Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ or 50- Doesn't matter Tall, long legged riders have it made!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ or 50- Doesn't matter Tall, long legged riders have it made!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 04:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am 6’+ and inseam at 35” so for me and my vintage racers 62-63 cm is the sweet spot. I have one bike that has 175 crank arms and I can zip along pretty good on that bike . I still get passed, I attribute it to age (66) and the fact that I am stuck in the seventies as far as my bikes. There was a time forty years ago that I didn’t get passed at all but it no longer matters to me now. I just ride for me , but I am still able to keep a good pace and enjoy the ride at the same time.
Old 01-07-21, 12:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The seminal and most important book on power training, Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Allen and Coggan not only mentions HR, but acknowledges the benefit of HR awareness and includes it in their tables for setting zones, so I don’t know on what authority or expertise those who claim use of HR with power is a mistake, but it’s certainly a part of all major power training platforms I’ve seen, including Training Peaks, Carmichael, Friel, Wattbike, Strava to Zwift. I’m not familiar with any power based training program which does not use HR.

I disagree with your assesment of the reason for the dominance of power based training. It’s simply more time-efficient and effectivet HR. All top cyclists in every discipline, from road to track and even BMX, use power meters, and unless it’s your assertion that top level, professional racer coaching, from Tour de France teams to the Olympics, “lacks the experience” to understand HR training, your comment is obviously absurd.
I said no such thing. You're putting words in my mouth. You might want to reread my post, then yours. See the difference? And power is not simply "more time-efficient and effectivet HR." Sometimes it is, but mostly it isn't, which is the advantage of using both. I could point out a couple of simple examples: 3 X 3 X3 VO2max intervals, a 3000' climb in the heat.

I also didn't mention any "power-based training program". Repeating myself, I said, "power-based training plan." Some plans are offered as either power or HR based versions. Quoting myself again, "so far I haven't seen a power-based training plan which made any mention of HR." That doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe so. I said, "so far I haven't seen." You have examples I could look at? What I'm talking about is like that 3 X 3 x 3 set at 110% or whatever which also says something like "your HR should be well into Z5 by the end of the 3rd interval. If it isn't, your FTP might be set too low or you might be too tired for this workout."

Quoting myself again, "IMO the HRM takes more experience to interpret than does power. IMO, this latter is the reason for the quick adoption of power among cyclists." I don't see pro or elite riders as "quick adopters." I'm talking about the folks who are getting power meters so they can follow their first training plan. It's the in thing to do. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Power meters are wonderful tools. I was an early adopter of the HRM in '96. Remember Sally Edwards' Heart Zone Training? What I don't see on BF are any riders planning on getting an HRM to follow their first plan. And that said, it could have been that the same percentage were getting an HRM back in the day also, but I wasn't following that adoption on social media. Maybe I'm wrong and it's about the same.

It would be appreciated if you would please not misconstrue my posts. And I'll bookmark your reply for future discussions with the anti-HRM crowd, so thanks for that.
Old 01-07-21, 01:14 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It may well be that shear size produces some advantage in strength or endurance in the general population. However, there is a vast spectrum of capacities for high performance in any particular sport. There is a woman in the bike club here who is tiny, under 5', but she rides with the fast group who I know ride at 22 mph for 4 hours or so. I just remembered, we had a boy in high school who was 5'9" but could out jump a 6 footer and was also a very good sprinter. So the combination of sheer strength and endurance is variable and can yield a wide level of performance

If the discussion is more about a specific population, such as professionals at, say tennis or basketball, then taller is better.
Old 01-07-21, 02:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I said no such thing. You're putting words in my mouth. You might want to reread my post, then yours. See the difference? And power is not simply "more time-efficient and effectivet HR." Sometimes it is, but mostly it isn't, which is the advantage of using both. I could point out a couple of simple examples: 3 X 3 X3 VO2max intervals, a 3000' climb in the heat.

I also didn't mention any "power-based training program". Repeating myself, I said, "power-based training plan." Some plans are offered as either power or HR based versions. Quoting myself again, "so far I haven't seen a power-based training plan which made any mention of HR." That doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe so. I said, "so far I haven't seen." You have examples I could look at? What I'm talking about is like that 3 X 3 x 3 set at 110% or whatever which also says something like "your HR should be well into Z5 by the end of the 3rd interval. If it isn't, your FTP might be set too low or you might be too tired for this workout."

Quoting myself again, "IMO the HRM takes more experience to interpret than does power. IMO, this latter is the reason for the quick adoption of power among cyclists." I don't see pro or elite riders as "quick adopters." I'm talking about the folks who are getting power meters so they can follow their first training plan. It's the in thing to do. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Power meters are wonderful tools. I was an early adopter of the HRM in '96. Remember Sally Edwards' Heart Zone Training? What I don't see on BF are any riders planning on getting an HRM to follow their first plan. And that said, it could have been that the same percentage were getting an HRM back in the day also, but I wasn't following that adoption on social media. Maybe I'm wrong and it's about the same.

It would be appreciated if you would please not misconstrue my posts. And I'll bookmark your reply for future discussions with the anti-HRM crowd, so thanks for that.
Besides I can’t make sense of what you’re trying to say, I quoted your comments with my reply, and gave examples of what I was referring to, so that’s a matter of record and I’ll leave it to others to discern for themselves whether I put worda in your mouth or misconstrued you. Obviously, I think I did not do either, and your odd, rambling, defensive post reassures me of that assessment.

As for your claim of me being anti-HRM, that’s a blatant lie; my first comment here was that “it’d be pretty darn silly to train with power and without an HRM.”

Get a grip of yourself, ‘boy.
Old 01-09-21, 07:32 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Tall, short-legged riders, on the other hand, have to kludge things together.

While I'm at it, why the $&^@ do clothing makers assume that if your torso is long, it's also huuuuuuuge around?
Yep, I get it! Just TRY to find a dress shirt with a 18-1/2" neck (my neck is over 18" so if I need to button the top button just to wear a tie, I need a 18-1/2" or 19" neck shirt). If I do find one, it is made for a really BIG person! I also need a 46Long or 48Long jacket to fit my chest/shoulders, but with my 34" waist, I'm swimming in it! Doubly so if I need a long-sleeve shirt. 34 or 34-1/2" sleeves for me. 5'8", and Long of torso, but short (29") inseam. Yep, I'm built like Magilla Gorilla... XXL 7-5/8" hat size. Take the average 6'3"-person upper body/arms and put it on 5'3"-person legs! 8EEE shoes with extremely high arches. I'm living proof that somebody in God's body-design-shop was either having an off day - or they had a warped sense of humor!
Old 01-09-21, 09:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Yep, I get it! Just TRY to find a dress shirt with a 18-1/2" neck (my neck is over 18" so if I need to button the top button just to wear a tie, I need a 18-1/2" or 19" neck shirt). If I do find one, it is made for a really BIG person! I also need a 46Long or 48Long jacket to fit my chest/shoulders, but with my 34" waist, I'm swimming in it! Doubly so if I need a long-sleeve shirt. 34 or 34-1/2" sleeves for me. 5'8", and Long of torso, but short (29") inseam. Yep, I'm built like Magilla Gorilla... XXL 7-5/8" hat size. Take the average 6'3"-person upper body/arms and put it on 5'3"-person legs! 8EEE shoes with extremely high arches. I'm living proof that somebody in God's body-design-shop was either having an off day - or they had a warped sense of humor!
Lol I used to work with a guy my height, but his legs went up to his armpits. I'm like, dude, I'm supposed to be a center and you're supposed to be a jockey. We got screwed.

You know what really sucks? When you have a point guards legs, with the upper body and ball skills of a center.
Old 01-10-21, 09:08 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
All I know is it seems the shorter cyclists I ride with all seem to ride behind my 6’ body.