Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Street Signs

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Street Signs

Old 07-20-17, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got one from vacation, will come back & add it later
Old 08-06-17, 12:03 PM
Framebuilders

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are great!
Old 09-05-17, 07:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

not from vacation, I saw that one but forgot what thread I should share it in. saw these yesterday tho

found the summer vacation photo. poor quality cuz it's a screen grab I think. anyway I think this is in Eastham, MA

I have another from Washington D.C. but it's not with me, I might be able to find it on Google Street view for Pennsylvania Ave not far from the Newseum, yup here we go

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-08-17 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 10:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
And the answer to the question about sidewalks:

BicyclesUseSidewalk_1.jpg
BicyclesUseSidewalk_2.jpg
Old 09-16-17, 10:32 PM
CliffordK

And... A couple more.

There are a few of these "hot spot" markers. Most without the green, but a marker to where one can hopefully trigger the light sensors (and hopefully signals calibrated to bikes).

UsePedCrossing.jpg
SensorHotSpot.jpg
Old 09-16-17, 10:42 PM
CliffordK

And a couple more. I suppose there must be a reason to state the obvious.

PedestrianPriorityZone_1.jpg
PedestrianPriorityZone_2.jpg
Old 09-17-17, 02:28 AM
rumrunn6

just reminded me I had a sidewalk sign but it's not cycling related, or is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small baltimore DSCN2173.jpg (91.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 09-17-17, 08:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
And a couple more. I suppose there must be a reason to state the obvious.

Attachment 580951
I much prefer that than a sign that tells cyclists to dismount and walk.
Old 09-17-17, 09:00 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I much prefer that than a sign that tells cyclists to dismount and walk.
The first (white) sign was a bit odd, but I do think it was intended to be a bike path. Plus, I would imagine the local businesses want to appear to be "bike friendly".

The second (green) sign was part of the riverfront MUP/Bikeway, and was intended to be so. However, they frequently wall off a section of greenway with fencing. In the case above there was a concert that had drawn a crowd outside the fence. I was towing a trailer, and ended up backing out and going a different direction.

PedestrianPriorityZone_3.jpg

I think there are some "dismount and walk" signs around the University of Oregon campus. I'll look for them the next time I go there, but I think they are largely ignored, so really there is no winning.
Old 01-07-18, 02:51 AM
CliffordK

Oh, here's another from Portland.

Bigfoot.jpg

I'm not quite sure...

I think it may mean cyclists beware of Giants.. or since it is in the Western USA, perhaps cyclists beware of Bigfoot!
Old 01-07-18, 02:59 AM
CliffordK

Sometimes signs just state the obvious.

Turning_Vehicles_Yield.jpg

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-07-18 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 01:42 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Sometimes signs just state the obvious.

Attachment 594732
IMO, these should be standard signage!

I can't tell you how many times I've been walking across a street on the walk sign, only to get yelled at by a driver in a turning vehicle claiming right of way. My worst bicycle accident happened this way as well, and ended with a friendly police officer politely explaining to the driver that vehicles proceeding straight have right of way over those turning. </rant>
Old 01-07-18, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

That yield sign is at the edge of a park, and part of the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway, and thus there may be a higher than expected volume of bicycles, and pedestrians proceeding straight while all cars turn, so perhaps there were traffic conflicts there in the past.

An alternative option would be to trigger bike/pedestrian lights in an independent light cycle to vehicle movements. I had posted this a while ago that when the crosswalk was activated, the cars got a no right on red light.

https://www.bikeforums.net/18250205-post95.html

However, one still has to deal with bicycles on the road. I think there was a bike path there.
Old 04-08-18, 02:22 PM
CliffordK

Have we gotten these yet?

5MPH.jpg

Also the "walk" sign, and the "look" sign. All of this is crossing a bus express lane, with a forced right angle corner.

BikesShoulder.jpg

Hopefully the "take the lane" crowd won't complain about a wide shoulder along a 4-lane road (hill climb) with a 55 MPH speed limit.

BikesOnBridge.jpg

Button activated narrow bridge crossing. I've also seen one on a local tunnel, but I don't get past there by bike much... I'll get it sometime.
Old 04-08-18, 03:51 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Have we gotten these yet?

Attachment 606425

Also the "walk" sign, and the "look" sign. All of this is crossing a bus express lane, with a forced right angle corner.

Attachment 606426

Hopefully the "take the lane" crowd won't complain about a wide shoulder along a 4-lane road (hill climb) with a 55 MPH speed limit.

Attachment 606427

Button activated narrow bridge crossing. I've also seen one on a local tunnel, but I don't get past there by bike much... I'll get it sometime.
That bridge light is pretty neat and considerate.
Old 04-08-18, 04:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
That bridge light is pretty neat and considerate.
I ride on road shoulders.... and the road shoulder disappeared at the bridge.

I don't know if anybody pays attention to the flashing lights. I waited for a hole in traffic, then hit the button and went, so I didn't see if it was even flashing. Coming the other direction, there was a "T" at the end of the bridge, so the light may have been less visible.

The Tunnel bike lights I've seen to look very conspicuous. But, of course, I'm a cyclist.
Old 04-08-18, 06:35 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
We have a blanket pedestrian/cycleway over the whole town, cyclists also have every right to every road, so there are no instruction signs for cyclists. The only cycling signage i can think of is the generic pedestrians/cycles symbols on the network's direction signs.

Old 04-09-18, 05:27 AM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Toronto, around Christmas time, 2014

These would be so useful around here. There are towns and cities who have opened all their one way streets to bicycles in both directions, but it only says that on the exit end, not the entry end, so drivers frequently forget and blast into one way roads not expecting any opposing bicycle traffic.
Old 04-09-18, 06:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Saale
These would be so useful around here. There are towns and cities who have opened all their one way streets to bicycles in both directions, but it only says that on the exit end, not the entry end, so drivers frequently forget and blast into one way roads not expecting any opposing bicycle traffic.
@cooker of Toronto posted this reply
Originally Posted by cooker
Here's another look at Shaw St. in Toronto, not far from the spot shown by Jim from Boston. That's why the sign in his pic says "bicycles excepted" -there's a contraflow bike lane on an otherwise one-way street.

Since we're talking about signs, it's interesting that they a put a speed-bump warning sign up even for the cyclists heading north. Another sign of sorts, is the sharrow endorsing southbound cyclists taking the lane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shaw St.jpg (39.3 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-10-18, 08:53 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
We have a blanket pedestrian/cycleway over the whole town, cyclists also have every right to every road, so there are no instruction signs for cyclists. The only cycling signage i can think of is the generic pedestrians/cycles symbols on the network's direction signs.

Salem has quite a few path signs. They're handy when riding through from out of town. Although, most of theirs are signs on residential streets directing cyclists.

I haven't paid a lot of attention in Eugene, but I think they've put up maps, but not direction signs on the MUP paths. Perhaps I'll send a note asking why not.
Old 04-11-18, 01:50 AM
Saale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeing all those recent posts by CliffordK and rumrunn6, I'm surprised by the amount of written warnings and instructions, and more so the expectation for drivers to read and comprehend them while passing by at speed.

Around here the vast majority of signs use sign language because it's quicker to recognize as long as you know the accompanying rules. If there's a sign indicating a pedestrian zone, cyclists are expected to know the traffic law saying that they have to get off their bikes, and if there's a small bicycle sign underneath they're expected to know that cycling is permitted at a cautious pace while paying attention to pedestrians. And "ZONE" or "frei" (free as in permitted) is already a lot of words, most signs have none at all.
Attached Images
Old 04-11-18, 03:02 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Saale
Seeing all those recent posts by CliffordK and rumrunn6, I'm surprised by the amount of written warnings and instructions, and more so the expectation for drivers to read and comprehend them while passing by at speed.

Around here the vast majority of signs use sign language because it's quicker to recognize as long as you know the accompanying rules. If there's a sign indicating a pedestrian zone, cyclists are expected to know the traffic law saying that they have to get off their bikes, and if there's a small bicycle sign underneath they're expected to know that cycling is permitted at a cautious pace while paying attention to pedestrians. And "ZONE" or "frei" (free as in permitted) is already a lot of words, most signs have none at all.

Since about the 1960's, there has been a move towards using less text and more pictograms in the signs.

One of the differences between the USA and Europe is that the USA is strongly English speaking, although we do have a growing Spanish speaking population. Europe is much more multi-lingual, especially as the EU has been growing over the last few decades.

Most signs with 1 or 2 words can easily be read and comprehended. I think there have been some complaints about removing too much text from signs.

However, this topic is about cycling specific signs, and many are somewhat non-standard. Thus, I think adding text may make them easier to understand rather than using 100% pictographs which might leave readers guessing.

Or, ideally mix pictographs and text so one can interpret the signs with either.
Old 04-11-18, 03:44 AM
Saale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since about the 1960's, there has been a move towards using less text and more pictograms in the signs.

One of the differences between the USA and Europe is that the USA is strongly English speaking, although we do have a growing Spanish speaking population. Europe is much more multi-lingual, especially as the EU has been growing over the last few decades.

Most signs with 1 or 2 words can easily be read and comprehended. I think there have been some complaints about removing too much text from signs.

However, this topic is about cycling specific signs, and many are somewhat non-standard. Thus, I think adding text may make them easier to understand rather than using 100% pictographs which might leave readers guessing.

Or, ideally mix pictographs and text so one can interpret the signs with either.
Yeah, I guess so. I wasn't meaning to attack the US for their customary things, I just like to point out differences in hopes of gaining knowledge and understanding.
Old 08-23-18, 03:22 PM
CliffordK

20.jpg

Ok, so not exactly bike specific.

It kind of gets lost with the campaign signs, but the "20 is plenty" is a new campaign by the City of Portland.

The basic speed limit for unmarked residential streets was reduced to 20 MPH.

The city gave out a bunch of these signs for people to put up in the neighborhoods.

Oddly, it doesn't say "MPH" anywhere on the signs... 20 what? apples?
Old 08-26-18, 12:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't think we'll forget what traffic signs mean as long as those Captchas ask us to find either those or vehicles most of the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.