Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Moraga Canyon Bridge Closure Starting May 4

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 08:38 AM
ztmlgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

Canyon Road Bridge Replacement

"The construction of the Canyon Road bridge has begun and is moving into a new phase that will require the closing of the road Monday-Saturday from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm., beginning on Monday, May 4th. These times were set up to allow early morning and late afternoon travel through the area to reduce the impact upon residents. The Town is also taking advantage of the reduced traffic flows on Canyon Road due to the shelter-in-place requirements and school closures. The Town considered a number of traffic options during the construction period to ensure the safety of the construction workers, motorist safety, and the efficient construction of the project. Although the closure of Canyon Road, even for a portion of the day, was not the original plan, after Town staff examined the area with the contractor and observed the tight, compact area in which the construction is occurring, Town staff decided that the road closure option is the safest for both motorists and the construction workers and should allow the work to be done as quickly as possible, hopefully reducing the impact on residents. The Town will continuously monitor the road closure and the need for the road closure throughout the project, making adjustments or ending the closure when appropriate. The Town has also developed a system to expedite emergency vehicles through the area by notifying the construction crew if police, fire, or EMS units are responding to an emergency on the west side of the bridge. Once they are notified, the crew will open the roadway for emergency vehicles without delay. Moraga Police is coordinating this with the Moraga-Orinda Fire District, the Sheriff’s Office and other emergency services agencies in the area"

AFAIK, the MCC "workaround" is still available, although EBRPD has officially closed the portion of the MUP from the bridge to the Valle Vista staging area (due to the landslide at the bridge) and erected some fencing at Valle Vista to dissuade hikers and cyclists from using it. I've seen plenty of dog-walkers and hikers using that portion of the MUP to get to Valle Vista so it should be OK. Just keep an eye out for EBRPD police who may decide to show up now that the bridge will be closed and make their presence known..
Old 05-03-20, 02:22 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
the mercury news story mentions "some" Saturdays... sure would be nice to know which one, so I can plan ahead ?
Old 05-05-20, 10:23 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Well considering it says Monday through Saturday, I would just assume all Saturdays. I'll just save my rides out there for Sunday...
Old 05-05-20, 10:35 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Well considering it says Monday through Saturday, I would just assume all Saturdays. I'll just save my rides out there for Sunday...
The Canyon Road Replacement Project began April 20, with clearing and installation of a fence, according to the Moraga town website. The contractor, Bridgeway Civil Constructors of Vacaville, will work from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. some weekends. Beginning Monday, the bridge will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and some Saturdays to all traffic except for emergency vehicles, according to the Moraga website. Drivers can expect delays of at least 15 minutes on weekdays from 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. and on the weekends when the contractor is working.

lots of SOME in the story...
Old 05-09-20, 09:30 AM
shotwellian

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Has anyone tried the detour via Augusta Drive this week? Trying to get confirmation that it's currently doable!
Old 05-09-20, 02:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
The Canyon Road Replacement Project began April 20, with clearing and installation of a fence, according to the Moraga town website. The contractor, Bridgeway Civil Constructors of Vacaville, will work from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. some weekends. Beginning Monday, the bridge will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and some Saturdays to all traffic except for emergency vehicles, according to the Moraga website. Drivers can expect delays of at least 15 minutes on weekdays from 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. and on the weekends when the contractor is working.

lots of SOME in the story...
guess you could roll some dice then.
Old 05-09-20, 10:11 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
It was closed today. Lots of folks were changing ride plans on the spot.
Old 05-10-20, 08:19 AM
ztmlgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by shotwellian
Has anyone tried the detour via Augusta Drive this week? Trying to get confirmation that it's currently doable!
Yes, the Augusta Drive workaround is doable. I have ridden it every day this past week and have seen many other riders on it. Strava shows a couple hundred riders using it in the last week.. Someone has recently pushed open the chain-link fence barricading the end of the trail so you don't even need to lift your bike over the rails or traverse the foot path at the end. This was taken yesterday, Saturday May 9. Also, no sign so far of EBRPD police who had made a presence during previous closures.

Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 05-10-20, 09:04 AM
shotwellian

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Great - thank for this local intel!
Old 05-18-20, 05:46 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Has anyone been through here on a Sunday, the one day it's supposed to be open? It'd be nice to know that it actually is open on Sundays in case I head through there.
Old 06-25-20, 11:38 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like the new bridge is open now? Haven't been through there in a while, but I just saw this update on Moraga's website:

Posted on: June 23, 2020

Canyon Road Bridge Project Update - June 23

The Canyon Road Bridge is now open. Please expect traffic delays for up to 15 minutes or more between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm as construction continues. Future closures will be scheduled on an as-needed basis.

Has anyone been over it yet? Sounds like there's still construction around the bridge.
Old 06-26-20, 11:25 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I’ve been over it and yes it’s open. Basically like it was before with one-way traffic only and stop lights on each side. And yes, there is still construction going on.
Likes For 77Eric:
Old 06-30-20, 09:56 PM
cthenn

Closed Friday July 3, FYI