Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2021 Specialized Roubaix or Specialized Diverge

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 12:46 PM
DaveBuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to be an Avid Tennis player but tore my Rotator Cuff. Recently I have been starting to get into riding. I go 50-80 miles per week at 15-17 MPH. I would like to go a little faster but I doubt I will ever ride 100 miles per week It is primarily street riding but the roads are not smooth and I hate bouncing around on the road. I tried the Roubaix this summer when I was in Utah and LOVED IT! I live in Florida where it is FLAT so there is also a good opportunity to gravel ride next to the levees by the everglades. It is hard to say how much gravel riding I will do but I want to get a bike which will allow me the opportunity to ride gravel. I have been looking at the Specialized Roubaix and Diverge. I recently purchased some carbon wheels (still waiting for them) as sometimes it is a little difficult to keep up with the 3 people I regularly ride with. My existing bike is a Cannondale Quick Carbon with horizontal Bars.

I was thinking if I get the Diverge, I can switch out the wheels with the 38mm Tire to Carbon wheels with 25mm or 28mm Contis when I ride on roads, or I can put 32mm on the Roubaix Wheels when I ride gravel. My question is HOW MUCH FASTER is the Roubaix when compared to the Diverge when fitted with Carbon Wheels. Or am I better off with using 38mm on the Diverge when I ride Gravel and just use the Carbon Wheels for Roads

Thx
Old 01-31-21, 12:59 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
If you're riding primarily road, go with the Roubaix.
Old 01-31-21, 01:09 PM
DaveBuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how will the Roubaix hold up on Gravel?
Old 01-31-21, 01:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveBuck
I used to be an Avid Tennis player but tore my Rotator Cuff. Recently I have been starting to get into riding. I go 50-80 miles per week at 15-17 MPH. I would like to go a little faster but I doubt I will ever ride 100 miles per week It is primarily street riding but the roads are not smooth and I hate bouncing around on the road. I tried the Roubaix this summer when I was in Utah and LOVED IT! I live in Florida where it is FLAT so there is also a good opportunity to gravel ride next to the levees by the everglades. It is hard to say how much gravel riding I will do but I want to get a bike which will allow me the opportunity to ride gravel. I have been looking at the Specialized Roubaix and Diverge. I recently purchased some carbon wheels (still waiting for them) as sometimes it is a little difficult to keep up with the 3 people I regularly ride with. My existing bike is a Cannondale Quick Carbon with horizontal Bars.

I was thinking if I get the Diverge, I can switch out the wheels with the 38mm Tire to Carbon wheels with 25mm or 28mm Contis when I ride on roads, or I can put 32mm on the Roubaix Wheels when I ride gravel. My question is HOW MUCH FASTER is the Roubaix when compared to the Diverge when fitted with Carbon Wheels. Or am I better off with using 38mm on the Diverge when I ride Gravel and just use the Carbon Wheels for Roads

Thx
I have both but if need to choose one I would take the Diverge. The real difference in speed is the position on the bike not the bike or components. A very supple 37mm tire such as a Rene Herse would be virtually the same rolling resistance as a 28 so no need for two sets of wheels. My Diverge is set up for long distance multi day adventure riding compared to my Roubaix which is my regular ride.
Old 01-31-21, 01:23 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The capacity to use wider wheels, say 35mm or so, makes for a more versatile bike that will handle gravel and lose littile on the road. Alternately having two sets of wheels, road wheels and gravel wheels is even more versatile.
Old 01-31-21, 01:50 PM
DaveBuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is my thinking! I will have 2 sets of wheels. Carbon 50/60 and DT Swiss.
Bottom line is how much difference is there riding roads which are not perfect between 2021 Roubaix Comp with Carbon Wheels and the 2021 Diverge Comp with Carbon Wheels.
There is not a lot of gravel roads by me but I definitely want to give them a try.
Old 01-31-21, 01:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Alternately having two sets of wheels, road wheels and gravel wheels is even more versatile.
Totally understand this approach, but i can't see doing it myself.
I would rather spend $2k per bike for a road bike and gravel bike rather than spend $4k for a gravel bike with extra road wheels, tires, and cassette.

I know I wouldn't swap out wheels each time and would just end up choosing routes based on what I had on the bike at the time, then mostly just leaving the gravel tires on and using them for all riding.
Lazy, I know.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-31-21, 08:18 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My only bike is a Diverge, which I ride mostly on pavement and occasionally gravel (or worse). I have one set of wheels with 700x38 tires and they seem very good on pavement. I've wondered how much faster a Roubaix would be too (thinking about getting a second bike), but I mostly ride by myself so going a little faster isn't an issue. The Diverge is comfortable and handles well on pavement and off. It's a good road bike that's going to be better at handling rougher conditions than a Roubaix.
Old 02-02-21, 01:51 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
. ... I want to get a bike which will allow me the opportunity to ride gravel... I recently purchased some carbon wheels (still waiting for them) as sometimes it is a little difficult to keep up with the 3 people I regularly ride with. My existing bike is a Cannondale Quick Carbon with horizontal Bars.

My question is HOW MUCH FASTER is the Roubaix when compared to the Diverge when fitted with Carbon Wheels. Or am I better off with using 38mm on the Diverge when I ride Gravel and just use the Carbon Wheels for Roads
A Roubaix has One-day Classic pedigree, namely Paris Roubaix. So it is “fast”, comfortable, and can handle rough conditions. I have an older model, with traditional laced alloy wheels, and 25mm tires. I looked into the Diverge for bike packing, and to double as a hybrid, but went with a traditional touring bike from Salsa.
Old 02-02-21, 03:21 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
................................. I go 50-80 miles per week at 15-17 MPH. I would like to go a little faster but I doubt I will ever ride 100 miles per week It is primarily street riding but the roads are not smooth and I hate bouncing around on the road..........................................I live in Florida where it is FLAT so there is also a good opportunity to gravel ride next to the levees by the everglades............................... I have been looking at the Specialized Roubaix and Diverge....................................

Thx
Live in SE FL??? I live in SW FL, am a 70yo geezer, hopped on my 2018 Roubaix on Sunday for a 105 mile road ride and if your situation I'd go for the Diverge. Don't think there would be a major speed advantage for the limited riding you will be doing if you go for the Roubaix. ENJOY which ever way you go.
Old 02-02-21, 03:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
.. oops
Old 02-02-21, 12:38 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
With the shortage on bikes, I hope you can be patient because your wait for either bike could be months.