Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Can you help me find a BMX bike that fits me?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 01-15-21, 12:37 PM
JaysVlogs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

• I'm a 6'4 Teen.
  • I wanna be able to get into BMX but I don't know what type to get that will fit me..
  • I Just want something that I can ride On , and be cool with.
  • preferably something that isn't Uncomfortable.
Old 01-17-21, 12:37 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
You need an XL or Pro XL cruiser to race. Youd feel like a monkey trying to hug a football on a 20” bike

by getting into BMX, are you talking about racing? Skatepark/dirt jump stuff or just riding street?

i just picked up a 29” SE Big Flyer a couple of weeks ago to ride at our local pump track and general screwing around on. It iss a great bike for that purpose and would fit you well at a low price

SE has a lot of cruiser options
Old 01-17-21, 10:27 PM
JaysVlogs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just like for anything really just something that I can ride and do tricks on .
Old 01-18-21, 06:07 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I'm 6'0 and its uncomfortable at times but worth it. They make 22" bikesnow. If not find a 20" 21.25+ top tube. Bars are now up to like 11" so go 10" or 11". I also use a Cult layback pivotal. Does not give much more room but every inch helps and its like 300mm so you can raise if just cruising.
Old 01-19-21, 08:10 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
This forum doesn't get a ton of traffic for modern BMX stuff. Give Empire BMX a call. They are very responsive. They might not have anything.in stock for you but they will know what you need.
I've known some people your height that rode 20" wheeled BMX bikes, but 22 or 24" wheels might end up being more proportional.
Old 01-20-21, 10:22 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I am 5'9" and ride this 29r like a BMX.
It is an old Hybrid I stripped and built up as a coaster brake only. Most of the time the seat is much lower forcing me to stand a lot which gives me a great workout.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 01-22-21, 11:02 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am 5'9" and ride this 29r like a BMX.
It is an old Hybrid I stripped and built up as a coaster brake only. Most of the time the seat is much lower forcing me to stand a lot which gives me a great workout.
I think OP is looking for advice for a BMX bike, not a singlespeed hybrid. if OP plans to ride his BMX bike the way it was meant to be ridden and got on a bike like that, he'd probably fold it in half on the first day.
Old 01-22-21, 06:27 PM
Kc2ine

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got new bmx 24" cruiser bike and I'm 6.1. Anyway over 6 foot height you need 21" plus frame bike and for free style riding and tricks chromoly frame.
Old 01-23-21, 03:19 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I think OP is looking for advice for a BMX bike, not a singlespeed hybrid. if OP plans to ride his BMX bike the way it was meant to be ridden and got on a bike like that, he'd probably fold it in half on the first day.
I am 5'9" but 225 pounds, This thing is not going to fold in half, I live and ride in Cambodia and ride this up and down dirt and gravel roads and some single track here. I had the BMX concept way back in 71 or 72. I took a Sears 20" stingray and put a fork from a 27" wheeled bike and put 20" knobbies front and rear. Rode that thing all over my town and county in Mid State Ohio. I have been riding similar bikes ever since.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 01-25-21, 01:45 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am 5'9" but 225 pounds, This thing is not going to fold in half, I live and ride in Cambodia and ride this up and down dirt and gravel roads and some single track here. I had the BMX concept way back in 71 or 72. I took a Sears 20" stingray and put a fork from a 27" wheeled bike and put 20" knobbies front and rear. Rode that thing all over my town and county in Mid State Ohio. I have been riding similar bikes ever since.
none of that information has anything to do with BMX bikes or BMX riding.
Old 01-26-21, 03:00 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

I find it interesting that this bike is recommended by the poster in the second post and it has almost the same geo as my bike albeit with a more "bmx" fork yet mack_turtle thinks mine is not appropriate. Mine will do the same as this bike except not be able to back pedal. Mine has a Brooks Cambium saddle, Ultegra cartridge BB, Tange headset, SR Seat post, Chili pepper DH bars, a true BMX stem, a Shimano CB-e110 Coaster brake hub, SS spokes, Shimano Front hub, Marathon tires. My bike weighs in a 28 pounds, 4 pounds lighter that the above suggested bike(specs below). My bike rides every bit as good as an old Mongoose I rode way back in the early 80s, except it fits me better than that monkey hugging a football mentioned in an earlier post.

From the website.
About this bike; The 29" Big Flyer continues to take the crown as the king of the streets. This year's bike is tougher than ever with the addition of an internal headset and mid-bottom bracket. With four awesome colorways to choose from, you can"t go wrong. Once again, "We Make It Happen."
Key Features
  • Lightweight 6061 aluminum floval tubing frame with internal headset, mid bottom bracket and SE Wave dropouts
  • Cr-Mo Landing Gear forks
  • Double-wall rims with sealed bearing rear hub
  • New SE Bozack 29” x 2.4” Tires
  • Big Flyer seat with grippy top cover
  • Retro top-load stem with hidden top cap for a clean look
  • 3-piece tubular cranks with custom SE Racing sprocket
  • SE nylon fiber pedals
  • SE Wheelie pegs and alloy valve caps included
  • 32 pounds

Last edited by bwilli88; 01-26-21 at 03:28 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 01-26-21, 03:34 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

none of that information has anything to do with BMX bikes or BMX riding.
Sure does, it shows that I know what I have done in regards to BMX riding.

It also shows that I have answered some of the OPs post Particularly item 3 and 4.

Originally Posted by JaysVlogs
  • I'm a 6'4 Teen.
  • I wanna be able to get into BMX but I don't know what type to get that will fit me..
  • I Just want something that I can ride On , and be cool with.
  • preferably something that isn't Uncomfortable.
If the OP has any mechanical ability He can purchase parts and come up with something rideable.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 02-02-21, 07:54 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Here is a nice looker that fits the OPs question
https://wethepeoplebmx.de/daily-arch...ng-the-avenger

Old 02-02-21, 08:06 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

There are a lot of BMX-ish bikes on the market that may or may not be appropriate for JaysVlogs needs. companies that have been around for a long time that were selling bikes to folks who were teenagers in the BMX boom of the late '90s are making cruiser-type bikes that look like BMX bikes. those folks are aging now with "dad bods" that don't hold up to truckerdrivers down stairs and handrail icepicks. S&M has a "covid-29" cruiser and SE Bikes has a ton of retro throwback bikes. the WTP above looks fun but I it would not be my first choice for a bike for BMX tricks. I think the Surly Lowside is in this vein as well. maybe the fairdale Taj? if you want something for tooling around the neighborhood doing wheelies and flowing around a pump track, these are probably fine. I don't think they will handle well at a skatepark or hucking yourself down stair cases, jumping doubles, and that sort of thing. if you're going to do barspins and tailwhips and grind brick leddes, bikes like the above are not going to cut it. have fun destroying your brake rotors after your first smith grind attempt. you want a purpose-made BMX bike with strength and geometry designed to handle well for that sort of thing.

there are countless bikes in the category or "proper BMX bikes." you want something with a strong chromoly frame (no "high-tensile steel" junk mixed it as you'll end up breaking that), cranks with sealed bearings (Ashtabula BBs are a pain in the butt), and strong wheels with double-walled rims. for your height, the trick is finding a bike with a long front end and a really tall handlebar.

one small detail: BMX bikes often are designed with very short chainstays, which makes it easier to pop the front end up and spin the bike. for someone who is very tall, a chainstay that's too short could be a liability. I've ridden with some taller guys who prefer a slightly longer chainstay, or they add a link to their chain to get the axle further back, because their height exaggerates shifts in their center of mass, making the bike tip over backwards with just a small shift in the hips.

Sunday makes their Model C bikes, which have 24" wheels and are designed to handle like a bmx bike for street and park riding. the larger wheels might feel more proportional for taller riders, so check that out.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-02-21 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-13-21, 12:41 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
you want something with a strong chromoly frame (no "high-tensile steel" junk mixed it as you'll end up breaking that)

Sunday makes their Model C bikes, which have 24" wheels and are designed to handle like a bmx bike for street and park riding. so check that out.

Except for the downtube, steerer tube, and dropouts, the Model C is high-ten.
Old 02-13-21, 06:41 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Rolla
Except for the downtube, steerer tube, and dropouts, the Model C is high-ten.
Ah, that sucks. I thought I recall that being a full 4130 bike when it came out. Maybe I am imagining that. Either way, they made it into a flimsy bike for big riders, which is a giant leap in the wrong direction. That's sad.
Old 02-27-21, 01:33 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

2021 Dyno Pro Compe LTD 29" bike RED - Planet BMX
based on a GT design from the 80s