Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 03:35 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Always curious about those SMPs.. is there actually a way a rider utilizes/sits on that droopy part at the front? Otherwise.. why isn't it just a shortened saddle and save the weight?
I don't really know how to answer. It is not as if the front just isn't there. It does provide some support without putting a lot of pressure on an area that doesn't appreciate it. For some reason it works. SMP makes a lot of saddles that look the same but fit differently. I tried out most of them before settling on the Pro. Frankly with how many saddles and models and variations there are, I don't know how anyone ever finds one they like. Perhaps they just get used to whatever they get.

I have a Cinelli Supercorsa that I put a Brooks Swift saddle on. It was like breaking in a cinder block, but finally we have become compatible.
Old 04-19-20, 10:20 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'd have to disagree on that one. As a shop I can tell you that without a doubt I can't remember a single situation where any regular rider/enthusiast ever actually came to me to adjust their brakes. All seemed comfortable with turning a barrel adjuster and opening them up if you had a problem.

Since the switch to disc I see every single one of those guys. "I'm sure its easy but I don't have the tools and I don't know the first thing about bleeding brakes. I don't want to mess with it". Its one of the things I mentioned I like about disc. It has absolutely put more money into my pocket.

Also - worked on 4 BSO's today. These are "Bicycle Shaped Objects". Big box cheap bikes with no quality of components, assembly, adjustment or maintenance. All had been sitting for many years as well so rust, dust, dirt cobwebs and dead insect carcasses everywhere. All 4 had cable brakes and all worked just fine.
I can attest to this...I need to recable my cross bike. I've torn apart bikes to the frame, repainted and rebuilt them for fun in my garage. I dont know the first thing about hydro brakes. That combined with interna routing means I'll bring it to the shop just for new cables.

Though the apocalypse and leave of absence from work changes the equation slightly. So I'll probably bring the bike, cables lost inside the frame, and a puddle of the wrong hydraulic fluid to the shop lol.
Old 04-19-20, 10:50 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Always curious about those SMPs.. is there actually a way a rider utilizes/sits on that droopy part at the front? Otherwise.. why isn't it just a shortened saddle and save the weight?
Originally Posted by Johnk3
I don't really know how to answer. It is not as if the front just isn't there. It does provide some support without putting a lot of pressure on an area that doesn't appreciate it.
I think your SMP must be broken. They're supposed to straighten out as your speed increases, like the Concord.
Old 04-19-20, 10:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I can attest to this...I need to recable my cross bike. I've torn apart bikes to the frame, repainted and rebuilt them for fun in my garage. I dont know the first thing about hydro brakes. That combined with interna routing means I'll bring it to the shop just for new cables.

Though the apocalypse and leave of absence from work changes the equation slightly. So I'll probably bring the bike, cables lost inside the frame, and a puddle of the wrong hydraulic fluid to the shop lol.
If your bike is already cabled, tie some dental floss to the old cable before you pull it out and then use the floss to pull the new cable through the frame. If you fudge it up, tie a small bit of steel to some floss and pull it through the frame with a strong magnet. It's pretty easy.

Hydro brakes are easy, too. Most of the time, you just need to replace pads - pull the pads (there's one screw that you need to remove), carefully push the pistons back in to the calipers (use a tire lever or something flattish and wide-ish), put the new pads in (don't forget the screw) and you're done. It's literally 3 min per wheel.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-19-20, 11:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Something I find amusing is that there are cyclists who:

1. Think disc brakes are too much work, but wax their chain every week and love tubeless tires.
2. Think tubeless tires are too much hassle, but wax their chain every week and love disc brakes.
3. Think waxing a chain every week is too much hassle, but love tubeless tires and disc brakes.
53. Think tubeless tires, disc brakes, and chain waxing are all too much hassle, but use tubulars.
N. Wax their chain every week, run tubeless or tubular tires, and use disc brakes, but they can't be bothered to replace their bar tape more than once a decade.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-19-20, 11:19 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Something I find amusing is that there are cyclists who:

1. Think disc brakes are too much work, but wax their chain every week and love tubeless tires.
2. Think tubeless tires are too much hassle, but wax their chain every week and love disc brakes.
3. Think waxing a chain every week is too much hassle, but love tubeless tires and disc brakes.
53. Think tubeless tires, disc brakes, and chain waxing are all too much hassle, but use tubulars.
N. Wax their chain every week, run tubeless or tubular tires, and use disc brakes, but they can't be bothered to replace their bar tape more than once a decade.
I have at one point personally been each of those scenarios, depending on my fickle mood
Old 04-19-20, 01:56 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think your SMP must be broken. They're supposed to straighten out as your speed increases, like the Concord.
OMG, you must be right!!!

By the way, My wife and I flew on the Concorde with Air France from Paris to New York many years ago. The trip took about 2-1/2 hours; with the time zone difference, we arrived well before we left. It was a pretty fancy ride, they were pouring Dom Perignon champagne freely and serving beluga caviar and pate de foie gras before we took off. The plane was quite small, two seats on either side of a narrow aisle. They had a large speedometer on the front bulkhead that told you how fast you were going in terms of Mach. Most of the time the sky outside was not blue; it was black because we were so far above most of the earth's air. When I flew, the one way price was $4,000.00 per person. Someone else paid for it.
Old 04-19-20, 02:07 PM
Johnk3

About direct mount rim brakes: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/w...s-are-awesome/
Old 04-19-20, 03:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
".
."

I rode tubulars for decades and am going back to them. I've had the clincher nightmare; the tire coming off the rim at ~25mph after a blowout. I never want to do that again. I don't even like thinking about it. I've blown tubulars downhill at 40+. No big deal. I'm going back to keep it that way (and to fully enjoy descents).

A lifetime of tubular hassle vs that one crash - easy choice.

Now, waxing chains, dealing with discs and tubeless tires, naw. Not one of those exercises will help me sleep better at night.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-19-20 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Edit to correct poor paste
Old 04-19-20, 03:17 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
OMG, you must be right!!!

By the way, My wife and I flew on the Concorde with Air France from Paris to New York many years ago. The trip took about 2-1/2 hours; with the time zone difference, we arrived well before we left. It was a pretty fancy ride, they were pouring Dom Perignon champagne freely and serving beluga caviar and pate de foie gras before we took off. The plane was quite small, two seats on either side of a narrow aisle. They had a large speedometer on the front bulkhead that told you how fast you were going in terms of Mach. Most of the time the sky outside was not blue; it was black because we were so far above most of the earth's air. When I flew, the one way price was $4,000.00 per person. Someone else paid for it.
I have been on a Concorde also, at Boeing’s Museum of flight. I agree, it was very compact.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 04-20-20, 12:17 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Just from the outside the Concorde always just looked small. You could always tell when one was taking off from JFK from the sound. The environmentalists all complained about it and they were right. Half of NYC knew when they took off.
Old 04-20-20, 01:28 PM
Mesarider007

Bikes: 2015 Lynskey R-265, 1980 Fuji America Touring Bike, Surly Straggler, 1983 Fuji Espree Urban Bike Conversion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quite agree. Here in the arid Southwest rim brakes are just fine & disc brakes tend to pick up dust & grit. But I do like the disc brakes on my gravel bike.
So...guess I’ll go go with the flow & see what the industry feeds us.
Old 04-20-20, 01:35 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mesarider007
I quite agree. Here in the arid Southwest rim brakes are just fine & disc brakes tend to pick up dust & grit. But I do like the disc brakes on my gravel bike.
So...guess I’ll go go with the flow & see what the industry feeds us.
Are you saying that hard metal and resin compounds pick up more grit and dust than soft rubber compounds?
Old 04-20-20, 01:43 PM
Mesarider007

Bikes: 2015 Lynskey R-265, 1980 Fuji America Touring Bike, Surly Straggler, 1983 Fuji Espree Urban Bike Conversion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you saying that hard metal and resin compounds pick up more grit and dust than soft rubber compounds?
Hummm... I admit this does seem incongruous... Could it be the proximity of the disc brake(s) to the riding surface?
Old 04-20-20, 01:53 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mesarider007
Hummm... I admit this does seem incongruous... Could it be the proximity of the disc brake(s) to the riding surface?
I think that your premise is off, frankly. When discs pick up grit, you know that they pick up grit - they howl terribly - and that really only happens in the wet. What are you seeing that makes you think that discs are picking up a lot of grit and grime?
Old 04-20-20, 02:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

The nose gives more to control the bike with your thigh when off the saddle,

but the main reason I think is so that the cut-out can run all the way front and still have something to connect the two sides.