A bunch of vintage Schwinns. Plus a 74 Peugeot, 75 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 80 Raleigh Competition GS, 85 Trek 660, 91 Serotta Colorado II, 92 Bridgestone MB-3, Rivendell Hillborne, All City Space Horse, Big Block and Nature Boy, Salsa Mukluk & TJack

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right - shipping was another $169...
Old 04-14-14, 06:30 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
a question for the schwinn experts -

i remember these bikes as having oversize main tubes and they required a special schwinn appproved huret front derailleur. yet this example looks to be fitted with a maeda sl front derailleur. is memory playing a trick on me?

thanks for any information.
Old 04-14-14, 07:55 PM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
a question for the schwinn experts -

i remember these bikes as having oversize main tubes and they required a special schwinn appproved huret front derailleur. yet this example looks to be fitted with a maeda sl front derailleur. is memory playing a trick on me?

thanks for any information.
from memory, the sports tourer should have a pretty common 26.8 clamp diameter. i know schwinn's low end stuff like the varsity had weird tube diameters though.
Old 04-14-14, 08:44 PM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by juvela
i remember these bikes as having oversize main tubes and they required a special schwinn appproved huret front derailleur.
I can confirm that the seat tube on these bikes is 29.4mm in diameter, just slightly larger than the 28.6mm found on most other bikes.
Old 04-14-14, 08:58 PM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
I can confirm that the seat tube on these bikes is 29.4mm in diameter, just slightly larger than the 28.6mm found on most other bikes.
he's right, im thinking of seatpost size i think.
Old 04-14-14, 10:36 PM
juvela

so how did that maeda sl fit on the bicycle? making an adaptation?

Last edited by juvela; 04-14-14 at 10:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 04-14-14, 11:58 PM
Metacortex

That derailleur has a split clamp with bolts on both sides (vs. a hinged clamp). The bolts appear to be long enough to allow a sufficient gap between the clamp and derailleur, which you can see in the pics.
Old 04-15-14, 11:03 AM
bcc101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to let you know, the Sports Tourer that has brought about so much discussion is the one I asked a few questions about a couple weeks ago.
Metacortex was helpful and since I decided to part with the bike I put it on ebay.

Yes I could have asked more, but did not feel like having a lingering sale and wished it to go to someone who would appreciate the bike.

I did purchase it new and used it a lot- also took care of the bike.

Some things like the suicide brake levers were removed many years ago as were the shifters. I found the bar end shifters to work very well.
The front derailleur I also swapped out long ago- I believe it is a Sun Tour.
I found my experience with the purchaser to be very positive and hope he enjoys the bike.
Bruce
Old 05-01-14, 09:38 AM
reggieob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a follow-up on this one: Metacortex mentioned issues related to damage in shipping, and it turns out this one suffered a bit as well. I noticed the rear skewer was bent when I unpacked - not a huge deal as I found another set for $25. This week, after a bit of a clean-up, I noticed I couldn't get the rear wheel in the dropouts. Looks like one of the dropouts got bent as well, and the rear triangle may be a bit bent too.

I'm going to take it to a local frame builder to see if he can get everything aligned - if not, looks like it's back to searching for another Sports Tourer. I don't think this was the seller's fault, just a combination of inadequate packing by the shop and really careless handling by UPS...
Old 05-01-14, 03:40 PM
juvela

hope there is good news for you from the framebuilder. coldsetting can oft accomplish a good deal.

alignment veteran.
Old 05-01-14, 05:06 PM
Metacortex

Sorry to hear that reggieob, I also hope you get some good news from the framebuilder.
Old 05-29-20, 03:35 PM
Madmonk1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing but a frame

Originally Posted by bcc101
I guess I placed this on the improper forum the other day.
I have a 1973 Sports Tourer I purchased new.
It is in very good condition- stored inside always.

The only modifications are new-1990 - Weinmen rims and a different seat.

The bike is large frame- 26 inch and is lemon yellow.

I am not sure what to do with it. Not sure the value nor if any one would want it.

I have gone through several road bikes and have decided to sell this or give it away as it has not been used for a long time

Thanks Bruce
I brought my Sports Tourer along when my new bride and I first got married. It became a bone of contention between us for years. Took up space!! Cannibalized parts from it over the years. Finally nothing but a frrame. She thought she had finally seen the last of it. NOT A CHANCE. Converted it into a fixie and use it with a Turbo trainer in my garage in the Winter. I'll be 70 this year and that beautiful red frame will be over 50!!
Old 06-04-20, 03:23 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Madmonk1
I brought my Sports Tourer along when my new bride and I first got married. It became a bone of contention between us for years. Took up space!! Cannibalized parts from it over the years. Finally nothing but a frrame. She thought she had finally seen the last of it. NOT A CHANCE. Converted it into a fixie and use it with a Turbo trainer in my garage in the Winter. I'll be 70 this year and that beautiful red frame will be over 50!!

Pics or it didn't happen.