Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Pearl Izumi products made for Asian/Japanese people?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Pearl Izumi products made for Asian/Japanese people?

Old 01-26-21, 12:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
PI offers several different cuts.

I need an XL in their PRO line, large in the Elite line, and a medium in their mountain bike line.

The PRO line is pretty similar to a lot of the European brands. I take an XL or XXL in Castelli, for instance.

Sizing chart interpret: too fat to be a Pro; big slow oaf on A rides; just average on a mountain bike.

Old 01-26-21, 12:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Sizing chart interpret: too fat to be a Pro; big slow oaf on A rides; just average on a mountain bike.

I look on the chart for the size of: "Oompa loompa doompety doo, I've got a perfect outfit for you, Oompa loompa doompety dee, If you are wise you'll pick this size."
Old 01-26-21, 01:49 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I look on the chart for the size of: "Oompa loompa doompety doo, I've got a perfect outfit for you, Oompa loompa doompety dee, If you are wise you'll pick this size."
Thats catchy. I usually pick “I wish I was faster, taller, handsome and rich” and it never seems to fit me.
Old 01-26-21, 02:15 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Thats catchy. I usually pick “I wish I was faster, taller, handsome and rich” and it never seems to fit me.
If ya can't beat them, gain on them... with the donuts, beer, pizza, peanut butter, figs, pasta, mayo, ranch, & bbq
Old 01-26-21, 02:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
These shoes are the same size as my previous Shimano shoes and fit just as well. I’m not Asian/Japanese. Must be you.

You must have a screw loose.
Old 01-26-21, 03:03 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
^^^^ CATastrophic thread derail
Old 01-26-21, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
You must have a screw loose.
Explain.
Old 01-26-21, 03:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have noticed that Italian and French clothing companies make small clothing too. The residents of those countries are catching up to us USians in size

The French company that made the jerseys for Paris Brest Paris thinks I'm an XXXL. I usually buy Voler's large.
Old 01-26-21, 03:46 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
First Pearl Izumi products seen at retail in US were about 1984. It was a Japanese company. Everything made in Tokyo. Quality was astonishing. You would still occasionally see Vittore Gianni in stores then, even though that company had long since sold to Castelli. Pearl was many levels above Gianni, as Gianni was a level above Castelli.

Connie Carpenter and Davis Phinney bought the brand and turned it into a commodity.
Old 01-26-21, 03:47 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Explain.
There's a screw on the ground between your right shoe and the cat....at least I hope that's what he was referring to.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 01-26-21, 04:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
There's a screw on the ground between your right shoe and the cat....at least I hope that's what he was referring to.
Heh. Haven’t looked at the photo on a big screen in a while. There’s a contracting business that shares the driveway with the bathhouses/bunkhouse where the photo was taken, which is Rockwood, PA on the GAS trail.
Old 01-26-21, 05:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I have only had 2-3 pieces of PI kit but they all fit bigger than any other brand I've owned, which I find very odd. I have a long sleeve lightweight jersey in medium that is bigger than any large jersey I've ever owned. Same with a short sleeve jersey I was given several years ago.
Old 01-26-21, 10:05 PM
Troul 

Heh. Haven’t looked at the photo on a big screen in a while. There’s a contracting business that shares the driveway with the bathhouses/bunkhouse where the photo was taken, which is Rockwood, PA on the GAS trail.
meow they sees it.
Old 01-27-21, 02:25 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I am off the top of the European scale for chest size, and have been since I was 5% BF in high school. Unless you're 5'6" and 135-pounds, you're generally better served by 'Club' sizing.
Old 01-27-21, 09:54 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I'm 6'-0" and 180 lbs currently. I prefer a race fit and I found PI to be just as annoying to find the correct fit as any cycling clothing manufacturer.

Buy a couple of items, check them for size, then return the unwanted item. Even if a jersey or short in one line fits well, don't expect that you can buy that same size in every jersey or short from that company and it will fit the same.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 01-29-21, 06:26 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Weird choice of a brand to choose to make this point. The Pearl Izumi sold in the US I've purchased is far from Euro-tight even at the P.R.O. level. Also, I'd say Pearl Izumi is one of the more transparent and easy to understand brands around with their fit and sizing.

Regarding cycling clothes for Americans in general, I think part of the issue is In-n-Out lard butts. The other issue is that (potential snobbishness ahead) many American cyclists don't understand how cycling stuff is supposed to fit. Cycling stuff is supposed to be pretty damned tight and many American riders don't like that. This becomes more true the newer a buyer is to cycling. As a result, more mainstream brands like Pearl Izumi are generally a little less tight fitting, especially at the lower end. The majority of mid-priced American brands like Voler also are a bit floppy. Meanwhile enthusiast American brands (Eliel and Ornot or the various American custom kit makers like Hincapie or Starlight) are much more traditional (tighter) fitting because they're selling to people who want that tighter fit..

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-29-21 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 01-29-21, 09:11 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Weird choice of a brand to choose to make this point. The Pearl Izumi sold in the US I've purchased is far from Euro-tight even at the P.R.O. level. Also, I'd say Pearl Izumi is one of the more transparent and easy to understand brands around with their fit and sizing.

Regarding cycling clothes for Americans in general, I think part of the issue is In-n-Out lard butts. The other issue is that (potential snobbishness ahead) many American cyclists don't understand how cycling stuff is supposed to fit. Cycling stuff is supposed to be pretty damned tight and many American riders don't like that. This becomes more true the newer a buyer is to cycling. As a result, more mainstream brands like Pearl Izumi are generally a little less tight fitting, especially at the lower end. The majority of mid-priced American brands like Voler also are a bit floppy. Meanwhile enthusiast American brands (Eliel and Ornot or the various American custom kit makers like Hincapie or Starlight) are much more traditional (tighter) fitting because they're selling to people who want that tighter fit..
to a point your opinion makes sense.
Most of the time, the tighter attire have seams that will interfere with circulation points when trying to find a taller fitting outfit. I'd rather it have more give and fit better in length than wear a midget fitted combo. Ever have tanned wrists, lower back, and ankles with no other matching areas?
Old 01-29-21, 10:16 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

This post is pretty much straight up.

I love a tight race fit and not a lot of people are comfortable that way. PI is easier to figure stuff out than, say Castelli (which I love), or other european companies. For me, even though PI is more geared to a US fit, it still involves buying something, seeing how it fits, and returning or keeping it depending on how lucky I got.
Old 01-29-21, 10:37 PM
James1964 

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
PI was founded in Japan. I still have a pair of their wool winter tights that were made in Japan.
Old 01-30-21, 03:19 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I love a tight race fit and not a lot of people are comfortable that way. PI is easier to figure stuff out than, say Castelli (which I love), or other european companies.
Agreed. I want a race fit that's designed to stay flat when you're in a riding position. I'm not particularly skinny (5'10", 165) and buy medium clothes. Mediums from Sportful, Giordana, Castelli, MAAP, Rapha etc all fit me very well and yet every review I read for these brands online is: "much too small, order two sizes up!". Meanwhile I buy a medium jersey from Voler and the front of the jersey is four inches too long, it's flapping in the wind and the whole thing is seemingly sized for someone who's 6'4" 220. I think people just like that "club fit".

For me, even though PI is more geared to a US fit, it still involves buying something, seeing how it fits, and returning or keeping it depending on how lucky I got.
This is what I hate about cycling clothing: you really need to ride in something for a couple hundred miles before you know if it's going to work. Once I find something I like, I tend to buy five copies of that same thing because it's not worth messing around with other options. It reminds me of running shoes: one you get something that works for you, stick with it.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 01-30-21, 04:01 PM
James1964 

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Cycling clothing sizing

I go by the mfg (Castelli, Sportful, and Vermarc) size charts. It's not made to walk around in, but feels great when riding.