Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help to identify my 1968 Holdsworth

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 07:07 AM
DoubleClanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. As a brand new member, I apologise if this is in the wrong place . I am 72 and returning to cycling, once I have renovated my bike, after a gap of 65 years. I am hoping someone may be able to help me identify my bike. It seems to be a Bitza. It is a Holdsworth 1968 – Frame No. 32025, possibly a Mistral. The frame is white with a series of 8/9 green hoops on the downtube (under seat- sorry can’t remember the correct name), a longer panel of green on the top frame and down tube (from heat to crank). I want to keep it as true as possible to the model but one catalogue I have seen says choice of colours – if it is a Mistral. Anyone know what the choice was? The frame has the spear type joins on the tubing, also there are no lugs anywhere for the gear cable and no pump locators. Campag large flange hubs, downpost, Nuovo Record rear derailleur, however front crank, single, is a Silstar. Surely this should be Campag? The bike was offered as 5 or 10 speeds, but even if 5, I would still have expected Campag.. I seem to have read that later models may have Silstar, but not this early(?), Campag gear lever on downtube. However, there are 2 handlebar gear levers, Campag, which are not in use. Did the bike have 10 gears originally and for some reason changed to 5? Why? Or was it in the middle of upgrade? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 03-15-20, 07:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Post some pictures when you can; we're not going to get very far without them. I agree the Silstar crank seem incongruous with the other components.
Old 03-15-20, 08:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
DoubleClanger did you buy the bike new?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-15-20, 10:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
There is a Holdsworth serial number database online. It may be linked through ClassicRendezvous. If not, a general internet search should turn it up.Yeah get 10 posts over 2 days, then give us pics. Love to see it. My Holdsworth Special (rebranded as Harding) is a youngster by comparison. Oh, Welcome to BF C&V!
Old 03-15-20, 11:51 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
here is the thread with the frame numbers:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-numbers.html
Old 03-16-20, 06:53 AM
DoubleClanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for that Wildwood. I have checked the frame number database from Holdsworth. 32025 tells me it was 1968, but, as far as I am aware, does not tell me the Model. Is there a database that tells me the model. It is a total Bitsa as I said, so is particularly difficult to identify the model, Mistral, probably but could be Super Mistral or Cyclone. Maybe when I can post a picture it will all be clear to someone!
Old 03-16-20, 11:17 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleClanger
Many thanks for that Wildwood. I have checked the frame number database from Holdsworth. 32025 tells me it was 1968, but, as far as I am aware, does not tell me the Model. Is there a database that tells me the model. It is a total Bitsa as I said, so is particularly difficult to identify the model, Mistral, probably but could be Super Mistral or Cyclone. Maybe when I can post a picture it will all be clear to someone!
just go make some helpful comments on other posts until you get past 10 posts..
Old 03-16-20, 05:36 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
This may be helpful. https://www.nkilgariff.com/Models.htm
Old 03-17-20, 08:44 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 228 Posts
I restored and sold a 1972 Holdsworth Equipe a couple of years back. It was equipped with Campagnolo Valentino. A lower end Holdsworth, but a very nice bike. The fit was a bit larger than I like so I found a new home for it.

Old 03-17-20, 10:36 AM
DoubleClanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help to identify Holdsworth

Very many thanks. Very interesting and puts a few things in perspective.. The photos are MOST helpful. I will try and put one of my bike up, now I have got enough threads. DoubleClanger