Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surly Midnight Special

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Surly Midnight Special

Old 09-06-19, 06:38 AM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Surly Midnight Special

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

What do you guys think?

Does anyone own one?

Haven't had the chance to test ride one, and doesn't seem I will be able to before buying. So will be buying a bit blind.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-19, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ive ridden with a guy that has one. Its a nice bike overall. Comfortable geometry for him, quality components(he built it from a frame), and best of all it fits great as the smaller wheels look the part since his frame is on the smaller end.
Black Mountain Cycles has a road+ frameset too, in case you are just interested in that style of bike in general and not specifically attached to the Surly.

I dont understand the desire/appeal of 1x for a road bike, not even a mixed surface road bike, but that just me I guess.
And I cant imagine wanting more 'plushness' than what my 42mm gravel tires provide on paved roads, but if you need more- a road+ will provide just that.
Old 09-07-19, 04:09 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You can put 700c on there.

By default it comes with 47mm tires on 650b. I think the benefit to this is that combination still has a smaller diameter than 700c with 35mm tires.

I think 32mm would be my limit on 700c since its a pain to get them rolling. So having a smaller diameter while having a bigger tire is the appeal.

Still considering just getting the frame and building myself.
Likes For diff:
Old 09-15-19, 02:42 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Does anyone know when surly comes out with their next years model?

Decided to build this as the complete is pretty lame. Not a fan of blue as my main bike is baby blue (just a different shade). And since the city released a bike rental program across the city and they picked baby blue for the color and it exactly matches my cutter v5.

Maybe I should email them. But thinking white with a blue headset (kris king) and blue hubs. White and red accents is a nice scheme too.

Any input? Nobody wants to talk about this bike haha. Forget the complete build. The frame.