Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn DeLuxe Twinn 5 Resto: Advice Needed!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn DeLuxe Twinn 5 Resto: Advice Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 08:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee

I never noticed that the fender bracket had been broken off, or that the bb shell had been forged in hell!

No, that's typical of Schwinn electro-forged BB shells. They were made from a plate of steel which was punched for the tube joints, curved in a circle, and welded. The seam was only partially smoothed over.

Darn shame about the fender bracket.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-08-22, 02:07 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Well, it took almost two years, but I finally got the Twinn that my wife bought me some twenty-odd years ago back together. I think I’ve moved three times with this in non-op condition. I didn’t realize what a huge weight would be lifted by the completion of this project.

Got lots of great tips from members, which were very helpful. bulgie recommended an mtb fork with canti mounts, but those are hard to find with 7” steerers, so that didn’t happen. I did, however, find this crazy, huge dual-pivot Tektro in the case at an LBS, and it works pretty darn good!

I built the front wheel around a Shimano disk hub because it was the only thing I could find at the co-ops with a threaded axle that I could swap for solid w/nuts. Plus, I figured it’d be a useful wheel down the road (fork with disc tabs?). The funny thing is this hub has a 10mm axle with turned-down ends, so that threw me for a loop when looking for a solid axle.

Built the rear wheel with burly 12g Sapim spokes to fill the hub flange holes. I saw this mod for the Atom drum brake, which is almost useless, on Sheldon Browne. Used the pulley from a Travel Agent that I haven’t used in 20 years, and it’s pretty slick. Needs a little work still before I trust it 100%, but if you trust the brakes 100% on this bike, you’re in trouble anyways!

Swapped the stem shifter for a Suntour XC thumbie that I only had one of, and it works fine. No reason to shift on the stem when you’re a captain.

And finally, among the items missing when I got this bike was the idler gear, so I made one from the guts of two Sram X9 derailleurs which have these weird off-center mounting holes. Used the pulley with sealed bearing.

It’s clattery, but I can’t imagine the original metal unit was any quieter. We’ll see how it holds up.

Rides about as well as a Twinn is gonna ride!
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 01-08-22, 07:55 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
That turned out great. I think you made good decisions choosing your parts without getting too carried away with modifications. Something to keep in mind, if you ever need a replacement headset, is that Tange makes some nice BMX headsets that will likely drop right in - I have a Schwinn Sports Tourer with high quality Tange BMX 125 cartridge bearing headset . It's pretty nice.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 01-09-22, 06:22 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
That bike turned out nice!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-09-22, 05:05 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee

Rides about as well as a Twinn is gonna ride!
Is that a single speed master link to the left of the idler pulley? If it is it looks like its missing the clip that keeps it from coming apart.
Old 01-09-22, 05:26 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
Is that a single speed master link to the left of the idler pulley? If it is it looks like its missing the clip that keeps it from coming apart.
Yes! Thanks for catching that! I’ve never been able to get it apart, so I think I had forgotten about it. I’ll get a new master link.

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-22, 07:46 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Great job with solid, practical components. Should serve you well!
Cheets,
Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 01-09-22, 08:17 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
It could be, but I'm 92% sure it's not. I think it's the type of master link that doesn't use the spring clip. It works by the thin outer plate having holes the nestle into grooves in the pins. The way you remove it is by flexing the chain sideways with both hands, to move the two pins closer together, allowing the outer plate to come off. Hard to explain but easy to demonstrate; maybe I should make a YouTube on it?

JacobLee , I'd say if the plate is hard to remove then you have the type I'm thinking of and it's working as expected, no need to replace it. Maybe try the flexing trick and see if the plate can be wiggled off. Can be tricky since both hands are needed to flex the chain, so you may want to have a helper wiggle the plate off while you do the flexing. I know I can do it myself (have done, many times over the decades), but I don't remember the exact proceedure as in which fingers are free to manipulate the plate while flexing the chain. I don't have one in front of me to try it to remind myself but ISTR it was easy enough..

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 01-09-22, 10:20 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by bulgie
It could be, but I'm 92% sure it's not. I think it's the type of master link that doesn't use the spring clip. It works by the thin outer plate having holes the nestle into grooves in the pins. The way you remove it is by flexing the chain sideways with both hands, to move the two pins closer together, allowing the outer plate to come off. Hard to explain but easy to demonstrate; maybe I should make a YouTube on it?

JacobLee , I'd say if the plate is hard to remove then you have the type I'm thinking of and it's working as expected, no need to replace it. Maybe try the flexing trick and see if the plate can be wiggled off. Can be tricky since both hands are needed to flex the chain, so you may want to have a helper wiggle the plate off while you do the flexing. I know I can do it myself (have done, many times over the decades), but I don't remember the exact proceedure as in which fingers are free to manipulate the plate while flexing the chain. I don't have one in front of me to try it to remind myself but ISTR it was easy enough..

Mark B
I suspect you’re right. I spent a few minutes with clamps and pliers trying to see the groove where a clip would go, but that plate doesn’t want to move. I had tried flexing the links as you described, but I’ll give it another shot, just to see if that’s the ticket. Again, I’ve never needed to break the chain, or been able to, so it’s probably fine, but I’d like to figure it out either way.