Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cube Freehub Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cube Freehub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 05:27 AM
Crashleigh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cube Freehub Removal

Hi everyone hope all is well. I recently bought a new Cube Attain SL 2021 road bike and noticed that some grit got into the the freehub where the pawls meet the splines. Basically I just want to remove the free hub so that I can clear the grit.

Ive removed the axel and bearings, I just need to remove the freehub body itself. Does anyone know how I might do this? I've tried just pulling on it and I've tried a 10mm Allen key to no avail. Might I need just need a bigger Allen key?

The wheels themselves are CUBE RA 1.9 Aero Disc. I've tried to find the manual for these wheels but apparently it's either non existent or hidden very well (or I'm just thick)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.r
Old 01-21-21, 04:59 AM
FTB
Luke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashleigh
Hi everyone hope all is well. I recently bought a new Cube Attain SL 2021 road bike and noticed that some grit got into the the freehub where the pawls meet the splines. Basically I just want to remove the free hub so that I can clear the grit.

Ive removed the axel and bearings, I just need to remove the freehub body itself. Does anyone know how I might do this? I've tried just pulling on it and I've tried a 10mm Allen key to no avail. Might I need just need a bigger Allen key?

The wheels themselves are CUBE RA 1.9 Aero Disc. I've tried to find the manual for these wheels but apparently it's either non existent or hidden very well (or I'm just thick)

Are the hubs Cube branded? I appreciate that you need 10 posts for pics but every hub is different.
How do you know the freehub needs service?
Do you know that the freehub has open pawls which are servicable?
Shimano freehubs are non servicable and require replacing if worn, yet based on the age of the bike, it's unlikely a shimano FH would be worn severely.
Thanks
Old 01-21-21, 09:59 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Contact Cube. They may be able to give you the info you need. CUBE Contact
Old 01-21-21, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Grit is going to get everywhere on a bike. To a large extent bikes can handle that without requiring one to completely disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble. If being finicky is your thing then go for it. But if you do nothing but clean it externally as best you can you'll get many thousands of miles worth of riding from the bike.

I used to be finicky, but found it took up too much of my riding time.
Old 01-21-21, 10:47 AM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it turns out it needed a 15mm Allen key. I didn't see the splines inside as they weren't obvious so after shining a torch through there I just about found them.

Thanks for the help though. It turns out the the grit is in the inside of the freehub body itself and to your point Iride01 I'm just being finicky. The compulsion to keep it in absolute perfect condition is strong but its also very time consuming and expensive 😅
Old 01-21-21, 01:35 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Easy flush and lube video.
Old 05-20-21, 10:51 PM
ice962

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same issue

Hi
Dod you sort this issue as I have the same bike with the same problem
Old 05-21-21, 06:05 AM
Crashleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ice962
Hi
Dod you sort this issue as I have the same bike with the same problem

Hi Ice962 yeah I did manage to sort it. It was a 14mm long allen key that went through the non drive side to loosen the bolt that the freehub body is attached to.

If your looking for a replacement freehub body I've been told that you can only get it from Cube themselves. I had to buy the whole hub (which included the freehub body) and take the freehub body off the new one and put it on the old. A vice was needed to hold the new hub in place while you lossen the freehub body bolt because its was ridiculously tight. This in turn damaged the new hub (not the freehub body) itself and made it almost unusable so just bear that in mind if you plan on doing the same.
Old 05-23-21, 05:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
So it turns out it needed a 15mm Allen key. I didn't see the splines inside as they weren't obvious so after shining a torch through there I just about found them.
There you go.
Old 06-11-21, 10:49 PM
ice962

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thread direction.

Hi . As you said the threads are tight . Can you remember which direction they go .

Hi Ice962 yeah I did manage to sort it. It was a 14mm long allen key that went through the non drive side to loosen the bolt that the freehub body is attached to.

If your looking for a replacement freehub body I've been told that you can only get it from Cube themselves. I had to buy the whole hub (which included the freehub body) and take the freehub body off the new one and put it on the old. A vice was needed to hold the new hub in place while you lossen the freehub body bolt because its was ridiculously tight. This in turn damaged the new hub (not the freehub body) itself and made it almost unusable so just bear that in mind if you plan on doing the same.
Old 05-22-22, 02:01 AM
mdr78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Crashleigh ... Was that a 14mm or 15mm hex key you used, you mention both in the thread.
Old 05-23-22, 03:35 PM
Bobsmith1234512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdr78
@Crashleigh ... Was that a 14mm or 15mm hex key you used, you mention both in the thread.
I'll be able to tell you in a few days. I just ordered a 14mm Allen key. Bit worried about OP saying you can only buy the freehub from Cube. I was just gonna take it off then order another that looked similar
Old 05-23-22, 04:01 PM
Bobsmith1234512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If your looking for a replacement freehub body I've been told that you can only get it from Cube themselves. I had to buy the whole hub (which included the freehub body) and take the freehub body off the new one and put it on the old.
I need to buy a replacement freehub as well. When you contacted Cube did they give you a part ID or a link to buy a new freehub? I've sent them an email just waiting for a reply.
Old 05-25-22, 07:16 AM
Bobsmith1234512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@mdr78 It is a 14mm hex. Remove anticlockwise from the non-drive side. My hub is a 12mm through axle. Here is a video if you want to compare freehubs (remove the spaces in the link, this forum doesnt support video but then also wont let you link them). ht tps ://ww w.red dit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/uxh0z1/cube_ra_08_aero_disc_wheel_set_freehub_removal/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Old 05-30-22, 02:37 PM
mdr78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobsmith1234512
@mdr78 It is a 14mm hex. Remove anticlockwise from the non-drive side. My hub is a 12mm through axle. Here is a video if you want to compare freehubs (remove the spaces in the link, this forum doesnt support video but then also wont let you link them). ht tps ://ww w.red dit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/uxh0z1/cube_ra_08_aero_disc_wheel_set_freehub_removal/?ref=share&ref_source=link
It is fairly welded on there, it won't budge.
Old 07-30-23, 12:42 AM
halfbottle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have what sounds like a similar problem. Were your hubs Cube branded? How much was a new hub?
Thanks
Old 07-30-23, 11:43 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by halfbottle
I have what sounds like a similar problem. Were your hubs Cube branded? How much was a new hub?
Thanks
you should consider buying a different brand of hub assy.... the Cube hub has a real problem with ingesting road dirt!

make sure they see the numerous reports of the "grinding noise" from multiple sources and owners.
then consider the fact that Cube bikes are kinda rare, yet there are multiple reports of the "grinding noise"....

Last edited by maddog34; 07-31-23 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-31-23, 07:08 AM
halfbottle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
you should consider buying a different brand of hub assy.... the Cube hub has a real problem with ingesting road dirt!
Good to know, thanks. Sounds like road dirt, the grinding noise is not as bad after I washed the bike. I'll take it to LBS and see what they think.
Old 07-31-23, 11:03 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by halfbottle
Good to know, thanks. Sounds like road dirt, the grinding noise is not as bad after I washed the bike. I'll take it to LBS and see what they think.
make sure they are aware of multiple reports of the "grinding noises", also that those reports have come from numerous owners, and via numerous sources.
my choice would be a different hub assy.
Water acts as a temporary lubricant on seal surfaces.........