Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Put Together a Counterfeit Bicycle i.e. Intentionally incorrect decals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has Anyone Put Together a Counterfeit Bicycle i.e. Intentionally incorrect decals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 08:33 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Aesthetics have their place, function has its place - it's not about ego - it's about enjoyment.
Do you clean your bike because of ego? (rhetorical question)
Likes For bulldog1935:
Old 08-25-16, 08:46 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
1. I intend to put old-style Raleigh Sports decals on my '74 Sports, but only because I think they look better.

2. I mounted a head badge from an old Soviet-era bike on my store-brand MTB commuter...just for laughs.
Old 08-25-16, 08:57 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I read through the 2014 thread on the Apollo/De Rosa, and I get the angst about misrepresenting a bike as something it's not. At the same time, for me it's not the moral sin it is for some, as long as it's clearly a superficial replica and not a careful fraud (like having a fiberglass bathtub Porsche shell on a VW bug frame. Randy's comments about what might go on with future sellers are valid, but at the same time, I think what the OP is proposing is unlikely to fool anyone who does a few minutes of research. An unscrupulous or ignorant seller might fool someone who is buying the bike as a tremendous bargain, but a serious buyer, willing to pay serious money, is likely to do enough research to easily spot the fake.

I used to have a couple of vintage Minis. That's a world where the value differences between a genuine Mini, a Mini Cooper, and a Mini Cooper S are far greater than the cost of building up an old Mini into a convincing Mini Cooper S. Add in the premium that the right paint color brings, and you have a world where people who buy and sell these cars have a lot of incentive to doctor a prosaic specimen into something far more valuable. These cars were originally dirt cheap, and bought in huge numbers by young guys who love to modify them back in the day. They rust like crazy. The electrical systems were terrible. The tiny engines begged to be augmented. Many were raced in amateur races. As a result, there are almost no truly original Minis that have survived, especially the valuable variants -- and yet there are a fair number of Red Mini Cooper S cars that are advertised as genuine.

In the Mini world, many people prefer the original Mark 1 style, and take later examples and change the grill and bumpers, and sometimes even the lights. You have a mix of functional mods, personal expression, and trickery. The people turning their Mk 3 Minis into Mk 1 because they like the look are no big deal -- it's easy to spot. The people trying to sell a tarted up pile of rust as a solid driver, or a simple Mini as a genuine Cooper S, are committing fraud. I think it's similar here.

I'm much more bothered by bicycle sellers who try to create false pedigrees for vintage bikes, or who assemble a repainted bike with a mix of vintage parts and sell it as a rare well-preserved all-original bike. Or sellers who cover up serious frame damage. I think if the OP makes sure there's a few obvious cues built into his 'homage' bike that would keep any reasonably thoughtful future buyer from being hoodwinked, I say go for it.

Although, as I think about it, ThermionicScott's suggestion is probably the best. Then it's a real Bianchi with a replacement fork.
Old 08-25-16, 09:00 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
This:

and this:
Old 08-25-16, 09:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Apparently, it is a thing. This was on the front page of the local CL a few min ago, a Raleigh painted up as a Bob Jackson: 1971 Raleigh Professional / Bob Jackson
Old 08-25-16, 09:51 AM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK. The issues brought up in this thread are a bit unexpected. I didn't expect this to become a discussion of seller disclosure morality. Let me explain a bit more about where/why I came up with this idea.

Two years ago, I set out on a quest to make the perfect celeste Bianchi. After 11 months, I ended up with this:
1989 Bianchi Quattro Celeste Ultegra - Pedal Room

It's a "nice" bike. But I had some issues with it.
1. It's heavy. I decided it was heavy because after making it, I found out Cromor is (a lot) heavier than the common Formula 2 tubing (I "proved" this using my several Bianchis and posted this info in one of the Bianchi threads). Once I was aware of this, I never quite looked at the bike in the same way. I don't need it to be superlight, but it should at least be as light a common Formula 2.
2. I ended up getting a Superleggera in 58. Not my size. I sold it to a friend. But after having it, I decided I preferred the mint-celeste colour over the metallic celeste colour of the Quattro I have (I find the "Bianchi" lettering has better contrast in the mint colour over the one I have).
3. The thought occurred to get a Superleggera in 52 and build it up. Issue I have is (1) I have not seen one for sale in 3 years of looking and (2) the frame is chromed under the paint, and if I had a choice for a rider, I wouldn't want that due to the brittleness of such paint.
4. I saw this De Rosa (pic) some time back. I think it is sick. I thought of making such a bike "the" bike for me.
5. Such a De Rosa would be beyond what I would be willing to budget. Second, if I'm honest with myself, I'd still prefer to ride a celeste Bianchi of the type I have described.
6. No such Bianchi exists. I want the chrome triangle, the chrome fork, the unchromed paint, and the paint decals of my preference. I'd also like it to be of "lighter tubing than Cromor, which such a bike likely would be.
7. The solution to getting the exact bike I want is to make one myself. A counterfeit.
8. A "sale" of this bike in any form, particularly of me passing it off as a genuine when I know it isn't, never crossed my mind at all. If I take the time and money to put this plan together, this "perfect" bike will be the one that goes to the grave with me. I hope that this is clear and if it isn't, I don't know what else to say to convince you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
De Rosa.jpg (98.7 KB, 267 views)
Old 08-25-16, 09:54 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Or the solution is to stop worrying about the exact chrome pattern and/or decal set and ride a bike that you like without pretending it's something that it's not.

Just say'n.
Old 08-25-16, 09:58 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I confess: My prestigious 2015 Velo Cheapo is actually just a cheap 1980 Apollo Prestige.

This is awesome and not just acceptable but cool.

I get putting decals on in a high theft are even though I would not do. I get putting custom decals. I get using variations of a same brand/model. Other than that I don't get and feel it's kinds geto. Just my .02.

If I really wanted I would take a Bianchi and get the rear and forks chromed. I could not ride a bike branded what it is not, I'm OCD like that, can't get my head around it.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 08-25-16 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 08-25-16, 09:58 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Absolutely have. Its a genuine Motobecane for one of the girls. Done for a number of reasons.

1: Fun
2: Challenge to create something from junk and ultra low budget. (Probably less than $25 in paint AND graphics)
3: Youngsters love the look and at the same time are curious while getting a brief history in this era of cycling and racing.

I don't care what the purist think. Its not for them and quite obvious not a team bike.

[IMG]1978 motobecane ocana tribute b by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1978 motobecane ocana tribute a by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by crank_addict; 08-25-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 10:16 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Does Aero-wheels on a 71-74 Peugeot count?

AHHH! The whites... They don't match!!!! MY EYES!!!

(Words of a former paint color matcher at PPG.)
Old 08-25-16, 10:19 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I'd put Schwinn decals on a Schwinn- or Trek decals on a Trek. My father in law has a 92-ish Schwinn Criss-Cross. I think the old Schwinn script logo with the starbursts is cool and iconic- I'd have no problem in repainting the CrissCross and doing a custom 50s style decal scheme. But I wouldn't label it a Paramount or something else that it's not.

I wouldn't put 531 decals on a bike that wasn't 531. I don't care how cool the decal is...

I understand there's great art in forgery. There are skills that are commendable...

I guess I don't understand the concept of pointlessly lying to myself.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-25-16, 10:21 AM
Don Marco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My post-powdercoat Trek 520 needed something and the original decals were rather boring, so I had these made up by a vinyl shop with a decent website that made it easy to order. It's my last name, cost less than $20.

Old 08-25-16, 10:22 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Huffy branded Land Shark. (A custom built steel bike built for Andy Hampston for the Giro d'Italia) Huffy was the team sponsor, but Andy didn't like their bikes. This happens all the time in the pro races, especially with saddles.
Old 08-25-16, 10:28 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
I have one of those Titans with no decals that were sold on eBay a few years back. I was thinking of getting one decal from 10 different makers and placing them on the frame. Just to be different and you can't call it a counterfeit.
Old 08-25-16, 10:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmicf
i hate nomenclature on anything, polo to porsche. If i were to rebuild, from paint to tires, i would just get decals that had nothing to do with bikes at all. Maybe my own name, or something quirky. Nomenclature, whether it is for a fun counterfeit or even the real thing is still just ego juice. You might as well focus the ego on yourself or something else, like a favorite band or football team.
My $0.02
+1
Old 08-25-16, 10:36 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Odd but I tend to see Pinarello knock offs and they are for sale as so. Three in the last couple months, one was a 2000 Univega. I think there is a replica model of Pin, maybe that's it?

Not sure what this one is.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/5747120953.html
That's a Chinarello.
Old 08-25-16, 11:23 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
I repainted an AMF 3 speed several years ago and renamed it Pompiere Vigile del Fuoco. I was a volunteer firefighter and those are Italian words for firemen. Pompiere is roughly "pump man" and Vigile del Fuoco is for firefighter. I just liked how it sounded and it was obvious the bike wasn't anything high end. I would not put actual decals from another bike on a counterfeit, but inventing a name is alright with me.

Many years ago I saw a Ford Fiesta painted exactly like Bill Elliot's race car. Nobody is going to confuse a Fiesta with a NASCAR race car, but it must have made the owner happy.
Old 08-25-16, 11:47 AM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
If you don't like your Bianchi well enough to ride it, why do you have such brand loyalty to Bianchi that you would want to brand an entirely different bike that you like *more* with the Bianchi name?

If you just want a celeste bike with a chrome fork and socks, by all means go for it, but what personal motivation do you have to be seen riding a bike just because of the brand?
Old 08-25-16, 12:59 PM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by willydstyle
If you don't like your Bianchi well enough to ride it, why do you have such brand loyalty to Bianchi that you would want to brand an entirely different bike that you like *more* with the Bianchi name?

If you just want a celeste bike with a chrome fork and socks, by all means go for it, but what personal motivation do you have to be seen riding a bike just because of the brand?
I like the exact look of the late 1980s mint celeste bianchi with the logo that I described. I don't care for non-celeste Bianchis or Bianchis with logos from other eras. So it is not an attachment to a brand per se, but a specific look from a specific era of a specific brand.

I also like the look of the De Rosa I attached. But my preference would be the same "type" of bike but with the celeste/chrome/decals as I described.
Old 08-25-16, 01:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Presented without comment:

An Apollo with decals that spell de rosa.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...a-replica.html
I do not even have to open the link to recall that one!
Fortunately, I have not seen it on eBay listed as a DeRosa
Old 08-25-16, 01:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Absolutely have. Its a genuine Motobecane for one of the girls. Done for a number of reasons.

1: Fun
2: Challenge to create something from junk and ultra low budget. (Probably less than $25 in paint AND graphics)
3: Youngsters love the look and at the same time are curious while getting a brief history in this era of cycling and racing.

I don't care what the purist think. Its not for them and quite obvious not a team bike.

[IMG]1978 motobecane ocana tribute b by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1978 motobecane ocana tribute a by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]
At least its the same brand, that is a defense.
Old 08-25-16, 01:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Make up some Bioynki, Bionkeh, or Bianchee decals and slap them on!
Old 08-25-16, 01:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
OP probably has a great interest in the Crampy throwing Athena under the bus thread.
Old 08-25-16, 02:22 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
AHHH! The whites... They don't match!!!! MY EYES!!!

(Words of a former paint color matcher at PPG.)

They will get closer with more time in our hot summer sun. I built it as a coffee shop bike and it turned into a fun little bike that I have used even on some group rides. The trouble is it gets more attention than some of my newer bikes when I lock it up. I had to get a case hardened chain and lock unless I park where I can see the thing. But I had the cap and Jersey so this is what I ended up with. I have with a straight face told people these were custom factory TT wheels back on 1974 and they just look and nod. The look on my builder friends face when I say this is priceless. Life is just too short to be too serious.
Old 08-25-16, 02:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I noticed Bianchi will only sell 2 sets of decals to any one person; presumably they have concerns about counterfeiting.

I want to get some nice shiny blue Enve stickers for my aluminum rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.