Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus Shimano 3 speed adjustmen

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nexus Shimano 3 speed adjustmen

Old 03-01-21, 01:23 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nexus Shimano 3 speed adjustment

I have what looks like a Chinese made Nexus 3 speed hub, with a grip shifter. The first gear on the shifter (handle bar end) has some kind of Chinese (possibly Japanese?) signs, and the other two have regular numbers 2 and 3. It has a bell-crank type shifter mechanism on the hub end; a push in - release type rod. The hub end shifter has a plastic cap that comes off; the cable end slides into a groove on a hinged metal part, and there is a hole there that probably has something to do with the adjustment. It is not the click-box with a yellow adjustment line, neither the old 3CC type. Has anyone had a Nexus 3 speed like this? I can`t find any info on this model.
Old 03-01-21, 02:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-01-21, 02:56 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey2
I have what looks like a Chinese made Nexus 3 speed hub, with a grip shifter. The first gear on the shifter (handle bar end) has some kind of Chinese (possibly Japanese?) signs, and the other two have regular numbers 2 and 3. It has a bell-crank type shifter mechanism on the hub end; a push in - release type rod. The hub end shifter has a plastic cap that comes off; the cable end slides into a groove on a hinged metal part, and there is a hole there that probably has something to do with the adjustment. It is not the click-box with a yellow adjustment line, neither the old 3CC type. Has anyone had a Nexus 3 speed like this? I can`t find any info on this model.
Yeah there should be a circle etched on the bell crank that should be visible and lined up exactly through the hole when the shifter is in 2nd. There may be an N or some other character within the circle.
Old 03-01-21, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Yeah lets see some pictures because I don't believe Shimano makes Nexus hubs in China but it is possible.
Old 03-01-21, 09:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Do what we use to to when a SA equipped bike had the wrong indicator chain. Using the cable adjuster find the range of cable "tension" for 2nd gear. As in any looser and 3rd engages and any tighter and 1st engages. The set the adjuster half way through this range. Andy