Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Pedals on a TA Crankset?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 07:38 AM
AlanPetersen
Love bikes

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to upgrade the pedals on my bike and can't recall the thread situation, from many years of distance from the subject.
Can I put Campy pedals on my TA crank?
Thanks for the help.
Alan
Old 09-03-08, 07:57 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 69 Posts
Only if the TA accepts english threads, and not french
Old 09-03-08, 08:04 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
The threads could be either British or French. If they're French, a set of 9/16" pedal taps can solve the problem. I don't know what a shop would charge to do the work, but I paid $30 for the taps.
Old 09-03-08, 08:18 AM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ran Campy NR pedals on TA Cyclotouriste cranks for many years until I switched to SPDs. YMMV.
Old 09-03-08, 08:43 AM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanPetersen
I'd like to upgrade the pedals on my bike and can't recall the thread situation, from many years of distance from the subject.
Can I put Campy pedals on my TA crank?
Thanks for the help.
Alan
Campy pedals are not necessarily English/Italian threaded. French was also available. Make sure threads on pedals and crank match. If your TA crank has the blind pedal holes, lube the pedal threads minimally. Campy threads are a tighter fit and they can seal the threads well enough to blow out the 'blind hole' portion of the crankarm with air/grease pressure.
Old 09-03-08, 06:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
set the Wayback Machine to 1973 Mr. Peabody, I had TA Pro 3 pin cranks and switched from Atom pedals to Campagnolo, Mine were "French" thread (actually metric, the rest of the world was using 9/16 x 20).

The blind hole cap that came pressed into the cranks was going to have to be knocked out no matter, the campagnolo pedal axles were too long.

Now, Campagnolo did make for a short time pedals with a shorter threaded section, but you will need deep pockets to prevail in an auction for them, and they did make French threaded pedals... but I have only once seen them come up on ebay, so if your cranks are metric, you will need to tap them out, if you buy the taps of course you will need two, LH & RH threading.

The moral of the story, unless you are planning to enter a concours judged by Jan Heine, tap them out and be happy.
Old 09-04-08, 06:14 AM
AlanPetersen
Love bikes

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank-you everyone!