Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why not to get angry at drivers..

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 03:08 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought this was a thoughtful, well-reasoned post:

https://blog.lib.umn.edu/thil0020/car...12.html#034128

"Moreover, it's foolish to continually blame the drivers for their own bad driving. I'd be better off to use my head to knock down a brick wall. The situation is a simple one - driving is a birthright in our society, and even the worst drivers who habitually abuse that right get a second chance. And a third... And, bad drivers aside, as long as there are cars on the road, even good drivers, the best drivers, will make mistakes. Momentary lapses of attention or judgement that end in tragedy. The news is full of stories like this. Every single day. We cyclists best get used to it."
Old 12-19-05, 03:18 PM
cog_nate 
"SURE!"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
While I agree that it's not much use to engage in an after-the-fact screamfest at a car that cuts you off, the blame line does have to end somewhere. Let's be honest, a lot of times yelling is the only way to avoid getting pulped, regardless of whether a motorist is deliberately crowding the edge of the road or just unaware of his/her surroundings. I've been bike commuting for about the same amount of time that this guy has, and I've had to yell twice simply to avoid being hit. Nothing obscene, just a loud "HEY!". Nothing particularly wrong with that, I don't think.
Old 12-19-05, 04:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Don't "blame the drivers for their own bad driving" - what a load of BS!
Old 12-19-05, 04:22 PM
peregrine
commuter all star

Bikes: '05 Fuji Cross, '04 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to just hang my head and accept my fate. I don't yell obsenities at drivers but like cog nate I've had to yell to be noticed.

"We cyclists best get used to it" I wouldn't say get used to it, but expect it. I can expect but NOT accept and excuse crappy, distracted, inconsiderate driving just because it happens.
Old 12-19-05, 04:24 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Our accountant has this taped to her computer monitor, dead-center:

Never assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Old 12-19-05, 04:30 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't think he means "don't blame them" but rather it's futile to make them take responsibility.

I've been riding bicycles and motorcycles for many years and I used to try to educate drivers. First with violence and threats, and later with reason. The simple fact of the matter is that neither works... there is nothing that you can say or do that will change these people's behaviour. There's only two motivations that work... inconvenience (read monetary) and self awareness (really, really rare).

It's a shame, but it's the reality. After having lived in Europe and having been treated far better on any two wheeled transport, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to move back. I love America, but our society is about to hit critical mass for ignorance and self righteous indignation.

Az
Old 12-19-05, 04:34 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about yelling at wrong-way cyclists?
Old 12-19-05, 04:58 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I disagree that all drivers can't be changed. I do agree that they won't all change at once or because of something one person says but I personally have changed the aggressive behavior of at least two drivers that I see on my commute. One just took getting used to seeing me and the other took a screaming match. But they both pass me with much more room and no horn now.
Old 12-19-05, 05:59 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
I love America, but our society is about to hit critical mass for ignorance and self righteous indignation.

Az
About to? Didn't the last election confirm that?
Old 12-19-05, 06:20 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Don't "blame the drivers for their own bad driving" - what a load of BS!
Actually, the problem goes much deeper than just the drivers, it's our whole warped society. You can't blame a dawg for peeing on the rug when nobody ever bothered to housebreak him.

I made the mistake of riding to the shopping mall to pick up a gift certificate tonight, so I am not real thrilled with drivers or humans in general at the moment. Sometimes it's real hard to see anything remaining of the Christmas spirit.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-19-05, 06:39 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by chipcom
Actually, the problem goes much deeper than just the drivers, it's our whole warped society. You can't blame a dawg for peeing on the rug when nobody ever bothered to housebreak him.

I made the mistake of riding to the shopping mall to pick up a gift certificate tonight, so I am not real thrilled with drivers or humans in general at the moment. Sometimes it's real hard to see anything remaining of the Christmas spirit.
Amen. I made the mistake of striking out on Saturday... couldn't find parking. Went home, went on the net, bought what I wanted, (paid extra for speedy delivery) and then went for a bike ride... avoiding the malls.
Old 12-19-05, 06:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
If you're going to have doggies, you should expect to tear out your carpets and deal with muddy footprints, holes in the back yard, chewed up stuff, and other issues. Educating motorists is a good idea, but anyone who thinks we'll ever be able to not be on constant alert for wackos and clueless people is living in a dream world.....

Burglars lurking on BF should take note of my canine welcoming committee. Someone tried to enter uninvited a couple years back. Lost a size 14 shoe before he jumped over the fence.
Old 12-19-05, 06:44 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I will start quoting you, and hire you for making analogies.

Dog peeing rug thing works for me ...
Old 12-19-05, 06:45 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
If I were to get angry at every amount of road stupidity then I would have to say that the amount of anger directed towards motorists would be proportionally equal to that directed at cyclists. I see the same percentage of people doing dumb things whether they're behind a steering wheel or handlebars. My conclusion is that a large amount of people simply do not know how to behave on the roads regardless of the vehicle they're operating.
Old 12-19-05, 06:52 PM
vegcrow
Vegan Biker

Bikes: Giant OC3, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost every day. A simple "Wrong way!" as I pass them.

I reserve the right to be angry at motorists. I may not yell at them or make obscene gestures, but I will certainly allow myself the right to feel angry. It gets the blood pumping.
Old 12-19-05, 06:58 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by banerjek
If you're going to have doggies, you should expect to tear out your carpets and deal with muddy footprints, holes in the back yard, chewed up stuff, and other issues. Educating motorists is a good idea, but anyone who thinks we'll ever be able to not be on constant alert for wackos and clueless people is living in a dream world.....

Burglars lurking on BF should take note of my canine welcoming committee. Someone tried to enter uninvited a couple years back. Lost a size 14 shoe before he jumped over the fence.
But on the flip side, if you are doing everything right (and those dogs DO look happy) you wouldn't expect to be barked at for no apparent reason.

Certainly my dogs never bark at me unless I have the chew toys and we are playing.

I don't believe motorists are "playing" with me when they yell and honk at me... in spite of my working hard to fit into their world.
Old 12-19-05, 07:25 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I ain't skeered, I got Thor, Dawg of Thunder!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-19-05, 07:37 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Hi Thor!
Old 12-19-05, 08:09 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
About to? Didn't the last election confirm that?

so true. so true.
Old 12-19-05, 08:50 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
If I were to get angry at every amount of road stupidity then I would have to say that the amount of anger directed towards motorists would be proportionally equal to that directed at cyclists. I see the same percentage of people doing dumb things whether they're behind a steering wheel or handlebars. My conclusion is that a large amount of people simply do not know how to behave on the roads regardless of the vehicle they're operating.
So who should I have gotten mad at last night? A family was double-parked in the bike lane on Clinton St. in Brooklyn Heights, unloading a car (thus sticking their arses out past the car to boot). I approached with caution as a car was flying up behind me when a wrong way cyclists flew past the car in the bike lane straight at me at high speed. Do I get pissed at the idiot double parker, the wrong way cyclist or the unaware motorist?
Old 12-19-05, 08:55 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So who should I have gotten mad at last night? A family was double-parked in the bike lane on Clinton St. in Brooklyn Heights, unloading a car (thus sticking their arses out past the car to boot). I approached with caution as a car was flying up behind me when a wrong way cyclists flew past the car in the bike lane straight at me at high speed. Do I get pissed at the idiot double parker, the wrong way cyclist or the unaware motorist?
You have two choices in such a situation. Get pissed at all of them. Or get pissed at none of them. Be a model of equal opportunity.
Old 12-19-05, 09:26 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Having driven in Brooklyn, the only way to unload your car most times is to double park. Circling around for an hour looking for parking multiple blocks away from your home isn't a realistic option for loading/unloading your car. The guy flying up the street is an annoyance, but a common one. The wrong-way cyclist, however, is the worst offender in this situation, in my opinion. The cyclist is the one who turned a random string of annoyances into a near collision.
Old 12-19-05, 09:29 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Having driven in Brooklyn, the only way to unload your car most times is to double park. Circling around for an hour looking for parking multiple blocks away from your home isn't a realistic option for loading/unloading your car. The guy flying up the street is an annoyance, but a common one. The wrong-way cyclist, however, is the worst offender in this situation, in my opinion. The cyclist is the one who turned a random string of annoyances into a near collision.
Dingdingdingding!!! WINNAR!! That's what I did. I grew-up there so I know what it's like to try to park. Still, in that narrow stretch the family should have done what I do in my 'hood (Washington Heights). Pull-up to the nearest fire hydrant and use an "old lady" shopping cart to get stuff to their apartment (yes, I think it's fine to stand at a fire hyrdant).
Old 12-21-05, 07:38 AM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There something about bike riding that when a car does mess up, I take it far more personally than if I were driving another car.
Old 12-21-05, 07:44 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ha Ha
Im a peak season Temp for UPS right now....
Thor, dawg 'o skeeriness would have me throwing smoke off of my heals
jumping back in the truck

Another reason not to yell at people is that you might realize you know them
2 seconds into your flip out, as has happened to me about 3 times in my
illustrious cycling carreer. Very embarrasing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.