Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-16, 09:14 PM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Being that I have just started my 3rd summer IN A ROW rehabbing from ORIF surgery I would like to continue the discussion that was previously derailed (or TROLLED) by some negative individual in this https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18902946 thread.

This is 2nd attempt to gather like minded individuals and to provide POSITIVE information regarding the use of Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frames to build quality AFFORDABLE bikes.

I would like to thanks all of our members that have taken to time to share their knowledge and experience for no other reason than to simply provide an alternative to the high end carbon frame and bike manufacturers that I for one will covet but will NEVER be able to afford.

So that being said...on with the discussion!
Old 07-12-16, 09:28 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
First off, you will only be looking at Chinese made frames. To the best of my knowledge there are no Taiwanese carbon vendors doing consumer direct sales.

There are plenty of Chinese Trading Companies to choose from.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-16, 09:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with this thread. I can't ride while my shoulder heals, and I can build a bike while I am waiting for the various shippers to do their jobs.

I can't even look forward to freaking out the TSA officers when I go through the airport metal detector.

Did you ever check out the encyclopedic thread on Weightweenies.com? (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...3717&start=675)

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-12-16 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 09:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
First off, you will only be looking at Chinese made frames. To the best of my knowledge there are no Taiwanese carbon vendors doing consumer direct sales.
I hear Nashbar's CF frames are actually made in Taiwan .... not absoutely sure. Not sure it matters, anyway.
Old 07-12-16, 09:36 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hear Nashbar's CF frames are actually made in Taiwan .... not absoutely sure. Not sure it matters, anyway.
As of 2 model years ago, no. But that was 2 years ago, so who knows now.

I was more thinking of the various eBay, Alibaba and consumer direct salers that can be found on the interwebs. Those are Mainlanders.

Old 07-12-16, 09:47 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikeisland has Kinesis frames which are Taiwanese, but the models are kind of old and outdated
Old 07-12-16, 10:01 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As of 2 model years ago, no. But that was 2 years ago, so who knows now.

I was more thinking of the various eBay, Alibaba and consumer direct salers that can be found on the interwebs. Those are Mainlanders.
Well hey Bob! thanks for chiming in.

Actually I'm referring to primarily Chinese carbon frames by companies like Workswell, Dengfu and Hongfu. I have seen on Alibaba a Taiwanese company called Shenzhen Huyi Technology Co., Ltd. but on the recommendation of rpenmanparker who has been a great deal of help for me personally, I will be dealing directly with Workswell for MY build. That being said I believe getting as much info as I can on all option available and then rule out the ones on the recommendation of the the folks with first hand knowledge and experience.
Old 07-12-16, 10:10 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by clubber
Well hey Bob! thanks for chiming in.

Actually I'm referring to primarily Chinese carbon frames by companies like Workswell, Dengfu and Hongfu. I have seen on Alibaba a Taiwanese company called Shenzhen Huyi Technology Co., Ltd. but on the recommendation of rpenmanparker who has been a great deal of help for me personally, I will be dealing directly with Workswell for MY build. That being said I believe getting as much info as I can on all option available and then rule out the ones on the recommendation of the the folks with first hand knowledge and experience.
Shenzhen is in China.

Not that it matters. Just an FYI.

Old 07-12-16, 10:11 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sorry, I can't help with this thread. I can't ride while my shoulder heals, and I can build a bike while I am waiting for the various shippers to do their jobs.

I can't even look forward to freaking out the TSA officers when I go through the airport metal detector.

Did you ever check out the encyclopedic thread on Weightweenies.com? (Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread - Page 46 - Weight Weenies)
Ah...Mr trouble-maker! Shoulder...r u kidding? Rub some dirt on it. OMG, my 13yr old niece in tougher than that. I may book a round trip flight up to NYC just to mess with the TSA officers (being that I have 3 plates in my leg.) That's not to mention a total of 23 screws.

Oh and can you provide a link to the Readers Digest condensed version of the Weightwennies thread?
Old 07-12-16, 10:15 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ah...Mr trouble-maker! Shoulder...r u kidding? Rub some dirt on it. OMG, my 13yr old niece in tougher than that. I may book a round trip flight up to NYC just to mess with the TSA officers (being that I have 3 plates in my leg.) That's not to mention a total of 23 screws.

Oh and can you provide a link to the Readers Digest condensed version of the Weightwennies thread?
[URL="https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&sid=ca13a8b6bc182110b06f8dca7e34971f"]
Old 07-12-16, 10:22 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Shenzhen is in China.

Not that it matters. Just an FYI.
Well...don't I feel like a geographical IDIOT! This https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tai...ke-frames.html is the Alibaba link I was referring to. Not sure why they refer to the frames as Taiwan frames though.

TTYTT...I vaguely remember someone saying or something I read regarding CF frames being produced in Taiwan. Not sure it was regarding the molds or what. But I don't want to get off track so let just say Chinese frames.
Old 07-12-16, 10:39 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
[URL="https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&sid=ca13a8b6bc182110b06f8dca7e34971f"]
Thanks buddy...now where can I find the crib notes for that tread?
Old 07-12-16, 10:51 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's that you buy from reputable middlemen that won't send you duds, even if you have to pay extra.
Old 07-12-16, 10:53 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built up a Workswell 29r mountain bike last year. It's been over a year and so far it's been real good. No drama with assembly either. I ordered it with a BSA bottom bracket and 142 rear end. Coming from an aluminum Stumpjumper 29, the WW frame rode just as good and came in at 2lbs lighter.

Not a road bike, but so far a positive experience with an open mold company.
Old 07-12-16, 11:42 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ORIF - open reduction with internal fixation
it means the fractures were pretty serious and they couldn't reduce the gap to less than 2mm without opening the wound.

CRIF - is when the reduction is done from outside (no scalpal or scope) and then internal fixation

The fx NOF is often done CRIF where the cannulated screws are driven from outside. Floyd Landis had this surgery in 2003 when he crashed while training in San Diego. This was kept secret until after he won the TDF in 2006.
Old 07-13-16, 12:31 AM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
ORIF - open reduction with internal fixation
it means the fractures were pretty serious and they couldn't reduce the gap to less than 2mm without opening the wound.

CRIF - is when the reduction is done from outside (no scalpal or scope) and then internal fixation

The fx NOF is often done CRIF where the cannulated screws are driven from outside. Floyd Landis had this surgery in 2003 when he crashed while training in San Diego. This was kept secret until after he won the TDF in 2006.
Thanks Doc. Being that 2 weeks ago yesterday I had my 3rd ORIF procedure (this time for the non-displaced compression fracture of my left lateral tibial plateau) in 2 years I am becoming quite knowledgeable. The internal fixation refers to the plates (which actually resemble metal bands) and screws that run all the way through the bone.

In he case of my ankle, one plate down the inside of my lower leg and the other plate down the front edge of my shin were screwed together AND thru the tibia to compress the multiple fractures above my foot back together.

Ok boys and girls...this concludes today's lesson on ORIF surgery. Class dismissed

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic already in progress
Old 07-13-16, 09:18 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Here is a progress shot of my Workswell R-066. Just waiting for the BB to arrive and it'll be done the same day. Hopefully it will come today. So far I have been very impressed with the quality of the frame. It was packaged well and there was no damage at all. No imperfections that I can see on the frame and when looking inside the various tubes, the carbon looks to be on par with my Focus Cayo.

The only minor gripe was that they seemed to have but a "bulkhead" at the back of the BB shell and made running the rear mech cable challenging. I had to drill a small hole in order to eliminate the unnecessary bends that would have been there. In speaking with a couple other 066 owners, neither had this bulkhead. My frame also had come with additional Di2 frame plugs in the event that I ever go Di2. Not sure it what is the reasoning behind the mysterious bulkhead.

Other than that it's been great. Running the cables has been mush easier than my Focus was. Can't wait to ride it.

Old 07-13-16, 09:31 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The WW -066 always comes with the full set of plugs to allow mechanical or electronic shifter assembly.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-13-16, 02:30 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay I have the bottom bracket. I'm in a quandary about whether to use PTFE like it says in the instruction manual or use Loctite and void the warranty.
Old 07-13-16, 02:47 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can install it, hope it works, and if it never creaks, only remove it when the bearings get gritty. If it creaks, then you can pop it out and install it again with the loctite.
Old 07-13-16, 04:17 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
Here is a progress shot of my Workswell R-066. Just waiting for the BB to arrive and it'll be done the same day. Hopefully it will come today. So far I have been very impressed with the quality of the frame. It was packaged well and there was no damage at all. No imperfections that I can see on the frame and when looking inside the various tubes, the carbon looks to be on par with my Focus Cayo.

The only minor gripe was that they seemed to have but a "bulkhead" at the back of the BB shell and made running the rear mech cable challenging. I had to drill a small hole in order to eliminate the unnecessary bends that would have been there. In speaking with a couple other 066 owners, neither had this bulkhead. My frame also had come with additional Di2 frame plugs in the event that I ever go Di2. Not sure it what is the reasoning behind the mysterious bulkhead.

Other than that it's been great. Running the cables has been mush easier than my Focus was. Can't wait to ride it.

Lookin pretty sweet BP. I'm especially fond of the orange creamsicle colored bar tape. Oh...is that a 70's era GMC or Chevy pick-em up?

I'm curious about what wheels those are on what I have dubbed "Darth Poser with an orange twist!". The reason being I have NO clue which wheels I will use on my 066 when I start my build. I was really impressed with the Conti Gp 4000s II's in the short time (just over 100 miles) before I broke my leg...AGAIN.

Sry, I'll try not to get off topic too much. My excuse is I am under the influence of prescription medication. That and I a little drifty by nature.
Old 07-13-16, 04:30 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Lookin pretty sweet BP. I'm especially fond of the orange creamsicle colored bar tape. Oh...is that a 70's era GMC or Chevy pick-em up?

I'm curious about what wheels those are on what I have dubbed "Darth Poser with an orange twist!". The reason being I have NO clue which wheels I will use on my 066 when I start my build. I was really impressed with the Conti Gp 4000s II's in the short time (just over 100 miles) before I broke my leg...AGAIN.

Sry, I'll try not to get off topic too much. My excuse is I am under the influence of prescription medication. That and I a little drifty by nature.

Thanks. I really like the orange as well. Thought about going "murdered out", but need to have some color. Gotta be different.

Yup that is my 73 Chevy. It's for sale by the way.....just saying.

Those particular wheels are H Plus Son Archetype rims on BHS hubs with Sapim laser spokes, laced 2x 24f/28r. They are great wheels! The hubs are amazing for the price. I'm constantly passing guys heavier than me when coasting downhill. I built them myself for about $400 from BHS.

I actually have some carbon wheels coming in the next week or two that will have a dash of orange on them and will really tie into the orange tape.

Darth Poser. I'm going to use that.
Old 07-13-16, 07:53 PM
aubiecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My installation of the gear shift cable through the chainstay.

I inserted some cable housing down the chainstay from the rear.

Then fed the cable back through the housing until it slides out the end. Pull the housing out of the chainstay.

Old 07-14-16, 12:37 AM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
My installation of the gear shift cable through the chainstay.

I inserted some cable housing down the chainstay from the rear.

Then fed the cable back through the housing until it slides out the end. Pull the housing out of the chainstay.

Well hell AC...now you got me combing the Earth (btw...should earth be capitalized like God?) for cable housing.

What was your decision to go with Jagwire lex-sl housing based on and how does it differ from say the road pro kit? Are they both PTFE? Maybe I should consider something a little more flashy like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7s...Y#t=254.175461 You know...like alligator boots! Maybe knot

Just curious since I haven't done much research on components yet other than the fact that I'm DEFINITELY going with a mostly Ultegra groupset.

And also should I go ahead and start ordering my parts NOW knowing full well I won't be able to ride for at least another 2 months? The Pen Man thinks I should start my build now but I'm afraid it will drive me NUTZ if I get it put together and then not be able to ride. I still have to get fitted before I order my 066 frame.

One thing is my left leg is an inch shorter than my right from my ankle fusion surgery. I believe I can compensate with platform pedals. I particularly like the Speedplay Zero's but the ARE pricey

Hell...I've done it again getting off topic and spinning outta control. Apologies Its late (or early and I'm rambling a bit)

Last edited by clubber; 07-14-16 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 07:46 AM
aubiecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the Jagwire Road Pro kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.