Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shifting problem

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 02:42 PM
ColdDigital

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting problem

Hi all,

I have a problem with my mountain bike, it doesnt shift correctly. I have the bike since last August 2014.
So today I went downhill biking and almost crashed into a parked car, obviously I did a full break and luckily didnt hit it. Before that I was about to shift gears, but didnt make it to shift since I did the full break. I stopped and started pedaling again. Something was weird though, for some reason the rear gear (back gear) when I shift it has a delay, meaning if I went from the 3rd to the 4th it took a while to shift. I also noticed that when I shifted, the front derailleur had a stutter and then after only let me speed up. Basically when I shift the rear gear there is a short paus until it actually goes into the correct gear, and while that shifts the front pedals stutter or have a pause. Could someone please tell me whats wrong and what a fix could be?
Thanks
Old 07-03-15, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Post some more details of your type of bike, shifters, derailleurs, and number of gears.

Most MTBs have some kind of an indexed shifter. If it shifts one way fine, but not the other way, try adjusting the adjuster where the cable comes out of the back of the derailleur, especially if the chain is chattering a bit.

Make sure the "stops" are adjusted so that the chain doesn't fall off the inside or outside of the cassette.

The upper jockey wheel usually has a bushing and a bit of side to side floating movement which helps with centering, but too much float can degrade shifting. And, of course, extra flex in the entire derailleur.

The B-Screw on the derailleur should also be adjusted so that the jockey wheels are as close to the cassette as possible (in the larger sprockets) without rubbing.
Old 07-03-15, 04:03 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
There are tons of videos on youtube that show you how to adjust derailleurs.
Old 07-04-15, 07:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any marks on the RD? bent dropout eyelets cause problems, get its alignment checked (bike shop has the tool)
Old 07-04-15, 11:50 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Dirty chain,
Stretched chain,
Shifter cables need cleaning and lube ? Or do you need new ones ?

New bike, cables are stretching In,
If all is clean and bike is just at four or five rides the barrel adjusters on the shifter ends can take up slack giving you back precise shifts.
Counter clockwise a few clicks at a time while you shift and ride should make a change.
Remember, only one or two clicks one way then ride a while..