Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The "Identify This Component" Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The "Identify This Component" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 11:43 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Maybe there are some sort of arms or handles that are supposed to go on that Cinelli tool.
I was thinking the same thing:

The notches on the Cinelli version allow fitment of different resistance bands:

DD
Old 11-06-18, 11:57 AM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Close!

ISM - Ideal Saddle Modification "Saddle" HUH???

Back in 2010 I was having lots of saddle problems any time I rode over ~20 miles. I spent a bunch of money on saddles that didn't help. In a pique of desperation, I tried this one out. I didn't get around the block on it!

Maybe on a stationary bike???

FREE FOR SHIPPING PM me.

verktyg
Vertyg,
Not withstanding the goofieness of that saddle, I admire anyone who will do what it takes to feed their passion for riding. I remember the late Sheldon writing about switching to a trike when he could no longer keep upright on two wheels. Glad to see you've been back on "normal" saddles though.
Old 11-06-18, 12:13 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
@rootboy I think I asked over on CR when I first got it, maybe here as well. I don't think anybody had a definitive idea what it was.

@Prowler Here's a "wide open" picture. I agree the notches look like they're supposed to hold some sort of spring or elastic. I'm skeptical of the third-hand idea. It's made of aluminum, the center pivot is just riveted in place, and it only weighs 17g. That doesn't strike me as something robust enough to hold up to repeated usage, even in a home shop.

What does the bottom of the handle look like? is that a notch or hole? My guess is something to do with centerpull brake adjustment.
Old 11-09-18, 07:33 PM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia
The Bicycle Research freewheel remover in curbtender's post #14 is for Maillard/Normandy freewheels - bike boom era - with an unusually large diameter. The attached photograph, showing a non-Bicycle Research tool, is borrowed from eBay.
Beat me to it. I still have one in my toolbox, along with an Atom, a Regina, and an early Phil Wood for a SunTour Ulta-6. These wereall on my Raleigh Comp at one time or another.
Old 11-10-18, 08:56 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
That Cinelli piece looks like it could have been used as some sort of brake return assist, maybe for a canti or center pull style that bolt on to the frame, that or maybe a vacuum advance for a goats a$$ lol.

Glenn
Old 11-11-18, 08:32 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What does the bottom of the handle look like? is that a notch or hole? My guess is something to do with centerpull brake adjustment.
Completely unrelated. It was just what I grabbed to prop up the Cinelli part for the picture.
Old 11-11-18, 08:36 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
That Cinelli piece looks like it could have been used as some sort of brake return assist, maybe for a canti or center pull style that bolt on to the frame...
That had occurred to me. For that application, it would need some sort of spring. If that was the application, it would seem to be just as much of a hindrance as a help though. Wouldn't it increase braking effort?

I may never find out what this thing is supposed to do. Whatever it is, it doesn't really seem to be up to Cinelli's usual quality.
Old 11-11-18, 08:50 AM
smontanaro 

OK, I seem to have struck out on the Cinelli thingie. That was something I actually purchased. This item came in one of John Pergolizzi's surprise boxes. (CR denizens will know the reference.) Given that it came from Signore Pergolizzi, its almost certainly Italian in origin. (Also, I could send him an email, but this is more fun.) It clearly seems to be a mount of some sort. Though a bit elongated, measuring the clamp part suggests it would be suitable to mount on a seat tube or top tube. The clamp reads "MOD. RICCI". Maybe a light or generator mount?

As an aside, I enjoy scrolling through listings from some of the more profilic Italian eBay sellers. The pedestrian bits are just so much more interesting. Since we treated bikes as kids' toys in the US for at least a couple generations, we missed out on all the little accoutrements which adults would need on their bikes. I mean, who wouldn't want a newspaper clamp for their bike's fender?

Old 11-11-18, 10:24 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
OK, I seem to have struck out on the Cinelli thingie. That was something I actually purchased. This item came in one of John Pergolizzi's surprise boxes. (CR denizens will know the reference.) Given that it came from Signore Pergolizzi, its almost certainly Italian in origin. (Also, I could send him an email, but this is more fun.) It clearly seems to be a mount of some sort. Though a bit elongated, measuring the clamp part suggests it would be suitable to mount on a seat tube or top tube. The clamp reads "MOD. RICCI". Maybe a light or generator mount?

As an aside, I enjoy scrolling through listings from some of the more profilic Italian eBay sellers. The pedestrian bits are just so much more interesting. Since we treated bikes as kids' toys in the US for at least a couple generations, we missed out on all the little accoutrements which adults would need on their bikes. I mean, who wouldn't want a newspaper clamp for their bike's fender?

In all these years hanging around C&V, this is the first thing to strike me to pay attention to Italian bikes. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-11-18, 11:24 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
Maybe a chain guard holder?
Old 11-11-18, 11:57 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Not vintage but I picked this up in a box of stuff from Craig's, got a good deal on some woodchippers and tektro levers plus two brand new xc tires. Anyway what is it?

Old 11-11-18, 03:42 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
I bought this part from eBay.it a couple years ago because it's stamped "Cinelli." I didn't know what it is. Neither did the seller. Something brake-ish I suppose. A few more images on Flickr

So I posed this to the Australian bicycles.net.au forum and the winning answer was this:

Originally Posted by WyvernRH
The straddle cable on a cantilever or centre pull brakeset is clamped in the bolts at each end close to the brake arms. This leaves the serrated arms at a slight angle from horizontal above the straddle cable serrations on the down side of the arm. You tuck a finger under each serrated arm and pull up to tension the straddle cable and push the brake pads against the wheel. This allows your other hand to tuck the cable puller thingy under the straddle, adjust the brake cable running thru it and tighten up the lock bolt.

What do you think? It would work best on Cantilever brakes I feel
With the idea that there should probably be some sort of spring between the serrated arms:

The closest I found were these Pro-Set tools: https://www.bikewagon.com/shimano-tl...tool-gauge-set
Old 02-12-19, 08:48 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

I don't know if there is a newer thread on this subject, so I will just revive this thread.
There two items in question, two photos of each.
Anyone have an idea on the first alloy bit?
On the bolt, its marked "S", any idea what its for?
Thanks.
Old 02-13-19, 07:25 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
3 things

In a box of stuff. Ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-13-19, 07:42 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
The things on the far right are replacement studs and an installation tool, they bolt to the bottom of shoes/boots/cleats to give more traction in certain ground conditions. I have a couple pairs of MTB cleats that can accept such studs.
Old 02-13-19, 07:50 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando

I don't know if there is a newer thread on this subject, so I will just revive this thread.
There two items in question, two photos of each.
Anyone have an idea on the first alloy bit?
On the bolt, its marked "S", any idea what its for?
Thanks.
a rear derailleur stop? But alloy? And what would thread into it?

the bolt: “S” for Simplex?
Old 02-13-19, 08:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Those parts appear to be a crank bolt and part of a crankarm thread chaser. If you don't screw the crank puller in enough you can damage your threads. When this happens you try to repair them with the thread chaser. Here is a photo. I think the other piece is an ordinary crank bolt. It could be an extension of the chaser.

Last edited by seypat; 02-13-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 09:02 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts

Just a guess... Might that be a mount so that you could fit a braze-on front derailleur to a bike that doesn't have the braze-on fitting?
Old 02-13-19, 09:16 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Looks like a clamp-on adapter to mount a braze-on front derailleur to a seat tube with no braze-on FD mount.

EDIT: Zorro beat me to it
Old 02-13-19, 09:41 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by eom

Thanks

The Silver adapters are for 2000 ish Rock Shok SID forks for adding air, the fat end of the adapter is schrader. The black collars are for thru axle bikes, kind of like bearing cones and lock ring for the spacing to mount in the bike.. (if that makes sense)

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/produc...e-adapter-tool

Here are ones for Mavic Wheels https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/mavic/thru-axle-adaptor
Old 10-07-20, 12:27 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Stump the band

The Raleigh guy is inside the circle.
What is it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-20, 03:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
The Raleigh guy is inside the circle.
What is it?

Thanks in advance.
The bicycle part in your picture is part of a Raleigh self-adjusting brake lever. The ratchet wheel takes up slack as the pads wear. Better in theory than in practice.

The "Raleigh guy" is a depiction of the famous incident where Sir Walter Raleigh spreads his cape across a puddle so Queen Elizabeth I can cross it without soiling her feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleigh-brake-lever.jpg (82.7 KB, 114 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-07-20, 05:53 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

JohnDThompson Thanks! I knew that it wouldn't stump the band.

Old 07-19-21, 08:29 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Tool ID Please

Old 07-19-21, 01:30 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Originally Posted by eom

-----

hast thee measured the openings to see if they be fractional or metric?

( probably not Whitworth )

wondering if it might be from a pedal manufacturer

might assist readers if something placed in image for purposes of scale...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-19-21 at 01:32 PM. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.