Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Walking (Fun!) vs Bicycling for Exercise

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Walking (Fun!) vs Bicycling for Exercise

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 11:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Biking is far more interesting than walking. On a bike you can go so much further and see more things. It keep you from getting bored with the same scenery.
Old 12-24-20, 11:43 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I go walking a couple of times a week. I keep it interesting by chasing a small white ball.
Old 12-24-20, 12:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I just finished re-reading a book of hiking stories in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I had sort of forgotten how much I enjoyed hiking there. The terrain is rugged and many people today use treking poles which helps avoid stumbles and falls. Rugged hills and poles gives you an upper body workout. I enjoy the views from treeless ridges where you can see for many miles. Hiking and camping during winter in snow requires a whole different set of skills so it is rewarding in a different way.

Some years ago while living in the South I was able to play tennis regularly 2-4 times per week. In the area where I lived, some tennis courts were paved and some were clay. One exercise helpful in tennis is to jump rope just as boxers do and for the same reason, to improve foot speed. It was particularly interesting that bouncing around on a clay court did not cause a problem but the paves courts began to bother my knees. I conclude from this that urban athletes running on sidewalks or streets are doing long term damage to knees.
Old 01-02-21, 09:09 AM
cficole

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Cruiser, 1995 Trek 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had to rediscover walking and cycling since COVID put a damper on my local gym and regular basketball games.
Likes For cficole:
Old 01-02-21, 06:17 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cficole
I've had to rediscover walking and cycling since COVID put a damper on my local gym and regular basketball games.
Never able to easily run like other kids due to bowed legs I "discovered" competitive walking to be fun when wife and I slowly walked the WaltDisneyWorld Marathon Weekend 5K in January 2010. In November we walked our first Half Marathon In Cocoa at the Space Coast Marathon/Half Marathon. In preparation for that half Marathon I began to train to "Speed Walk" using the Chi Walking Method by Danny Dreyer. This method was extremely easy/soft on my knees which by that time at age 61 were bone on bone. Still requiring the use of Cho Pat Double Knee Straps to lessen the chance of the unexpected buckling my training proved very successful enabling me to walk the 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend 5K and 1/2 Marathon with my wife and then on Sunday walk the Marathon in 4:56:28. The completion of all 3 events was known as an Unofficial Dopey Challenge that official became The Dopey Challenge in 2015 combining a 5K on Thursday morning, a 10K on Friday morning, a Half Marathon on Saturday morning and the Full Marathon on Sunday morning. Extending that a bit farther, I walked a Half Marathon in Fort Wilderness on Monday morning before wife and I went to Port Canaveral for a Disney Dream 4 Day Cruise on which early Tuesday morning at 4AM I walked the decks for a 10K then Wednesday morning we walked in the Inaugural Marathon Weekend Castaway Cay 5K. 71 miles in 7 days.

Now in 2021 the right knee is long overdue for replacement and the left is not far behind. I can not walk around Walmart without pain and the intrusion has even hit my bicycling. The same Ortho who replaced my shoulder in 2016 will give me new knees BUT not for a while.
Old 01-03-21, 08:55 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I'm one of the unfortunate few with a congenital issue that makes waking painful & running nearly impossible. But as cycling is largely not weight-bearing, I can do that just fine; so that's been my lifelong sport.
I get some tracking issues with my leg (no fixing that with a bike fitting) that is slowly messing up my one knee; I can barely squat my body weight with it now & it's only getting worse.
But I'll have to live with that. I don't know if I would still be here if I didn't exercise at all!
Old 01-03-21, 09:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’ll be 60 next month. I’ve always considered myself a runner first...since I joined my high school track, and CC teams back in ‘75. Reluctantly that’s changing. As I’ve gotten older I’ve scaled back running. But I’ve always like having it to break up numerous days of cycling. Hip replacement in 2018, and a couple of knee injuries around the same time have sorta put an end to my running. I can run on the hip, but the knee is bone-on-bone and just makes running not fun. Walking is OK but I just miss running. I’ve always enjoyed the ease of it, and the ability do it just about anywhere. It’s always been my mode of exploration. I’ve run up and down mountains, along vast stretches of beach, and miles upon miles with no land in sight (on the decks of aircraft carriers). I still like getting “out there” on foot...and I’m still trying a bit of jogging now and then. But I guess I’m in a transition mode from runner to walker. I’ll be 60 next month. I’ve always considered myself a runner first...since I joined my high school track, and CC teams back in ‘75. Reluctantly that’s changing. As I’ve gotten older I’ve scaled back running. But I’ve always like having it to break up numerous days of cycling. Fortunately I have swimming, too. Hip replacement in 2018, and a couple of knee injuries around the same time have sorta put an end to my running. I can run on the hip, but the knee is bone-on-bone and just makes running not fun. Walking is OK but I just miss running. I’ve always enjoyed the ease of it, and the ability do it just about anywhere. It’s always been my mode of exploration. I’ve run up and down mountains, along vast stretches of beach, and miles upon miles with no land in sight (on the decks of aircraft carriers). I still like getting “out there” on foot...and I’m still trying a bit of jogging now and then. But I guess I’m in a transition mode from runner to walker.

Dan