Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Axle mounted 700C fenders for commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Axle mounted 700C fenders for commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
your battery location reminds me that I used to keep mine there as well, but inside a water bottle w/o the lid. I also insulated it with some bubble wrap before inserting into the water bottle. then used 2 plastic bags & rubber bands over the top to keep the weather out. how do you like having the battery there?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-13-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 09:39 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
your battery location reminds me that I used to keep mine there as well, but inside a water bottle w/o the lid. I also insulated it with some bubble wrap before inserting into the water bottle. then used 2 plastic bags & rubber bands over the top to keep the weather out. how do you like having the battery there?
That's a really cool idea! I like it, it's mounted low and out of the way. As you can see, I have it set up to where I don't have to remove the battery to charge it here at work. The extra cord that cannot be avoided I just wrap around the headtube. Not aero and weird looking but I don't care. Do you find protecting the batt from the cold extends the battery life? Not really a concern for me because I only need it to work 8 miles at a time where I have charging both at home and work but would be annoying to forget to charge and have it go dead, especially this time of year when it's dark both directions of my commute.

I DID have to adjust my brake cable length a little to clear the fenders but these canti brakes I have are INFINITELY adjustable it seems like.

Last edited by davei1980; 12-13-19 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For davei1980:
Old 12-28-19, 03:49 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I was just trying to remember a bike I had where I cut the fenders & lifted them & wondering if the cables prevented me from lifting them. but looks like they weren't a problem. I did it in stages, lifting them once them again higher. also worked on another bike doing the same thing especially when I mounted up the studded tires

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ide-tires.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...it-bike-2.html

then I got a MTB & did it all again. that's why I mentioned the rare technique that some ppl resort to

Similar concept as on the SKS Speedrockers I just installed. Well done!
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/

Old 12-28-19, 04:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by westrid_dad
Similar concept as on the SKS Speedrockers I just installed. Well done!
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/
oh excellent!