Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo/Fulcrum Rear Hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 10:28 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

I just fussed with an 8 speed Chorus rear hub, gingerly removing the freehub and its individual 3 pawls and springs. Fortunately, I found all 3 sets on the floor and was able to use the Campagnolo Pawl retention tool to reinsert the freehub successfully.

For those of you familiar with both the pawls/springs on a Campy 8 speed hub and on the newer 9-12 speed Campy and Fulcrum hubs, I have a question. It seems that they changed the nominal pawl retention by adding a circular ring that holds all pawls in place simultaneously. If my understanding is correct, does this mean that I will not need to use the Campagnolo tool and can worry less about dropping the pawls and springs when removing these newer freehubs? Finally, are newer Shimano freehubs this way also, i.e., they can be removed without so much worry about pawls and springs flying away?

As I said, I've done that 8 speed Campy hubs overhaul, but now I have a 9 speed Chorus hub from 2000 to overhaul and some new Fulcrum hubs with Shimano freehubs.
Old 02-25-21, 11:30 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I just fussed with an 8 speed Chorus rear hub, gingerly removing the freehub and its individual 3 pawls and springs. Fortunately, I found all 3 sets on the floor and was able to use the Campagnolo Pawl retention tool to reinsert the freehub successfully.

For those of you familiar with both the pawls/springs on a Campy 8 speed hub and on the newer 9-12 speed Campy and Fulcrum hubs, I have a question. It seems that they changed the nominal pawl retention by adding a circular ring that holds all pawls in place simultaneously. If my understanding is correct, does this mean that I will not need to use the Campagnolo tool and can worry less about dropping the pawls and springs when removing these newer freehubs? Finally, are newer Shimano freehubs this way also, i.e., they can be removed without so much worry about pawls and springs flying away?

As I said, I've done that 8 speed Campy hubs overhaul, but now I have a 9 speed Chorus hub from 2000 to overhaul and some new Fulcrum hubs with Shimano freehubs.
Shimano freehub bodies parts are internal and usually not serviceable. They can be taken apart, but there are no parts except for the bearings available.
Old 02-25-21, 12:04 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by davidad
Shimano freehub bodies parts are internal and usually not serviceable. They can be taken apart, but there are no parts except for the bearings available.
I'm not speaking of disassembling the freehub body, I am merely speaking of removing the freehub from the hub cavity to service the hub bearings. What happens to the "business end" of these freehubs when they are pulled away from the hub? Pulling the 8 speed Campagnolo freehub is a nightmare as you have to make sure the pawls and springs don't bounce away.
Old 02-25-21, 12:23 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
The circular spring holds the pawls in. Nothing flies out. You can reassemble it without the pawl retention tool. I've done it by pushing each pawl in with a small screwdriver while pressing the freehub body onto the hub.
Old 02-25-21, 12:27 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by gearbasher
The circular spring holds the pawls in. Nothing flies out. You can reassemble it without the pawl retention tool. I've done it by pushing each pawl in with a small screwdriver while pressing the freehub body onto the hub.
That's what I was hoping they had addressed with the more recent freehubs. I suppose if needed the circular spring can be replaced as well as pawls, but I cannot envision it being necessary unless there is a pawl failure. Also assume Fulcrum hubs with Shimano splined freehubs are built the same?
Old 02-25-21, 12:29 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
I can't tell you about the Shimano freehub bodies. I've only worked with the Campy ones.
Old 02-25-21, 12:43 PM
gkamieneski

Thanks. I was actually talking additionally about Fulcrum hubs (made by Campy) with freehubs splined for Shimano cassettes. I'm pretty sure those will be built similarly with the one circular ring spring.

It's great news to know that I won't be dedicated 3 fingers to each holding in a loose pawl and spring to the freehub such as I had to with the Campagnolo 8 speed!
Old 02-25-21, 05:42 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
That's what I was hoping they had addressed with the more recent freehubs. I suppose if needed the circular spring can be replaced as well as pawls, but I cannot envision it being necessary unless there is a pawl failure. Also assume Fulcrum hubs with Shimano splined freehubs are built the same?
Yes, the Shimano splined freehubs use the same pawls and spring as the Campagnolo splined freehubs.
Old 02-26-21, 09:05 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I'm not speaking of disassembling the freehub body, I am merely speaking of removing the freehub from the hub cavity to service the hub bearings. What happens to the "business end" of these freehubs when they are pulled away from the hub? Pulling the 8 speed Campagnolo freehub is a nightmare as you have to make sure the pawls and springs don't bounce away.
My mistake. I think you are converting a Campy freehub to a Shimano style so you can use their cassettes, right? If so then the came care is required.
Old 02-26-21, 09:17 AM
gkamieneski

Actually, as it turns out, all of my freehubs are Campy/Fulcrum, so I think I answered my own question. The Fulcrum ones have splines to carry Shimano cassettes, but I am sure their pawl/spring mechanics are Campy.
Old 02-26-21, 10:26 PM
gkamieneski

Just broke open my 9 speed Chorus hub and found grinding with the free hub bearings. Sadly, I have learned that the FH-CH215 free hub body is no longer made, with no replacement.

Looks like I will need to be popping out those 2 sealed units. Anyone know what number bearings are used?
Old 02-26-21, 11:00 PM
RGMN

You can use freehub body FH-BUU015 but you have to change the axle to the cutout version FH-BO001. FH-CH215 is on the left, FH-BUU015 is on the right

Last edited by RGMN; 03-02-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-27-21, 11:08 AM
gkamieneski

Thanks, RGMN. That confirms what I was thinking. My first step will be to try and replace the sealed bearing units. If that is expensive, I will have to look at the newer designed free hub + axle.
Old 02-27-21, 03:32 PM
gkamieneski

I found the axle I will need. Looks like everything will cost me just under $200. That's a lot. Wonder if I would need additional hardware, like new endcaps?
Old 02-27-21, 05:22 PM
RGMN

You should only need the axle. All the other parts come off the old axle.

I found in my notes that the freehub bearings are 6803 2RS, 2 needed. The outer bearing needs to be pushed out, then remove the circlip to remove the inner bearing. I've never done it myself but I recall people saying it was pretty easy to do.
Old 02-27-21, 05:25 PM
gkamieneski

One thing I'm hearing though is that the circlip on the older version freehub does not have the spots for the circlip pliers the way the newer versions do. I guess it can be almost impossible to remove on the old axle version.
Old 02-28-21, 01:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
It's not worth $200 to salvage an old wheel. Time to look into some new wheels. Campy and Fulcrum both have some low priced models with cartidge bearings, but the better ones with cup and cone bearings start at the Zonda and Racing 3.
Old 02-28-21, 05:46 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
It's not worth $200 to salvage an old wheel. Time to look into some new wheels. Campy and Fulcrum both have some low priced models with cartidge bearings, but the better ones with cup and cone bearings start at the Zonda and Racing 3.
These Chorus hubs are cup and cone, 32h laced 3x to Sun Assault rims. They are definitely worth the effort.
Old 03-01-21, 10:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=581
Old 03-01-21, 10:28 AM
gkamieneski

Great price, Dave. Thanks.

This wheelset goes with a vintage Pinarello Gavia TSX. Going to want to stick with the matching silver Chorus hubs.
Old 03-01-21, 03:31 PM
RGMN

Get the Record hubs and pull the freehub and cutout axle from it. They will work on your Chorus hub. (That's how I got my cutout axle and freehub. And a new set of bearings & cone for it.)
Old 03-01-21, 03:43 PM
gkamieneski

That''s a worthwhile idea. Although I just lifted up the seal of the outbound bearing and its innards came off in my hands. It looked really shot, but the inbound bearing is very smooth and still well lubricated so I ordered some 6803-2rs bearings and I will press in one for the oubound bearing.
Old 03-03-21, 05:39 PM
gkamieneski

Pressing in a new outboard sealed bearing did the trick. Now the freehub spins smoothly without noise. $6 + 20 minutes and I have a spare should my Fulcrum wheels need it.

Thanks, all.
Old 03-04-21, 11:05 AM
gkamieneski

Needed the spare sooner than I thought. Just pulled the freehub from another Fulcrum Racing 5 and the outboard sealed bearing was shot here as well. This hubset is relatively new and I wouldn't have expected this. Wheel bearings and inboard freehub bearing are perfect.

Almost looks like a design flaw or the outboard bearing just isn't protected enough.