Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crankset help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crankset help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 02:28 AM
Sam0787

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankset help

So I have this nice GT crank set that has a spindle with 10t. So it’s 100% not a 22mm but when I try to put it through my 19mm bearings it stops at this point where it has this small rise where the teeth end. The lift makes it very tight when trying to put it through, am I being too gentle or should it be this hard to get it through? Not sure if anyone knows this crank set or is there a different size I need for the bearings?
Old 03-03-21, 05:00 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums.

I certainly do not want to seem negative, but I cannot really understand the problem. Is the GT crank a BMX component? I have no idea what a spindle with 10t means. Perhaps some pictures or a better explanation would be most helpful. At this point and with the information provided, the only advice I can offer is do not force the piece to fit. My experience with anything mechanical is that if it has to be forced, you are doing something wrong.

You can upload pictures to your album and then display them for us. Or, you can achieve ten posts, spread over two day, and then you can post pictures direct to your thread. These rules or requirements are a pain in every newcomer's butt but the requirements do help to prevent spammers, or so I am told.
Old 03-03-21, 09:03 AM
Sam0787

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankset help

It won’t let me share photos yet, but they are in my album. I just mentioned what I could to see if maybe it’s some kind of different set. So it 19mm doesn’t fit and 22mm is obviously too big, is there anything in between for bearings?
Old 03-03-21, 09:32 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
Pic assist:

Not a crank / bottom bracket system I am familiar with - looks BMX-ish to me.
It appears that the bearing would mount onto the spindle down below the notched area - if you can confirm the OD of the spindle there and the ID of the bearing, you may confirm that its a no go.

Last edited by CO_Hoya; 03-03-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 09:41 AM
Sam0787

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help on the pics and yes it’s for my gt dyno bmx bike. I’ll be sure to try and measure that middle diameter but in any case are there bearings for something bigger than 19mm yet smaller than 22mm? The spindle slides in from the end but that notch stops it right there and if I try to install from the inside part or the bearing it doesn’t go out enough for the cranks to be installed
Old 03-03-21, 02:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Since that crank has pinch bolts, could it be that the crank doesn't need to bottom out on the spindle but rather just lightly bottom out on the bearings or on spacers to the outside of the bearings?

That's the way that Shimano's and other's cranks are fitted these days.

The bolt into the spindle suggests that it's to overcome some degree of interference fit while pushing the arms in toward the bearings, but I'm not sure if that bolt gets heavily torqued, probably not(?).
Old 03-03-21, 02:55 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam0787
It won’t let me share photos yet, but they are in my album. I just mentioned what I could to see if maybe it’s some kind of different set. So it 19mm doesn’t fit and 22mm is obviously too big, is there anything in between for bearings?
It sounds like it's a hollow spindle with external bearings. The 19 mm opening for external bb is foreign to me. I use 24mm spindles on Hollowtech type designs, for road primarily...