Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's got the studs on?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Who's got the studs on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 08:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I just made a purchase today from bikestuds.com. I'm going to convert the Continental Spike Claw 120s on my beater bike into Spike Claw 240s.

It's nearing the end of winter but we have a month to go. Toronto has been known to have snow into April. For those days when most of the snow is gone but the trails still have thin layers of ice all over them, I think it would be overkill to use my fatbike. Hence my beater bike, Giant Acapulco mountain bike.
Old 02-26-18, 08:16 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
My problem is I have only one winter/mudder bike, the rest I'm only taking out if the roads are dry and completely salt free. I need another beater so I can keep studs on one.
Yup, according to the weather forecast, we'll be back to what you describe very soon. I operate the same way, we just had a lot of rain recently, getting the salt off the roads.
Old 02-26-18, 10:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've never used studded tires. If it becomes too difficult or dangerous to get about on mtb type treads around here then I don't ride.

I learned the same lesson driving.
Old 02-27-18, 10:12 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I've never used studded tires. If it becomes too difficult or dangerous to get about on mtb type treads around here then I don't ride.

That's good advice. However, sometimes it's hard to tell what the conditions are the farther away from home you have to ride, and you don't know if you need studs until it's too late. Or I've had days when it's clear in the morning when I'm going to work but coming home there's a think layer of snow or icy areas that are slick. Also, living where we are there are many months when the temperature in the AM is below freezing but daytime temps are above, so moisture in the air sometimes forms slick patches on the road.

If I didn't have the security of studded tires I'd give up probably 30% of my commutes just because there's an odd chance that there's slick conditions somewhere.
Old 02-27-18, 03:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast

Originally Posted by mcours2006
That's good advice. However, sometimes it's hard to tell what the conditions are the farther away from home you have to ride, and you don't know if you need studs until it's too late….

Also, living where we are there are many months when the temperature in the AM is below freezing but daytime temps are above, so moisture in the air sometimes forms slick patches on the road.

If I didn't have the security of studded tires I'd give up probably 30% of my commutes just because there's an odd chance that there's slick conditions somewhere.
Nicely said @mcours2006. Early after joining BikeForums in 2008, I deliberated the use of studded tires, and was swayed by this post from Rochester, NY (on a thread questioning the value of fenders vs studded tires):
Originally Posted by tsl
I dunno, maybe it's my age showing. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get salted away.

I figure gunk washes off quickly and easily. Broken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend.
Originally Posted by anx
I wish I had mine today for 5-10 minutes for the icy patches I hit (see above),but with the warmth they would have overkill for 90% of my ride.

Does using them unnecessarily on 'normal' conditions wear them at all I wonder?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Carbide studs are reputed to last a long time. I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement. Myfirst pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable.

However, now my beater bike is an aluminum Diverge Elite road bike and I have30 C Schwalbe Marathon studded tires, the narrowest I know of. I've not had a significant snow challenge with them since I ride well-plowed roads, but the previous (?) 35 C tires were good up to about 3 inches of new snow.

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
On one of my worst commuting days in decades, the roads were so slick, that cars couldn’t make it up one of my hills, yet I could with my studded tires.
When I do drive on icy roads, as well as cycle, my strategy is just to maintain control and keep away from other drivers.
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.
On the other hand, I have previously posted,
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling,mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my seriousaccident four years ago. The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.
When winter cycling I particularly emphazise wearing a rearview mirror because of that added danger of cars skidding, both behind and oncoming, and usually on narrowed roadways.

… When I do ride in nasty weather though my wife does chide me, "You just want to ride today so you can write about it on BikeForums."
BTW, though I didn't ride today, I was thinking that after this weekend's heavy rains, the streets might be clean enough to bring out the pristine carbon fiber bike, in storage since December. The studs stay on the beater through most of March.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-27-18 at 03:55 PM. Reason: dded BTW
Old 02-27-18, 03:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have bikes as transportation, so I use the one with studs when its right around 0 C and below.

this year Portland got the snow and at 600+ feet , over the coast range, nothing to talk about, out on the Coast..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-11-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 01:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
And mine are now off! Looking at the forecast it was just going to be too much dry pavement running, I'm sure there will still be a time or two I might regret it...

Anyone else back to plain rubber??
Nope. I just put up with the studs and their strength-building effects until snow and ice are a memory for the year.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-28-18, 07:11 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I put the studs on in mid-December and take them off in mid-March. February felt rather strange with studs but no ice.
Old 03-01-18, 04:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
with Feb temps rising like crazy, figured it was safe to do my car's tire changeover early, figures a large Nor'easter is gonna dump 3" of precip which may include 6-12" of snow Friday into Saturday as I leave just after sunrise for a 400 mile round trip to NY. reminds me of early December before I put them on
Old 03-01-18, 06:44 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
with Feb temps rising like crazy, figured it was safe to do my car's tire changeover early, figures a large Nor'easter is gonna dump 3" of precip which may include 6-12" of snow Friday into Saturday as I leave just after sunrise for a 400 mile round trip to NY. reminds me of early December before I put them on
You are ever so the optimist. Changing over to studs is an easy enough job, but it's a bit of a pain on car, even if you have them already mounted on rims.

We're expecting a few cm this weekend as well starting today during PM rush hour. I had the studs on, then last minute this morning took them off. I am gambling with the timing of the precipitation.
Old 03-01-18, 09:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
expecting a few cm this weekend as well starting today during PM rush hour. I had the studs on, then last minute this morning took them off. I am gambling with the timing of the precipitation.
yeah you are. if my Mom doesn't want to go out for her B-Day Saturday due to the weather & makes me stay home, I can take my studded bike out for one last ride in the mess
Old 03-01-18, 10:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
You are ever so the optimist. Changing over to studs is an easy enough job, but it's a bit of a pain on car, even If you have them already mounted on rims.

We're expecting a few cm this weekend as well starting today during PM rush hour. I had the studs on, then last minute this morning took them off. I am gambling with the timing of the precipitation.
Just two days ago I posted on this thread,
… BTW,though I didn't ride today, I was thinking that after this weekend's heavy rains, the streets might be clean enough to bring out the pristine carbon fiber bike, in storage since December. The studs stay on the beater through most of March

Carbide studs are reputed to last a long time. I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement. However, now my beater bike is an aluminum Diverge Elite road bike and I have 30 C Schwalbe Marathon studded tires, the narrowest I know of.

I've not had a significant snow challenge with them since I ride well-plowed roads, but the previous (?) 35 C tires were good up to about 3 inches of new snow.

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
As a busy early morning commuter, it’s just too much trouble to change tires with the weather.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-01-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 12:25 PM
mcours2006

As a busy early morning commuter, it’s just too much trouble to change tires with the weather.
I agree, and those few minutes you save with dry tires you give up fiddling with the tire change anyway. However, it would be a nicer ride.
Old 03-02-18, 07:27 PM
Jim from Boston

... As a busy early morning commuter, it’s just too much trouble to change tires with the weather.
I agree, and those few minutes you save with dry tires you give up fiddling with the tire change anyway. However, it would be a nicer ride.
Thanks for your advice,@mcours, but as I noted above,
… BTW,though I didn't ride today,I was thinking that after this weekend's heavy rains, the streets might be clean enough to bring out the pristine carbon fiber bike, in storage since December. The studs stay on the beater through most of March…

After today’s rainy deluge, the streets should be pristine (except for downed trees and branches), and I’ll bring out my carbon fiber bike for a ride I describe as “ethereal.”
Old 03-10-18, 11:25 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've got two sets of wheels for my 20" folder. I really like having studded tires when I need them and I like being able to just swap wheels.