Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Early spring riding, meh?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 04-06-20, 09:18 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Did 58 miles yesterday, almost all on the Legacy trail. I took the velo, since the weather this time of year is highly....variable... and the velo has a much wider comfort range for both wind and temps.

By 6 pm (I got home around 3), the wind was howling so hard I wouldn't even want to be driving in it.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 04-11-20, 11:47 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Jim - yep we got some magnolias going on up here on Rt 38...

Boston - another storm rolling in Sunday night into Monday ... not technically a Nor'Easter ... more like a "South-Wester..." at least it will bring with it warmer temps and a little humidity ...
Old 04-11-20, 04:36 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I was hoping I'd be done with the below freezing rides by now, but nope. UV Index of 5, with balaclava temperatures is an annoying combination, requiring the use of sunscreen to prevent a weird facial tan. Real spring might arrive by next weekend. The last week of March was far better than all of April so far.
Old 04-12-20, 06:14 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
What do you mean? We're getting another snow storm over the next few days in Denver. lol
Old 04-12-20, 10:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
What do you mean? We're getting another snow storm over the next few days in Denver. lol
Yup. 75°F yesterday

25°F today

Stupid Colorado weather!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-13-20, 06:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Not a fan of spring, come to Minneapolis, we do not really know what spring is.

This is Easter Day (Apr 12, 2020)

edit - for the record, it was 60F the day before ... so there's that.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-13-20 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 04-18-20, 05:58 AM
parkbrav

April 18th here, Boston is getting a "coating to 6 inches" of heavy wet snow flakes. Here in my neck of the woods, it is accumulating (slightly) on the grass and melting on contact with the pavement.

Grim and grimmer ... the next two weeks are scheduled for scattered showers
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 04-18-20, 06:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
The roads look ok and I’ll bet the few inches would be ok w/o studs off road. If I wasn’t nursing a knee I’d be out there

Old 04-18-20, 06:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Not a fan of spring, come to Minneapolis, we do not really know what spring is
edit - for the record, it was 60F the day before ... so there's that.
cruel. Hey what do you guys call yourselves? Minneapolins? That’s fun to say
Old 04-19-20, 02:42 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Finally warm here but 3 days in a row of diabolical wind. Double digit celsius temps all this week, but wind up to 40-50 km/h (which is an improvement over today). Time to take the winter tires off 1 bike and 2 vehicles. Hauling the Venza tires out of the basement and carrying the winter ones back down is quite the workout.
Old 04-20-20, 07:23 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cruel. Hey what do you guys call yourselves? Minneapolins? That’s fun to say
To be honest ... I didn't know and had to look it up: Minneapolitan I just we don't use the term very often around here.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-02-20, 04:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The Magnolias on Comm Ave are in full flower [April 6]; Boston's version of the Washington DC cherry blossoms.

Originally Posted by RedSon
Nice photos. I like it.
Thanks for that nice reply, @RedSon; any relation to @RedSox? The magnolias are well past peak, but other flowers are in full bloom.

I don’t know where you post from, but I have written about the Boston climate to this thread "Best cycling city in USA?
"Does a near-perfect weather place exist?"

Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
This short, sometimes fleeting Spring is noted by several natural and social mileposts: the first crocuses, Red Sox Opening Day (cancelled), the Comm Ave magnolias, The Boston Marathon (postponed until September),subsequent blossoming trees and flowers; and spring is firmly established by the second Sunday in May with the tens of thousands-strong Walk for Hunger (cancelled).

Today is May 2, the second Saturday in May, and an absolutely gorgeous Spring day.

In my mind I have described a distinct season of the finest Boston weather, that I call “Leg Season”:
Originally Posted by rholland1951
...Summer for the time being, and the more prized for it....

I celebrate the nice weather part of the year as a self-proclaimed "Leg Season," when short pants are the usual dress.

It starts on the first Sunday in May with the Annual Walk for Hunger, and ends on Columbus Day with the Annual Tufts 10 K Road Race, both attracting thousands of participants.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-03-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 05:39 AM
parkbrav

I agree, Jim, what a wonderful stretch of weather we expect to have over the next 14 days!
Old 05-09-20, 10:03 AM
parkbrav

May 9th and what can only be described as a freak round of cold Arctic air and non-accumulating snow showers up here in Rt 38 Boston. With a "cold snap" into the mid 40s by day, low 30s by night.

So I guess that Arctic Oscillation that kept the polar vortex out of here all winter finally cracked - in May - and sent us what is hopefully a final blast of cold weather

By mid July we will be reminiscing about how much we miss the lower temperatures.

Still, would it hurt if Boston got to warm up just a little? Please?

Last edited by parkbrav; 05-09-20 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 05-09-20, 02:54 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by parkbrav
would it hurt if Boston got to warm up just a little? Please?
I heard that, I have a few palm plants that are losing their sense of humor (as is my Wife). they're looking forward to their 4-5 months outside! we've got 3 more besides these 2

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-09-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 02:58 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
First heat wave of the year on the West Coast, FWIW. Having a facefull of sweat whenever I'm trying to do something, almost seems normal again ...
Old 05-09-20, 03:12 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Having a facefull of sweat whenever I'm trying to do something ...
thanks for the reminder. we should be patient, back East
Old 05-09-20, 05:11 PM
Jim from Boston

"Early spring riding, meh?"

I have written about the Boston climate to this thread "Best cycling city in USA?

Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
This short, sometimes fleeting Spring is noted by several natural and social mileposts: the first crocuses, Red Sox Opening Day (cancelled), the Comm Ave magnolias, The Boston Marathon (postponed until September),subsequent blossoming trees and flowers; and spring is firmly established by the second Sunday in May with the tens of thousands-strong Walk for Hunger (cancelled).

Today is May 2, the second Saturday in May, and an absolutely gorgeous Spring day.
I celebrate the nice weather part of the year as a self-proclaimed "Leg Season," when short pants are the usual dress.

It starts on the first Sunday in May with the Annual Walk for Hunger, and ends on Columbus Day with the Annual Tufts 10 K Road Race, both attracting thousands of participants.
I agree, Jim, what a wonderful stretch of weather we expect to have over the next 14 days!
May 9th and what can only be described as a freak round of cold Arctic air and non-accumulating snow showers up here in Rt 38 Boston. With a "cold snap" into the mid 40s by day, low 30s by night.

So I guess that Arctic Oscillation that kept the polar vortex out of here all winter finally cracked - in May - and sent us what is hopefully a final blast of cold weather

By mid July we will be reminiscing about how much we miss the lower temperatures.

I heard that, I have a few palm plants that are losing their sense of humor (as is my Wife)

they're looking forward to their 4-5 months outside! we've got 3 more besides these 2
In 2004 when the Red Sox won the first World Series since 1912, Boston had defeated the “Curse of the Bambino (Babe Ruth)” who had been previously traded to the Yankees to satisfy a debt.

Have we unleashed a new demon upon ourselves by postponing the Boston Marathon and/or cancelling the Walk for Hunger, thus delaying Leg Season?

↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 05:13 PM
Jim from Boston

ɅɅɅɅ
just occurred to me, the winter forum will be going dormant soon. so sad. so used to this subforum being a go-to place for reliably, weird fun
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
First heat wave of the year on the West Coast, FWIW. Having a facefull of sweat whenever I'm trying to do something, almost seems normal again ..
thanks for the reminder. we should be patient, back East
Don’t let them gloat, @rumrunn6,
I think these […winter] cycling threads really “jump the shark,” when the California and Florida cyclists chime in.
As I posted earlier this year to the Metro Boston thread:
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Yesterday [March 15] was a great day for an all day ride.I packed snacks, a coffee mug, my Bluetooth speaker, and a zip up cycling fleece and rode from home to Myles Standish Forest. It took me 5 hours to get there...

I rode around the park for maybe 20 minutes before heading back to the entrance to sit and rest after the long 74 mile ride. I sat and finished my coffee and reveled in the days accomplishment.
Hi @Ghazmh,

I enjoyed and was impressed by your ride description, especially so early in the year. FYA there is a thread on the general Cycling Forum:
Originally Posted by Crosis
"A great cycling day"

Today [March 14] it was 84 degrees, bright sun and no clouds. I took out the new Trek Checkpoint ALR5. It performed like a gem. Smooth ride indeed.

We did about 20 miles. All in all it was a great day to be in the saddle.
The OP does not indicate his location, but I think it would be amusing to post your ride description on that thread to show BF how hardy we Metro Bostonians are, and rebut those sunny-faced cyclists' patronizing attitudes,e.g.especially with a chilly photo of the bare trees.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-20 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added photo of trees
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-09-20, 10:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts

My local club used to do a Mother’s Day ride. I can’t tell you how many times the ride was a cold wintery ride. No one along the Front Range in Colorado plants anything until after Mother’s Day. Even then, it can be dicey.

Silverton, high in the San Juan mountains, has a rhubarb festival in August because that’s about the only thing they can grow up there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-10-20, 07:15 AM
rumrunn6

don't mind hearing from Californians. reminds me when we took the kids to San Fran one March for a friends party. I was walking barefoot on green grass in shorts & a t-shirt. we rented bikes & rode the bridge across the Golden Straight to Sausalito & took the ferry back, at one point, I even took my shirt off, which my son criticized. some day he'll understand. back home, schools closed due to a blizzard & we had to dig the car out of the airport parking lot in Boston. it was fun in the sun, knowing it was so deifferent back home

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-10-20 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-10-20, 08:05 AM
Jim from Boston

I think these […winter] cycling threads really “jump the shark,” when the California and Florida cyclists chime in.
don't mind hearing from Californians. reminds me when we took the kids to San Fran one March for a friends party. I was walking barefoot on green grass in shorts & a t-shirt. we rented bikes & rode the bridge across the Golden Straight to Sausalito & took the ferry back, at one point, I even took my shirt off, which my son criticized. some day he'll understand.

back home, schools closed due to a blizzard & we had to dig the car out of the airport parking lot in Boston. it was fun in the sun, knowing it was so deifferent back home
We visited San Diego one December and it was indeed different and pleasant, but why do you think they call us “The Hub”? Someone once said all the culture out there is in the yogurt,
…PS: Here's a cartographic joke: A dowager from Beacon Hill once went to California. When asked how she got there, she replied, "By way of Dedham."

When asked how she liked California, she thought it was "nice, but too far from the Ocean."
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston.:
"Suggestions for next epic ride"

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour...It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.

One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth...

If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
In any case as I had previously posted,

just occurred to me, the winter forum will be going dormant soon. so sad. so used to this subforum being a go-to place for reliably, weird fun
One closer alternative to happy year-round riding IMO are the East Coast states of Virginia to Georgia
Visits to Virginia and South Carolina in March and April have convinced me that Spring in Boston is about one month behind the South, particularly for an early morning commuter
though South Carolina is reported to have come frequent severe Winter ice storms.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-11-20 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added quote about the quirkiness of Boston
Old 05-17-20, 08:46 AM
Jim from Boston

I posted the most recent entry to this thread on 5/10/20, 9:05 AM; it is now 5/17/20, about 10:30 AM. IMO. a one-week hiatus on the Winter Cycling Forum signals the end of Winter.
Last year I posted
Above reply posted 5/22/18, 3:46 PM; it is now 5/29/18, 5:42 PM. IMO, winter is over after a one week hiatus on the Winter Cycling Forum. Time to take off the studded tires .:

Then there was this thread started on July 23, 2009 "How do you handle approaching snow plows."
Originally Posted by DX Rider
I was just curious how other people approach the situation…
.Posted from Attleboro, MA.
Old 05-17-20, 08:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Did you see what it looks like in California already?:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21479493-post9.html
Old 05-18-20, 04:51 PM
parkbrav

@LeMOnd looks like someone forgot to water the lawn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.