Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

South African Bianchi Find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 02:04 PM
nicovlogg

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD4, Ritchey P650b, Cotic Escapade, Colnago C40, Bianchi ?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Dear fellow bike slaves

I'm wondering whether anybody has some clues to slate my curiosity. I saw an ad for a battered Bianchi, claimed to be a 1994 model, for the equivalent of 28USD, and bought it on the spot. I now have it in hand and am trying to figure out what I have (in terms of age, model, original components etc).

It's currently fitted with a chromed Colnago fork, mostly Shimano 600 components (including hubs) and an ITM stem. Columbus SL tubing for the frame. Would love any insights or tips! The fork is badly rusted and I will probably attempt a rechrome. As for the frame - should I consider a respray?

The BB shell has the following numbers on:

8C

​​​​​​​
Old 08-21-20, 02:50 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Wow, that's really rough with massive wear on the large chainring!

Bianchi can be very difficult to identify, as they varied so much from one market to another. Most members (myself included) are familiar with the North American models, which puts us a disadvantage when it comes to other countries. Having said that, the serial number would indicate 1988. The decals are 1990s but by 1994 I would have expected vertical dropouts. Still, the stay caps look more 1990s than 1988. Is the down tube tube round or oval where it enters the BB shell?
Old 08-21-20, 03:01 PM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Wow, that's really rough with massive wear on the large chainring!

Bianchi can be very difficult to identify, as they varied so much from one market to another. Most members (myself included) are familiar with the North American models, which puts us a disadvantage when it comes to other countries. Having said that, the serial number would indicate 1988. The decals are 1990s but by 1994 I would have expected vertical dropouts. Still, the stay caps look more 1990s than 1988. Is the down tube tube round or oval where it enters the BB shell?
Interesting, sounds like it may have come at a crossover period. The down tube appears to be perfectly round to my eye.

I'm hoping to find some replacements for the chainrings, shoudn't be hard, the other option is to put something like a 9 speed campy groupset on...
Old 08-21-20, 03:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
So a downtube shifter for the rear, and a brifter for the front? And a non-functional rear brifter? "Eclectic" build, sort of an inverse Lance.
Old 08-21-20, 03:42 PM
T-Mar

A round down tube would having be leaning towards the 1988 date as indicated by the serial number. Circa 1990-1991 Bianchi introduced their Superset II frame configuration and one of the features was a down tube that was oval at the bottom bracket end, with the major axis oriented transversely, to increase lateral stiffness in the bottom bracket region. They had to develop a special bottom bracket shell to accept the tubes and I would consume that since this was a marketable performance feature, as opposed to just cosmetics, that it would have been adopted across all markets.
Old 08-27-20, 06:48 AM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the information. I've managed to find time to strip the frame and have some more information.

The rear hub spacing is 126mm - which to me would indicate an earlier date, around 1988 as has been discussed. The rear dropouts are Gipiemme. It has a small knob to hang the chain on whil removing the tyre.

It appears as though the frame has been resprayed, which leads me to believe that the decals applied are not period correct - that's why they look like early 90's.

Finally, and most sadly, the frame has been in a bad crash, and there is a serious crack in the headtube. Fixing this might take the project way over budget, and I would assume that only a full tube replacement would suffice. Any opinions?

Old 08-27-20, 07:25 AM
T-Mar

I might be tempted to just have the inside of the head tube cleaned and run a weld bead over the crack. There's a good amount of clearance between the head tube and fork. It's not a proper repair but it a whole lot less expensive. You should consult some forum framebuilders like @gugie .
Old 08-27-20, 12:14 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Dang, too bad about the headtube crack. Rubbing wet aluminum foil on the chrome forks cleaned my rusty ones up nice. Good luck.
Old 08-27-20, 12:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Gotta figure that where a crack starts is usually a highest-stress area.

Using weld to fix such a location seems to beg for a repeat performance(?).
Old 08-28-20, 03:20 AM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Gotta figure that where a crack starts is usually a highest-stress area.

Using weld to fix such a location seems to beg for a repeat performance(?).
This was from a crash impact, so don't think it's a weak area in general or anything like that. I've asked a few local framebuilders for advice.
Old 08-28-20, 07:01 AM
T-Mar

Typically, front end crash damage manifests itself as bent top and down tubes, just behind the head lug. The head tube itself rarely cracks, unless it was overheated during the brazing process, which lowers the strength of the steel.
Old 08-31-20, 08:14 AM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Typically, front end crash damage manifests itself as bent top and down tubes, just behind the head lug. The head tube itself rarely cracks, unless it was overheated during the brazing process, which lowers the strength of the steel.
The previous owner totalled the fork in the crash, so I know it was intense, but I hear you - this crack is in the middle of the tube, quite strange. Have you had any experience with a TIG weld to fix this sort of crack? I might feel a bit unsafe on it.
Old 08-31-20, 09:27 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I might be tempted to just have the inside of the head tube cleaned and run a weld bead over the crack. There's a good amount of clearance between the head tube and fork. It's not a proper repair but it a whole lot less expensive.
With the TIG welding equipment I've used, I think it would be very hard to get in there and do anything. First, it would be hard to clean up so that a decent weld could happen. Second, I don't know any TIG torch or MIG gun that could strike up an arc and accomplish anything decent inside such a small tube like that. Doing it from outside would be harder, because there are lugs and filler metal (dissimilar metals) to contend with, and this always gets messy in TIG. Granted I'm not there to look at this bike, but that's my semiprofessional opinion (I'm not a welder by trade, but I weld things sometimes for work). You could talk to a welder about it, but at least American welders are usually more conservative than me.

Having said all this, I would think about trying it with my welder if it were my bike. What do you have to lose? Worst case, you cut the tube/melt out the braze and replace it the traditional way.
Old 09-02-20, 01:44 PM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hear you on that. Might be worth a shot. Only problem is if I intend to sell it on, I would want to feel confident in the repair.
Old 10-05-20, 10:59 AM
nicovlogg

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After visiting 3 local framebuilders and being told by each that a comprehensive fix would blow the budget before even looking at painting, a new fork, or any other components, I've decided to pass the project on and await the next frame with less complications. C'est la vie!