Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 08-14-19, 11:36 AM
  #2076  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Speaking of showers, it rained during most of today’s club ride. Luckily temps were moderate and the fun level still high.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 11:37 AM
  #2077  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I watched this documentary last night about the Woodstock concert and noticed something stunning. Of all the footage they put together to make that film, showing all those concert fans, not a single obese person was seen in any of that footage. None. Don’t take my word for it, watch the doc on PBS. It’s truly amazing and truly sad how America’s health has deteriorated over the course of 50 years. Over 400,000 people attended that concert, and you will be hard pressed to find a fat person. It’s incredible.
Correct.

And the “epidemic” of diabetes and other maladies is a consequence. Sad!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 11:56 AM
  #2078  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,695

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6292 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
#noonesgettingfatexceptmamacass
I thought about her, too, but she wasn’t on the list of entertainers.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:09 PM
  #2079  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,521

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I watched this documentary last night about the Woodstock concert and noticed something stunning. Of all the footage they put together to make that film, showing all those concert fans, not a single obese person was seen in any of that footage. None. Don’t take my word for it, watch the doc on PBS. It’s truly amazing and truly sad how America’s health has deteriorated over the course of 50 years. Over 400,000 people attended that concert, and you will be hard pressed to find a fat person. It’s incredible.
I hear drugs will do that.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:10 PM
  #2080  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,521

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
There is a French Shower forum??
Rhymes with fun.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:12 PM
  #2081  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Rhymes with fun.
As a student of the censor, I do believe you can say that now. Let’s try. Son of a gun!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:17 PM
  #2082  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
BTW I do agree with @BillyD, but I must also point out bias in this population. The infrastructure at Woodstock was rudimentary and services overwhelmed by the massive turnout. That means the people who made it to the show had to be hardy enough to walk many miles and thus if someone were heavy and of poor fitness, intolerant of the heat and wet, etc., they would have not gone or turned back.

Observational studies are full of biases so one must be very careful drawing conclusions.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:25 PM
  #2083  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Speaking of guns, I do have one. I got it from a mail-in offer from Quisp cereal circa 1970. Apparently this “Cosmic Clouder” gun is highly collectible and rare.

See pic below, Jackie volunteered to help.

Anyone else remember Quisp??

__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:45 PM
  #2084  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,313

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4628 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
BTW I do agree with @BillyD, but I must also point out bias in this population. The infrastructure at Woodstock was rudimentary and services overwhelmed by the massive turnout. That means the people who made it to the show had to be hardy enough to walk many miles and thus if someone were heavy and of poor fitness, intolerant of the heat and wet, etc., they would have not gone or turned back.

Observational studies are full of biases so one must be very careful drawing conclusions.
I agree. One sampling of dope fiends does not a population make.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 12:47 PM
  #2085  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,521

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
As a student of the censor, I do believe you can say that now. Let’s try. Son of a gun!
I hope so. I really didn’t want to start anything.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:17 PM
  #2086  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I hope so. I really didn’t want to start anything.
Wise. Kudos.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:20 PM
  #2087  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,617

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9449 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
#buyersremorse
Unfortunately, they were done unloading by the time I left and nowhere to be seen upon my return.

#betterlucknexttime
WhyFi is online now  
Old 08-14-19, 01:22 PM
  #2088  
SwtBadger
Senior Member
 
SwtBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 196

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Speaking of guns, I do have one. I got it from a mail-in offer from Quisp cereal circa 1970. Apparently this “Cosmic Clouder” gun is highly collectible and rare.

See pic below, Jackie volunteered to help.

Anyone else remember Quisp??
Sure thing, one of the few processed foods allowed growing up was sugary b-fast cereal. Wouldn't have been allowed to have the toy blaster gun, but the cereal was fine - if my brother didn't beat me too it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I saw some a few years ago. Internets says I may be right, occasionally they release some for distribution and it can be order direct.
SwtBadger is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:24 PM
  #2089  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Unfortunately, they were done unloading by the time I left and nowhere to be seen upon my return.

#betterlucknexttime
It's probably just as well. You don't want to drag property values down too low, unless of course if the tax assessor is visiting.

Speaking of property values, remember I mentioned that Toll Brothers is destroying a lovely meadow at the end of our street and planning to put up 34 McMansions?

They are still just grading the ground, installing drainage etc., but they have already sold 15 of the houses! Sad.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:25 PM
  #2090  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,617

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9449 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 220 Posts
On my ride:
  • I saw one of the worst bib designs ever - I think that they were Castelli, but the important bit is that there were three seams that met on the backside - one on either side, angling slightly down from hip, joining together and continuing down the asscrack. Very evocative of a thong and just wrong, wr-wr-wr-wrong.
  • A FOLDING FAT E-BIKE!!!
  • I somehow nabbed a KOM on a half-mile stretch - wooo! I'm big time.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 08-14-19, 01:26 PM
  #2091  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,132

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post

Anyone else remember Quisp??
Of course; the counterpart to Quake!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:27 PM
  #2092  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,132

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I hope so. I really didn’t want to start anything.
Not on a rhymes-with-fun forum.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:32 PM
  #2093  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,132

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger View Post
Wouldn't have been allowed to have the toy blaster gun
Neither would I have been. I had to go to friends' houses to get my gun play needs met.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 01:34 PM
  #2094  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,617

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9449 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Speaking of property values, remember I mentioned that Toll Brothers is destroying a lovely meadow at the end of our street and planning to put up 34 McMansions?

They are still just grading the ground, installing drainage etc., but they have already sold 15 of the houses! Sad.
#there'snoaccountingfortaste?

Just curious, but what kind of square footage are we talking? Is there a standard McMansion template in your area? In mine, it's what I would call "variations on a cube." I would assume that they're maximizing square footage on small-ish city lots, but damn are they boring.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 08-14-19, 01:38 PM
  #2095  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,513
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9242 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Anyone else remember Quisp??
Damn skippy! For those who don't:



Quake was eventually voted off the island as a result of a national popularity contest. Look at who did their voices:

Quisp vs. Quake: The ?breakfast feud? between cereals from outer and inner space ? Night Flight
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:11 PM
  #2096  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Damn skippy! For those who don't:



Quake was eventually voted off the island as a result of a national popularity contest. Look at who did their voices:

Quisp vs. Quake: The ?breakfast feud? between cereals from outer and inner space ? Night Flight
I was 7 when they had the vote to get rid of one. I found the whole process very stressful.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:18 PM
  #2097  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,180

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 144 Posts
Those were a couple years before my time.

We didn't get sugary cereals in my house, so it was always a treat when we'd go on camping trips and my parents would get the variety pack of individual cereals, and sometimes I could beat my older sisters before they claimed the Frosted Flakes.

Instead we usually got something boring like plain cheerios or raisin bran. Which I would bury underneath a mountain of table sugar because that was somehow OK. But at least it wasn't sugary cereal!
ksryder is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:20 PM
  #2098  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
#there'snoaccountingfortaste?

Just curious, but what kind of square footage are we talking? Is there a standard McMansion template in your area? In mine, it's what I would call "variations on a cube." I would assume that they're maximizing square footage on small-ish city lots, but damn are they boring.
In this case, I believe they are 3200-4000 square feet.

Our house has 2200 square feet (not counting basement which is half finished and might add another 600 if you count the finished part), which is more than enough space for a family of 4 IMO.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:22 PM
  #2099  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,057

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9142 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
As an adult, I think those sugary cereals are awful, but I did love them as a kid. Quisp was my favorite but Cap’n Crunch would do in a pinch.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:27 PM
  #2100  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,180

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
As an adult, I think those sugary cereals are awful, but I did love them as a kid. Quisp was my favorite but Cap’n Crunch would do in a pinch.
Adult me eats oatmeal every morning and somewhere 7-year-old me is screaming in frustration.

Never much liked Capn Crunch though, always found it to be not dissimilar from eating glass shards. Had the same effect on the roof of my mouth.

There was a new hip restaurant in town for a while that had all kinds of wacky toppings on burgers. One of which was something along the lines of a peanut butter and Capn Crunch burger. I never tried it.

The food was salty and over priced, service was slow, and the place went out of business within months.
ksryder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.