Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trying to ID a bike frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-23-21, 05:42 PM
artdecodon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am trying to ID a bike frame. I'd like to build it but don't want to waste my time and $$ on something that is not good.

Ser # is H941100238

Any help is appreciated.

ArtDecoDon
Old 02-23-21, 06:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
That's it? A number but not even a manufacturer? Good Luck.
Old 02-23-21, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by artdecodon
WTF is pretty harsh....after spending a few hours on the net and hitting brick walls looks like hit another asking this 'forum of arrogant morons' for help. Can't wait to cancel from this forum.

Idiot
Awesome, great. Thanks see ya. You literally came here and posted a letter and some numbers with no other information and expect us to pull a bike out of our behinds? What were you expecting? Zero pictures or even any identifying info on the bike so yeah I was a bit harsh but surely you didn't think "well random letter and numbers will be all I need to extract information" It is like saying can you finish this puzzle and most of the pieces are missing.

We are generally quite helpful when you give information but when you come at us with nothing we can't really do much. If you keep the lights off you are more likely to hit brick walls because you cannot see either. Turn on a light once and a while and you might get somewhere.

Have an excellent day though and thanks for stopping in and hope one day you find out what those random letters and numbers mean. I would be curious too. Maybe they lead to Narnia or the lost city of Atlantis
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-23-21, 08:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
I googled it for you, no hits. Sorry.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-23-21, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by artdecodon
It was all I had....just trying. Luck is what you make of it....bozo.
As far as having no other info...how do you have zero other info. Where did you find that random collection of letters and numbers if not attached to some pictures or some info on it. Surely someone didn't actually post on Craigslist bike R15456465515 and leave it at that? Surely you can't be serious? (I am serious and don't call me Shirley)

Last edited by Hermes; 03-02-21 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Removed reference to insult
Old 02-23-21, 08:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
Post a pic in Gallery.
Old 03-01-21, 09:37 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I'm guessing the OP is part of the millennial crowd or perhaps even younger AND is very new to the world of bicycles. These individuals, growing up in the age of the internet and having access to nearly everything ever recorded, have come to expect (and many times receive) instant gratification RE: requests for information via the internet. The fact that a great deal of information is available via this route only bolsters these expectations. As the world moves closer and closer to Artificial Intelligence, I'm quite sure that there'll come a time when requests such as those of the OP will result in a specific result. The AI entity will "scan" T-mar's catalog collection, manufacturing data, sales data, police records, the list goes on, to determine specific information about an item. TBCH, it's kinda scarry!
I'll admit to trying to find information on an item by "googling" a tiny tidbit of info i.e. an alpha/numeric code, serial #, etc. On occasion, I've been lucky but most often not. I have stopped short of going the route of the OP but to be sure, the temptation has been there.
I don't know how other active forum members approach posts but one of the first things that I look at is the "post count" of the OP. If it's less than ten, I temper my thoughts and how to possibly reply on the topic. With less than 300 posts, I hardly consider myself an expert but I do have varying degrees of knowledge and just may be able to "add" to the thread. Conversely, having thousands of posts under your belt doesn't automatically confer guru status. Sometimes it just means you need to "una$$" your chair!
It's my hope that the OP reconsiders the "threat" of leaving and never coming back. While the reply that prompted that action might have been a bit terse, the OP's sensitivity needs to be dialed back. Just sayin'.
Old 03-01-21, 11:24 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I recognize that number immediately -

that frame is a Pinarello 'Prince' from 2015.
Or it might be a Trek 800 from 1995
Or it might be a 1999 Huffy Diesel BMX.
Or somewhere in between those.

I know asking for details is taken as an insult by the OP so I will just give vague and likely inaccurate answers.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-01-21, 01:01 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by sovende
I'm guessing the OP is part of the millennial crowd ...
I'm gonna cut you off. This is not an age or generational thing. I was working in bike shops before the Millennials were born and there has always been a subset of people fixated on minor details such that they are missing the larger picture. Or people who are offended that such info is not easier to obtain, or even not tabulated in an easy-to-read chart. You can get a service manual for your 1982 Chevy Capris, so why can't I get the same thing for a 2019 Trek full suspension bike, is their argument. And they're not entirely wrong, but miss the fact that bikes are modular assemblies and you need only be familiar with the standards for fitting parts, not the details of the specific parts. You can't fit the tail light assembly from a 2010 Honda Civic onto a 2019 VW Jetta, but you can put the derailleur from a 2010 Trek 820 onto a 2019 Pinarello Dogma.
Old 03-01-21, 01:26 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I'm gonna cut you off. This is not an age or generational thing. I was working in bike shops before the Millennials were born and there has always been a subset of people fixated on minor details such that they are missing the larger picture. Or people who are offended that such info is not easier to obtain, or even not tabulated in an easy-to-read chart. You can get a service manual for your 1982 Chevy Capris, so why can't I get the same thing for a 2019 Trek full suspension bike, is their argument. And they're not entirely wrong, but miss the fact that bikes are modular assemblies and you need only be familiar with the standards for fitting parts, not the details of the specific parts. You can't fit the tail light assembly from a 2010 Honda Civic onto a 2019 VW Jetta, but you can put the derailleur from a 2010 Trek 820 onto a 2019 Pinarello Dogma.
True! But that subset is so much larger than it was BITD ("back in the day" for the pre-millennials)
Old 03-01-21, 02:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
OP obviously believes we're a bunch of gurus sitting on mountaintops, just waiting for the next soul to come along seeking enlightenment. OP, don't worry about unsubscribing, name-calling will get you banned.
Old 03-01-21, 03:19 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I googled it for you, no hits. Sorry.
There's your problem - I used Bing and got immediate description of the make, model, year, and frame size. All details were incorrect, but, hey... it's Bing... whattayagonnado?
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-01-21, 04:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
We closed the thread for moderation review. OP is not able to post pics or links until he has 10 posts.
Old 03-02-21, 07:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
The thread is open.