Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding safely in very hot weather

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 03:35 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Here in the UK we're experiencing a sustained heatwave that is likely to go on for several more weeks.

I guess many people on here live in areas where it's very hot a lot of the time, so I'm looking for tips on cycling in very hot weather.

Obviously I know about staying hydrated but the sheer effort required on the ascents causes my heart rate to climb quite a bit.

Whilst being quite fit in general, as I do a lot of weight-training and cardio workouts, it's the heat that's proving to be tough to cope with.
Old 07-03-18, 04:35 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Here in the UK we're experiencing a sustained heatwave that is likely to go on for several more weeks.

I guess many people on here live in areas where it's very hot a lot of the time, so I'm looking for tips on cycling in very hot weather.

Obviously I know about staying hydrated but the sheer effort required on the ascents causes my heart rate to climb quite a bit.

Whilst being quite fit in general, as I do a lot of weight-training and cardio workouts, it's the heat that's proving to be tough to cope with.
Don't do it. Its just not wise to do much of anything at the height of the summer heat. But unlike most jobs, exercise is changeable.

I had a friend that would go running in the noon day sun at triple digit temperatures. Insanity. Go early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. That's what do. Anything else is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-03-18, 06:35 AM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I wanted to get 650 miles for the month of June so I needed 34 miles on Saturday. 25 is about my average ride and I do a couple 30-40 miles per week if I have time on a specifc day. On Saturday in Michigan it was 91F and due to humidity, the heat index was 105F. I headed out in the heat and got about 6 miles before I decided to turn back. Then I had to ride in a headwind. My strength was sapped and only rode 12 miles. I've done this in the past with similar results; not sure why I thought it would be different!
Old 07-03-18, 06:44 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Hydrate very well, before, during, and after.
Coverup as much as possible, for sun safety and less heat radiation.
Long sleves that breeve are smart.
Sun screen on exposed parts.
I often do rides in TX heat close to 100 and these suggestions work for me.
Old 07-03-18, 06:47 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Ride really fast so the breeze cools you down.
Old 07-03-18, 06:49 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I just don't do it. I've gone on short 10-15 mile rides where I started cramping really bad towards the end because it was just so hot. In the middle of summer if I don't get out before 10am I just don't go. I can always hit the gym or just do something else. I love riding, but not that much.
Old 07-03-18, 07:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I believe it toughens you up, I see it as a training opportunity. Just don't overdo it, obviously, and know your limits. Know what it feels like to knock on death's door from heat prostration, and stop just short of that. Knowing that the same ride will seem like cake when temps return back to normal.

The more time you spend in the heat, the more used to it you get. A heat wave that comes on suddenly and unexpectedly is hardest to deal with, because your body has not had to deal with it recently. However, the best way to get used to it, and plus get the training effect, is to just face it head-on and give it your best. You can't do more than that, IMO.

Stay hydrated of course, protect yourself from the sun, and know your limits.
Old 07-03-18, 07:20 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Bring several wet hand towels in ziplock bags. You may want to cycle with one hanging around your neck on your head.
Old 07-03-18, 07:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Ride early in the morning when it's still relatively cool and avoid riding in the afternoon when it's really hot.
Old 07-03-18, 07:57 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Drink fluids, pace yourself, and take breaks in the shade. For me, It's not the actual riding that is hard, it is the stopping. While riding you are being cooled. Suddenly stopping and sitting in the sun at an intersection surrounded by pavement and concrete that is probably 135-140° is an instant helpless feeling of baking and overheating with no where to hide. I do a 40 mile loop often, several times in the last month I've lost roughly 4 lbs of water weight even while drinking at least a gallon of water (8 lbs) in just over 2 hours. Attempting to drink more was unsettling. Take a small towel to wipe your face. For better or worse, it gets easier. My ride yesterday mid afternoon in the sun at close to 100 air temp with a well above >100 heat index was only 0.2 mph off my moving average normal pace although I stopped more for breaks. For me the normal indicators of my overall effort and pace don't seem to be the limits when its really hot. It's other things like stomache, headache, mental awareness, HR, and effects of just being too hot seem to be the limit and I'm not as familiar with managing those so it is tricky.

Last edited by u235; 07-03-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 08:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Anyone with cardiac or significant respiratory problems, just stop reading now and go to the gym.

Heat acclimation, which is a well described physiological process, takes a few hot workouts, so take it easy for the first few days. After acclimation, you will sweat more and hold onto sodium more effectively.

Obviously, ride during the cooler hours. Hydrate and replace sodium continuously, go slow, and stay close to home until you know your limits. Then enjoy; you’ll be fine.

Dirty air, (ozone and PM 2.5, especially) which comes with heat in most of this country, is another story and can be a good reason to push workouts as early in the day as possible or stay home.
Old 07-03-18, 09:12 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Hydrate very well, before, during, and after.
Coverup as much as possible, for sun safety and less heat radiation.
Long sleves that breeve are smart.
Sun screen on exposed parts.
I often do rides in TX heat close to 100 and these suggestions work for me.
This, for sure.
Also if you do a hard day in heat take it easier the following day. You can't change the weather but you can reduce your effort, (admittedly after 100° every ride may seem hard).
Old 07-03-18, 11:03 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
- Riding early is good, it is cooler.
- Ride more slowly if necessary to keep your heart rate within your desired range.
- If you normally ride with water, consider using a drink with electrolytes.
- Also consider using insulated bottles and filling them with ice at the start.
- Have something on your head - helmet + headsweats (or equivalent).
- Pay attention to your feet, you may need to loosen your shoes during the ride if your feet swell.
- Keep moving as much as possible, for evaporative cooling effect.
- Consider reversing normal practice and ride down-wind at the start, up-wind at the end (to increase evaporative cooling at the end). There's a break-even point, of course, if it is very windy then the increased effort may negate the cooling benefit.
- Hot rides can take a lot out of you, hydrate a lot after the ride, rest as much as you can.
- The warmer you keep your house (particularly while you're sleeping), the more quickly you'll acclimate to hot weather. (Of course, you are the one who needs to decide if this is worth it. I'm a recreational cyclist, so for me the comfort of resting in A/C outweighs the benefit of being acclimated to the heat.)
- If you stop sweating, you're in deep trouble. Stop, get out of the sun and get fluids and electrolytes into your body as soon as you can.
- If you feel faint or light-headed, do the same.
- If you have underlying health problems (asthma, hypertension, arrhythmia, overweight, etc.), consider doing something other than cycling, or use the trainer, for a few days.
Old 07-03-18, 11:08 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Don't do it. Its just not wise to do much of anything at the height of the summer heat. But unlike most jobs, exercise is changeable.

I had a friend that would go running in the noon day sun at triple digit temperatures. Insanity. Go early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. That's what do. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Bingo. Only way to beat the heat is to not engage it in the first place. Either ride right at dawn or at dusk. Otherwise hydrate, cover up with light-weight light-colored clothing, and be prepared to sweat.

I've been pulling my Ride-0530 regmine for overnearly 2 months with temps around 40C and dewpoints of 25C at high noon (plus surface winds)...and temps here don't get below 30C until near midnight. Typically that kind of high-summer weather isn't here until starting now.
Old 07-03-18, 11:09 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Ride really fast so the breeze cools you down.
Ha, this is the advice I give to others in jest, but there is some truth in it. I plan my hot rides to constantly go into a head wind downhill.

Seriously, riding in hot weather is all about balancing your internal heat production, the environmental contribution, and your body's ability to cool itself. Heat production is a function of effort which can be controlled. The external environmental conditions are harder to control: ride in shade if possible, anticipate the conditions in advance. Self cooling ability is a function of acclimatization, which is in turn a function of fitness. Although you can radiate some heat away, the primary tool is evaporative cooling through sweating. Drink enough water so you continue to sweat and wear wicking clothing. One thing to keep in mind is that larger folks are not as efficient at evaporative cooling. This is simply because their ratio of body surface area to body volume is lower than smaller folks. The bottom line is that you need to go gently until you know how you react, and then moderate your activity as necessary.

As a daily commuter I am pretty much guaranteed to have a hot ride home (mornings too, like today). I can't say that it is pleasant; however I don't let it hamper my activity. It takes a couple of weeks to gain acclimatization so if you live in an area that is normally cool, a few days of high heat may not be enough. If that is the case, I recommend going swimming instead for those few days.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-03-18, 11:14 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Ha, this is the advice I give to others in jest, but there is some truth in it. I plan my hot rides to constantly go into a head wind downhill.

Seriously, riding in hot weather is all about balancing your internal heat production, the environmental contribution, and your body's ability to cool itself. Heat production is a function of effort which can be controlled. The external environmental conditions are harder to control: ride in shade if possible, anticipate the conditions in advance. Self cooling ability is a function of acclimatization, which is in turn a function of fitness. Although you can radiate some heat away, the primary tool is evaporative cooling through sweating. Drink enough water so you continue to sweat and wear wicking clothing. One thing to keep in mind is that larger folks are not as efficient at evaporative cooling. This is simply because their ratio of body surface area to body volume is lower than smaller folks. The bottom line is that you need to go gently until you know how you react, and then moderate your activity as necessary.

As a daily commuter I am pretty much guaranteed to have a hot ride home (mornings too, like today). I can't say that it is pleasant; however I don't let it hamper my activity. It takes a couple of weeks to gain acclimatization so if you live in an area that is normally cool, a few days of high heat may not be enough. If that is the case, I recommend going swimming instead for those few days.

Good luck to you.
Only works in places with low enough humidity/dewpoint for sweat to actually evaporate.

Here in my neck of the woods...even the fanciest lightest-weight Assos/Castelli/whatever $500 miracle-cool-you-down jerseys/shorts will be sopping wet rags in about 5 minutes and stay that way no matter what. Because the dewpoint is too high for sweat to evaporate. Which of course worsens heat stroke--since sweat only cools you down when it evaporates.
Old 07-03-18, 03:46 PM
taz777

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I took plenty of water with me this evening. I had to stop several times to take on fluid, and I rode well within myself. When I got back home I had a hydration drink (minerals).
Old 07-04-18, 09:11 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Another recommendation for getting an early start ... right at sunrise or, if you have lights, even a bit before. If you can't avoid difficult hills, try to plan your ride to hit them earlier when it's cooler. As said by others, stay ahead on your hydration ... once you fall behind and get dehydrated, difficult to catch back up on the ride. I was on an 85 mile, hilly group ride last year where the temp got into the 90's with high humidity. Pouring cool water over my head and back was also quite refreshing (there were rest stops with extra water so that was an option). And don't pressure yourself to break any personal speed records when the heat is too much.
Old 07-04-18, 05:38 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Besides the other good suggestions here, on these really hot humid days I make a point to take it easy and to spin more, often staying in the small chainring most of the time.

Listen to your body.
Old 07-04-18, 11:00 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I took plenty of water with me this evening. I had to stop several times to take on fluid, and I rode well within myself. When I got back home I had a hydration drink (minerals).
Good to read that all went well.
Old 07-04-18, 11:05 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
When I'm cycling in hot weather … I wear a thick towel soaking wet directly over my head, then my baseball cap over the towel … My cap holds my HubBub large mirror, which is essential for me, so I can keep a close eye on what is behind me …. Then my bicycle helmet over my cap. I carry plenty of water, a minimum 2-3 quarts, unless I will be out cycling all day long, then I carry 4-5 quarts of water, and make sure that I am well hydrated before leaving the house.

I stop in the shade often …. Sometimes I will go inside the library or community center, where they have good air conditioning, or hang out at Starbucks or McDonald's for awhile.
Old 07-05-18, 03:34 AM
taz777

Originally Posted by etw
Besides the other good suggestions here, on these really hot humid days I make a point to take it easy and to spin more, often staying in the small chainring most of the time.

Listen to your body.
This is a good suggestion too!
Old 07-05-18, 07:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Once it goes north of 85-90F, I simply don't do it. I can't carry enough water to stay hydrated at those temps.
Old 07-05-18, 09:35 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
- Also consider using insulated bottles and filling them with ice at the start.
I have two insulated bottles, and will never ride with a non-insulated bottle. Drinking cold water compared to warm or hot water helps keep me cool. What I do is the night before a ride, fill the bottles halfway with water, then lay them on their side in the freezer. This creates a long piece of ice which keeps all the water cold.

That being said, though, you don't want to overdo it with the ice cold water. Several years back when I was helping someone mow some property, I had an insulated jug of ice water which I kept drinking from. Eventually all the ice cold water in my stomach made me throw up.

- Have something on your head - helmet + headsweats (or equivalent).
My wife bought me some sweat wicking do-rags to wear under my helmet but I keep forgetting to put one on before heading out. I have yet to test one out but I'm sure it will help keep my head cooler.

- Consider reversing normal practice and ride down-wind at the start, up-wind at the end (to increase evaporative cooling at the end). There's a break-even point, of course, if it is very windy then the increased effort may negate the cooling benefit.
One thing I've noticed is that riding with the wind is often hotter because if you're riding the same speed as your tailwind it feels like there is no air moving over you at all so no cooling effect.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 07-05-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 11:19 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I soak my shirt in water every now and then - you can do this with minimal water but using a sandwich sized ziploc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.