Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Doctor confirmed the Parkinson's today.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 08:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

I didn't want to pirate or hijack Chipmonk's (sp?) thread any more so here the latest report. I saw my Primary Care Physician this afternoon and he confirmed what the ENT physician suspected as best as can be done. As there is no lab test or imaging for PD's diagnosis this is as affirmative as I can get from the docs. He will take care of me but he did refer me to a neurologist for long term care and to keep me in the best possible care he can (I get on with him very well , he is a cyclist, too)

I can manage things quite well and no cycling restrictions, makes things all good right now. I am avoiding taking levadopa right now, when it is time I will deal with that one. I'm doing 25+ miles on most days and have no problems while riding at all, if necessary I'll see about a trike so I don't slack off on my riding or get soft.

No pity is sought, just letting the gang here know what I was gone for this summer. Stay safe and ride every chance y'all get.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-25-14, 08:19 PM
Oceanblue

Bikes: Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know you but as a fellow biker I wish you the best. Sounds like you have a good attitude.
Old 08-25-14, 08:44 PM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's three years ago. Granted he wasn't a cyclist but his life has changed over the last 3 years. As far as I know, he's still the early stages of PD and is taking Azilect for it. He's still able to take care of himself in terms of cooking, bathing and dressing. He's still works full time but ended taking up another position at his employer because he can't perform some of his work duties due to PD.
Old 08-25-14, 08:44 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
No pity is sought, just letting the gang here know what I was gone for this summer. Stay safe and ride every chance y'all get.

Bill
Well, you are getting some anyways. Sorry to hear Bill. Wishing you the best in dealing with a new challenge.
Old 08-25-14, 08:50 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bill - you are one of my heroes - likely the gentlest and most caring and most supportive person in this forum. You are always there with a kind word and good bicycle info.

I hope the forum and I can reciprocate during your new challenge in life. You have certainly overcome many other challenges.

My very best.
Old 08-25-14, 10:11 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I only know you through a few responses to my posts and to your responses to those of others, but I know you are a big heart with a gentle soul that has the strength to work though this, whatever the path. I wish you the best and I know that you will be an inspiration to all of us who have challenges now or in our futures. Best wishes ....... and, keep riding!
Old 08-25-14, 10:18 PM
oldpuck81

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit, Motobecane HAL6 Expert & Fantom 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't' ever give up, sir. Fight on and have fun doing it.
Old 08-25-14, 11:13 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Yep. Best guy in the forum.

I know you'll meet this challenge well. I'm looking up to you already for what challenges you've met so far.
Old 08-25-14, 11:30 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
As long as you're able to ride, thank the "big guy upstairs" for each day! You've been an encouragement to many of us, so thank you!
Old 08-26-14, 05:33 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear of this Bill. Stay strong and keep the awesome attitude that you have as you have always been a fighter in more ways than one. Keep riding as riding is one of those elements that can give us serenity and peace of mind no matter what the challenges are and adversaries are that can affect us in our lives.

Semper Fi Bill

Gary
Old 08-26-14, 05:42 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hope cycling slows the progress.
Old 08-26-14, 05:51 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Thanks so much to all of you, I'm actually very much at peace with things.

Mikey, the doctor said I had probably slowed things, and also made it much easier to manage things, with the weight loss and fitness that cycling has accomplished.

Everyone else, again my thanks, please channel the sorrow and any pity to the members here really fighting some harsh things life had thrown them. The support a person receives from the 50+ forum is amazing and very encouraging, please don't ever change, all of you.

To tell everyone the truth, this isn't more of a challenge than the surgeries between 2000 and 2010 were, they were totally uncertain in when things would occur and anesthesia was really rougher each time, the complications seemed to be the harshest part, that all resulted in a permanent open abdominal wound and chronic kidney disease. PD has its harsh parts, it can be very debilitating, fortunately it seems mine is very early and not manifesting itself in the severe tremors that it can have.

To anyone else with PD, or to all of you for that matter, I want to recommend a book to you, "The Pursuit of Happiness" by Davis Phinney, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 its about his battle with PD and his son Tyler, the professional cyclist for BMC. Excellent read and puts things in perspective very well. I got the Kindle edition but I'm going to order the print in order to share it with others. I also ordered the Davis Phinney Foundation's https://www.davisphinneyfoundation.org/ book on managing PD, its free from the foundation and will also order their exercise DVD series (its free, too.) there is an amazing amount of material out there for me to use, and several groups to turn to for advice and help. The best part is my PCP, he is a cyclist, too, and he is one good man, Dr. David Martin.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-26-14 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-26-14, 05:52 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear. Keep strong keep riding. No one deserves these things. My thoughts are with you peace.
Old 08-26-14, 06:03 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Hey Bill,

Go for a trike. They are most comfortable.

Starting to return to riding this Wednesday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ready to Ride.jpg (99.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg
25 MPH LCPD 001.jpg (100.1 KB, 23 views)

Old 08-26-14, 07:43 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
What a great attitude you have, Bill. This is going to be a long road with potholes and slippery corners... oh geez, I suck at analogies but I admire your approach.
Old 08-26-14, 08:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Your strength and courage are an inspiration. I know that great strides have been made in the management of this disease, although as yet, no cure.
Soldier on!
Old 08-26-14, 08:10 AM
abrianb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were you Station at Lejuene prior to 1985? If so look up the Lejuene Health study, you may be entitled you may be eligble for benefits. There was some quite a bit of drinking water contamination between 1950 and 1985. Good Luck and Semper Fi.
Old 08-26-14, 08:16 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
What a great attitude you have, Bill. This is going to be a long road with potholes and slippery corners... oh geez, I suck at analogies but I admire your approach.
+1

The older I get the more I realize that just about everybody has something that they're struggling with. The difference is in the attitude. And yours will make the difference.

If you ever make it down to lala land, I'd be honored to ride with you, bike or trike.

Old 08-26-14, 08:16 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

abrianb,
Nope, not there in '85, I got out in 77, I wasn't stationed there (air wing,) I have read about the study and am familiar with the issues there from my work as a GC Quality Engineer for NAVFAC construction projects going on 26 years now. Semper Fi, Brother!!!

10Wheels and Vic, No plans for a trike right now, they may well come but I don't need one, yet and there are no current restrictions on my riding. The doctors are fine with my riding and encourage me to continue. Great to know that 10wheels is returning after that bad time from the accident, This makes my day.

Bill

Old 08-26-14, 09:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 841 Posts
I can't add much, other than to concur w/ Denver, Zinger and the others. I am glad you have been following the Davis Phinney story -- he and Connie are great, and of course their kids have "cycling genes." Bikey Mikey and I are preaching to the choir, but we do believe that physical activity often does slow the progress of PD and similiar maladies.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-26-14, 10:05 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Bill,

If there is one thing that I have learned from my leukemia is that every day is a great day. You can't change what you've already done and you don't know what's going to happen 5 minutes from now. Keep the spirit up and you'll do fine.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-26-14, 10:30 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw your name and the thread title and thought "no, really?"... I ditto what everyone else has already said. I will take your words of encouragement, that we should focus instead on others, to heart. I just ordered the Davis Phinney book and will think of you when I read it. All of my big things now seem so little... thanks for putting life in perspective.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-26-14, 10:47 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reading this Forum is like taking a peek through windows of neighbor's house as you walk by on a dark night. Inside some are dark with only a faint light. Others have the flicker of a TV showing their favorite show or movie. Others give a glimpse of human interaction.

Yet, others show the gritty reality of life. There are challenges that have to be dealt with. Some folks hang their head and look like they are saying: "Why me?" Others are just cowering in a corner hoping to be spared the challenge. Others are sitting in a fully lit room engaged with life. No cowering in the dark. Just a prayer for strength and encouragement during the dark times.

Bill, not only is your room lit. You are as well.
Old 08-26-14, 01:37 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Damn, just plain damn.
Old 08-26-14, 01:44 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just echoing the admiration and sentiments of others. You have always shown yourself to be a class act around here; this posting only enhances your reputation.

Ride on.

KB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.