Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Are bike fitting services done by shops "accurate?"

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Are bike fitting services done by shops "accurate?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 11:39 PM
JGAN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Are bike fitting services done by shops "accurate?"

I have been experiencing some knee pains since switching my cleats and I want to get a fit done again before my next century in a couple weeks. The one time I had a fit done, I simply scheduled an appointment with the store and the owner/mechanic simply put me on a trainer, measured a few things, and had me try different sizes for stuff. While I didn't end up with any injuries from it, I know for a fact that the owner isn't exactly a physical therapist or have any kinesiology background/education.

I'm worried that all these computer-aided and laser-guided bike fit programs don't really take into account each specific rider, instead just basing it off a few numbers and measurements. Is there a better place to get a bike fit done besides a shop? Are shops really "qualified" to provide expertise on the biomechanics of our bodies; how they move and work? If it makes a difference, the shops in my area offer either a "Retul certified" and "Body Geometry fit," is one necessarily better -- or even accurate?
Old 06-06-15, 07:44 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Which "fit system" a fitter uses means nothing. Its the skill of the fitter. Since everyone is different, I think fit is much more an "art" than a "science." Systems are starting point, but good fitters know when typical fits don't quite work for an individual. I've had 4 fittings done . . . with 4 different results. (I'm talking differences in seat and bar positions of 4 - 5 CM!!! (Yes, cm, NOT mm!) I didn't find any of the fittings particularly comfortable or efficient. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing if a certain fitter or the system he uses will jive with your body, riding style, etc. You should get a fitting, but if after "getting use to" the fit you still have comfort issues, then you'll know the fits not quite right.
Old 06-06-15, 10:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME the Retul fit is more likely to be accurate. That fit system captures one's body position during pedaling, rather than statically. The fitter is the most important ingredient, however. I only had one fit done ever, and that was when I was buying a bike. The fitter wasn't even a fitter, just a bike shop guy who knew what he was doing. He changed how I ride a bike permanently by putting me in the correct position. I was instantly comfortable and now I can do all my own fitting because I know what it's supposed to look and feel like.

If I'm ever uncomfortable or develop "issues", I know that my position is correct and that what's wrong is me. So I correct my physical problems so that I can ride my correct fit comfortably. So there's two sides to it: There's a correct fit and a body that can develop power in that position for long periods. IMO the fit comes first, then figure out how to get your body to ride strong in that position.
Old 06-06-15, 10:29 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends. I had two done by shops which (based on what I know now) were roughly ballpark. If you have an average, no unique physical quirks, they can be fine. My right leg angles outward at the hip; it caused pain in my inside right knee. I tried everything from angling the clip to pedal spacers. I finally located a gent in the DC area who fits triathletes. Our first session he identified the knee out circular motion from a video he made on his tablet and put in a wedge in my right shoe, charged nothing and said we wouldn't go any farther until I was pain free. He also loaned me a stem to make sure it worked and gave a free 6 month follow up after the fitting. You don't normally get that treatment from a LBS.

Rich
Old 06-06-15, 11:59 AM
bing181
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I recently had a Retul fit - this after having had an Ergomotion fit a few years earlier. Ergomotion is a Swiss system, that puts you on a kind of test bike, connected to a computer which measures - amongst other things - power output, also, power output across the stroke etc. etc.

The Ergomotion fit was fabulous, because it identified a leg length discrepancy - that I kind of knew about - and with shimming etc., sorted out a comfortable, efficient position. But the Retul fit took it a stage further, by giving me a much better fit fore/aft (based on their criteria). Where I'm sitting kind of breaks all the rules if I follow the online guides, but is very comfortable and works well.

FWIW, both fit systems/fitters gave me EXACTLY the same seat height - though it's a height nearly 2 cm above what the common and garden fits based on body measurement give.

I'd go with Retul myself - but as above, the fitter makes all the difference. Perhaps though, less of a difference with Retul because of the way it works.

My 2c.