Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Roads would be safer if the country kept increasing work from home jobs

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-03-20, 05:59 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

During the Covid shutdown, the amount of people driving to and from work was dramatically reduced. This made cycling a lot safer. Now that states are opening back up...a lot of jobs are pulling people back into the office (STUPID). The roads would be safer if we as a society just get rid of the outdated view that work has to get done in the office. It doesn't as proven by 40% of all workers working from home recently. Just a few weeks ago I was able to ride my bike on roads I could never have dreamed of riding on...and now they're all cluttered up with cars again and are 100% unsafe for cycling.
Old 06-03-20, 07:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Actually, in some areas it's riskier riding a bicycle now and that's becuase with the much lower volume of traffic, motorists are driving faster and doing so whilst distracted.

Roads would be a lot safer if everyone using them obeyed the Rules of the Road, and if people would concentrate on their driving more than on their myriad gadgets.

Cheers
Old 06-04-20, 07:22 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I've had more close calls and seen more stupid stuff in the last 2 months than in the year before that.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-04-20, 11:39 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yeah, ironic, while heavy motor traffic does tend to increase the anxiety of the drivers, it does physically often limit their speed... and with other folks stopping at lights and signs, even scofflaws are often held in check.

One thing I have noticed is a bit more eye contact from some... not the folks hot-rodding around of course, they believe they own the roads no matter what... but the other drivers... they seem to be looking at me more to see what my intentions are... and this may come from just more pedestrians and cyclists being on the roads.

Hard to say.
Old 06-04-20, 12:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, ironic, while heavy motor traffic does tend to increase the anxiety of the drivers, it does physically often limit their speed... and with other folks stopping at lights and signs, even scofflaws are often held in check.

One thing I have noticed is a bit more eye contact from some... not the folks hot-rodding around of course, they believe they own the roads no matter what... but the other drivers... they seem to be looking at me more to see what my intentions are... and this may come from just more pedestrians and cyclists being on the roads.

Hard to say.
It's really good if a driver is making actual eye contact with you or any other bicyclist. However, studies* have shown that whilst it may appear that a driver is looking directly at you, the fact is they are looking at something beyond you and your presence is not registering with them.

Cheers

* I don't know where that study was published but I read about it back in the mid-1980s
Old 06-04-20, 01:04 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's really good if a driver is making actual eye contact with you or any other bicyclist. However, studies* have shown that whilst it may appear that a driver is looking directly at you, the fact is they are looking at something beyond you and your presence is not registering with them.

Cheers

* I don't know where that study was published but I read about it back in the mid-1980s
Oh I agree... but I am actually talking about communication beyond a mere glance... hand waves, nods, and simple gestures to an otherwise empty street that indicate real connections between people.

Frankly, in the heyday of my work commuting cycling, I was lucky to even get a glance, and more often than not it was a driver looking through me, not at me. This is decidedly different. I don't expect it to continue when heavier traffic returns and motorists are just playing "follow the leader."
Old 06-04-20, 02:15 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

Cheers

Any studies where flappy bird signals from someone on a bike to someone in a car is understood by anyone other than the signaller? (I clearly told them to yield! WTF!?)

-mr. bill
Old 06-04-20, 05:01 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by genec
Oh I agree... but I am actually talking about communication beyond a mere glance... hand waves, nods, and simple gestures to an otherwise empty street that indicate real connections between people.

Frankly, in the heyday of my work commuting cycling, I was lucky to even get a glance, and more often than not it was a driver looking through me, not at me. This is decidedly different. I don't expect it to continue when heavier traffic returns and motorists are just playing "follow the leader."
Sounds a lot like my commute in Toronto Canada.

On a lot of busy city roads, drivers have so much to watch out for such as pedestrians stepping off sidewalks whilst looking at their cell phones, or wrong direction riding bicyclists or bicyclists blowing stop signs or red lights. Other than the cell phone users, I saw all that during my commute along Bloor Street. And many times people would step off a sidewalk without looking.

I try to be aware of my surroundings and what people and drivers are doing. I ride in the lane near parked vehicles, so I have a better sight line in case someone does step out from between parked/stopped vehicles. On side streets I do the same in case a child darts out onto the road in front of me.

Cheers
Old 06-04-20, 10:20 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
My rule is never to wave at anyone, bike or car and never trust what’s being waved at you. Three recent examples from my neighborhood.

1) there is a busy crossing of a main road and a bike path. I was going east and stopped. Another cyclist was going west and started waving the oncoming car to go ahead and cross. When I yelled at him, his response was “I was waiting so he could go”. My response was something like “FU, I was not waiting and you’re waving the car into me?“ Stupid.

2) I came up to where a path crosses a busy road. Normally I would just wait. But this time it was A Sheriff waving me go ahead. So I did (against my normal rule) and turned left onto the road in front of the Sheriff figuring he was being so polite he could follow behind me to the upcoming intersection. But no, that pig had to use the half block to pass me on the blind curve. I yelled at him that the pass was dangerous. At the intersection we both stopped. He rolled down his window and was saying that it was safe. Safe in a 3 ton cop car I guess. I yelled more and went my way with my finger in the air. He turned off in another direction.

3). Another time, I came up to a three way stop. A car arrived about the same time I did. So I stopped. Put my foot down and stopped. He looked at me, I looked at him. After what seemed like a pretty long time, no waving or signaling I turned left in front of him and went. Thankfully he turned and didn’t follow me or it would have been like the Sheriff all over again

what can I do?
Old 06-04-20, 11:28 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleNutz
During the Covid shutdown, the amount of people driving to and from work was dramatically reduced. This made cycling a lot safer. Now that states are opening back up...a lot of jobs are pulling people back into the office (STUPID). The roads would be safer if we as a society just get rid of the outdated view that work has to get done in the office. It doesn't as proven by 40% of all workers working from home recently. Just a few weeks ago I was able to ride my bike on roads I could never have dreamed of riding on...and now they're all cluttered up with cars again and are 100% unsafe for cycling.
Seriously? It's STUPID for employers, now that a temporary situation is terminated to want to RETURN to 'normal'? Why? Because during the TEMPORARY situation your cycling activities were more pleasant? Do you hear how entitled you sound? Awwww, let's everybody say awwww at the total bummer ... just because 40% of workers had to work from home recently doesn't mean it meant the work got done. Many workers had to install cameras in their home offices and keystroke loggers and other monitoring software on their home computers that made them WANT to return to the freedom of the office. It should not require masses of workers shut-in their homes for cyclists to feel safe.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-05-20, 06:06 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'd think that competent employers would have thoroughly analysed the effect of WAH on their business operations. And, through such analyses, would modify their business practices if appropriate. My guess is that many will adopt a more extensive work-from-home strategy; however many jobs that maybe can be done remotely in a pinch will never be adequately effective that way. On the other hand, many employers may see a real bottom line advantage in reducing their physical infrastructure.

In any case, motor vehicle traffic will always be a challenge. Humans are prone to a concept called risk compensation. Most of us tolerate a certain level of risk and when circumstances reduce the probability of a negative outcome, folks will change their behavour by driving more aggressively.
Old 06-05-20, 09:51 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously? It's STUPID for employers, now that a temporary situation is terminated to want to RETURN to 'normal'? Why? Because during the TEMPORARY situation your cycling activities were more pleasant? Do you hear how entitled you sound? Awwww, let's everybody say awwww at the total bummer ... just because 40% of workers had to work from home recently doesn't mean it meant the work got done. Many workers had to install cameras in their home offices and keystroke loggers and other monitoring software on their home computers that made them WANT to return to the freedom of the office. It should not require masses of workers shut-in their homes for cyclists to feel safe.
"What does the FOX say?"

Chillin' meditation recommended....

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 06-05-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 12:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Bs!
Old 06-05-20, 11:58 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Caffeine free coffee isn't so bad ya know.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-06-20, 06:03 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
As an hourly factory production worker, I don't understand how a person could be "working from home" and be working. Ya'll must be smarter than me.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-06-20, 06:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've been enjoying the lower levels of motor traffic on my work commute. And yes, some of the remaining drivers have been speeding up. Is it safer with less traffic anyway? My guess is yes, and it's certainly more pleasant. I don't consider it unsafe either way.
Old 06-06-20, 10:53 AM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
As an hourly factory production worker, I don't understand how a person could be "working from home" and be working.
Duh.

That is obvious.

what isn’t obvious is why people like me (accountant) haven’t been able to work from home years ago. At home I have this thing called a personal home computer, this other thing called Excel, this thing called a headset, this thing that is called a modem that lets me connect...
Likes For CycleNutz:
Old 06-06-20, 02:59 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Caffeine free coffee isn't so bad ya know.
Why bother drinking coffee at all? That's like driving a Ferrari with a Yugo engine. All fluff, no stuff.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 06-06-20, 03:08 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
As an hourly factory production worker, I don't understand how a person could be "working from home" and be working. Ya'll must be smarter than me.
My wife works for an insurance company and has been working from home for a few years now due to medical reasons. Her production is tracked through the company's laptop and installed monitoring software (i.e. keystrokes, amount of policies being processed, worked on, inactivity while on the clock, etc.....). It helps ease the stress for her not having to drive into work, park, deal with traffic, annoying co-workers, office gossips and politics, etc....and with me bike commuting to work more, this has saved us money on gas and wear and tears on our vehicles.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 06-06-20, 08:38 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Why bother drinking coffee at all? That's like driving a Ferrari with a Yugo engine. All fluff, no stuff.
The same could be said for drinking non-alcoholic beer or wine. People like it for the flavour but don't want the buzz of an alcoholic drink or they need to avoid alcohol fgor medical or religious reasons.

Cheers
Old 06-11-20, 07:31 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
During the time of shelter in place, I noticed how much quiet the roads were, but also observing, as well as hearing anecdotal comments on how much faster motorists were driving on our local roadways. According to our state's highway patrol, road collision numbers were down 70 plus percent, but their issuing of 100 plus mph speeding tickets jumped 40 plus percent during the same time period.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 06-11-20, 08:43 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleNutz
All of the frontline restaurant and retail workers should start working from home?
Good to know that you think through your random ideas before you spew them onto the inter webs
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-15-20, 11:32 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been working from home since March 10. I work in hardware R&D, with about half of my time spent in the lab. I was extremely lucky to be able to throw a bunch of equipment in my car and set it up in the basement rec room. My entire family is working from home, either as students or doing their day jobs. Our house is not huge, but large enough to accommodate. I have reliable high speed Internet service.

Not all are so lucky. A lot of folks are going to lose their shirts. Our leaders may see the world as a bunch of people working in offices, but that's not the world we live in, even in the US.

An amusing observation: Since we've been having most of our meetings and discussions remotely, the amount of office intrigue and politics has dropped considerably. In the tech industry, there's naturally been a lot of discussion about remote work, for a couple of reasons. First, that industry (e.g., computer programming) is almost optimally set up for remote work to begin with, and a lot of people were already working remotely. Second, packing more and more programmers into San Francisco and a couple of other big cities wasn't ever sustainable, and was already getting ready to crack open.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some managers frown on remote work, because they are justifiably nervous about their own reasons for existence as managers. What if remote teams were better at managing themselves owing to a more relaxed atmosphere and flexible hours?

The way I figure it, even a 10% reduction in car traffic would be beneficial, but I don't realistically expect cars to vanish. When the lockdown is eased at my workplace, I'll go back, but my group has already agreed that we could have more frequent work-from-home days along with flexible hours that let us avoid the worst of commuter traffic.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-23-20, 05:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Actually, in some areas it's riskier riding a bicycle now and that's becuase with the much lower volume of traffic, motorists are driving faster and doing so whilst distracted.

Roads would be a lot safer if everyone using them obeyed the Rules of the Road, and if people would concentrate on their driving more than on their myriad gadgets.

Cheers
It's now gotten even worse in my area because more people are back on the roads and AND many are still driving recklessly like they were when there were fewer people on the roads. While I don't know the details yet, the 17 Y.O. son of a couple I know was struck and killed by a car over the weekend. He had just graduated high school and was an experienced cyclist who was on his school's MTB team.