Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Trying to Decide on a New Tri Bike

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 10-25-20, 11:20 PM
pierrers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Started triathlon July 2019 with a used Trek Equinox TTX 9.0. It was a hard transition from road bikes and I couldn't hold the aero position for more than a minute or two. I meant to have a pro fit done, but wasn't sure I was keeping the bike. Did 7 tri's last year on it and then signed up for my first 1/2 distance IM in 2020. Again thought I'd get a new bike, so, like an idiot, I put off a bike fit. It's gotten easier to ride as my training advanced, but it's still hard to hold the aero position for more than 5 minutes at a time, even after completely two 1/2 iron distance solo races this summer. I didn't realize how bad it was until I test rode two new bikes last week and found that I could hold the aero position on both of them for what felt like forever.

So, looking ahead to 2021 I'm trying to decide on my best bike options for my first full distance IM. My budget is a modest $2500-3200.

Choices:

2020 Argon 18 e117 (Ultegra components)

2020 Cervelo P2 (105 components)

or

Fitting my 2009 Trek Equinox TTX 9.0 and changing my aerobars. The current Bontrager Light aerobars angle downward and are very uncomfortable. Both the Argon and Cervelo have aerobars that angle up sharply at the end and are much more egronomic.

Regardless, which way I go, I'll be getting a pro fit right away, but is it worth dropping $2000-3000 on a new entry level TT bike over my older Trek Equinox which is pretty much the same weight.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts. Thank you!
Old 10-28-20, 09:18 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I'm 59 years old and I've been doing tri since it first became an organized sport back in the 80s. But...I've never had more than an aluminum Cannondale road bike set up for tri with clip-on bars/brakes, and a seatpost that provide a more tri-friendly angle. I've always kept it set up for tri, and used it for racing only...and would train on my other road bikes. So...my opinion may not be that valuable to you. In the past 15 or so years I could afford an expensive tri-specific bike if I really wanted/needed one...but why? As a 'weekend warrior' who am I racing against? What am I trying to accomplish? Regardless of whatever bike I could be on...I'm not going to be vying for 1st place overall. Nor even in the overall standings. Occasionally I would snatch an age group award. And I would just chuckle when I'd see others in my age-group on very expensive tri-specific bikes...finishing well behind me. So...(IMO) if you're seeking to move up in the overall standings, and you think that the expensive, tri-specific bike can do that for you...do it! Or, maybe you just like the idea and feel of a more specialized, technical bike. That's OK too. But...if the race is just in your head, and you're only racing yourself and trying to beat your PR...stay with the old bike and relish the times you beat those expensive bikes.

Dan
Old 10-29-20, 10:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
You still need a fit before purchase so that you can determine both the size bike and brand of bike to purchase. Certain bikes cover a larger set of fit coordinates than others can "out of the box". You don't even necessarily need to use your existing bike to do this, go to a fitter with the right setup.

Then, once you choose and buy you can transfer those coordinates to the new bike at initial setup.

FWIW, having a "cocked down" cockpit on the extensions in any manner will make a tri or TT bike feel really tough to ride. The ergo of "higher hands" and angled armpads is not something exclusive to newer bikes.

I run that way on my 2008 Felt DA. It's just that some of the new bikes allow for that fit coord whereas the old bikes have you buying aftermarket shims or angle blocks and such to accomplish that.

But, how much you've ridden it so far.......I'd kind of like to see a pic of the fit if you're still THAT uncomfortable. I have a very aggressive TT bike fit and can still ride 2+ hour endurance training rides on it just fine.
Old 11-04-20, 07:46 AM
r6evo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should get a bike fit done on your current bike first as this could save you a lot of money. The difference in comfort after a profession fit is night and day and you could use the rest of your available money on wheels, or Di2 for example? Also once you have had a bike fit they should provide you with measurements that you can take to another bike for when you upgrade.