Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Projects, Deacls, Questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-16-20, 09:13 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts

After puttering away for most of the winter, I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The three bikes I'm working on are painted and need clear coated, but I have a couple questions about finishing them off. Here's what I have:
  • 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert (Miami Vice) - Lots of nicks and scratches that need to be touched up. I have them primed, and I'll use an airbrush to do the final paint. This will be one of my main riders this year, so I want it look OK - at least from 10 feet. This one will have a D-A 8-speed group on it.
  • Blue Bike - 1985 Mystery Frame that I'm building for my grandson. Ready for clear coating. But here's a question. I want to put a custom signature on the downtube, and the decal-making setup I have is awful. Any suggestions where I might get a few decals or transfers made that will work? Or should I do some sort of stencil job on it? This will have a full Shimano 105 8-speed setup.
  • 1974 Raleigh International - Also ready for clear coat. Since it is not a traditional color and is not a resto , should I do a decal set from Velocals, or should I just leave it naked and plain? This is one I'm a bit torn on. What are your opinions? Not sure of the groupset on this one other than it will have bar end shifters. Again, any suggestions?
Any opinions/advice is appreciated!

Old 03-16-20, 10:12 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
For the International, at least the TT International and the DT Raleigh decals would at least identify it.
Old 03-16-20, 10:21 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
I would decal the International. I’ve seen plenty of repainted Internationals in non-standard colors and I definitely appreciate the ones with decals. If it were me I’d use a Reynolds 531 decal too.