Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Geros old bike help needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 03:26 AM
Charlsouma

Bikes: Alpina, Le Jeune, Hansom, Daccordi, Pinarello Catena, BRH, GEROS, Vitus 979, Zini, ALAN Record Carbonio, Peter Allan, Peugeot Executive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all , I have a steel frame no fork that I'm trying to identify the origins of . I've heard of a team called Geros in another forum where the said bike was bought from Hungary to be converted to a fixie.
Any leads you may have for me would be appreciated? Thanks
Old 03-17-20, 03:28 AM
Charlsouma

Bikes: Alpina, Le Jeune, Hansom, Daccordi, Pinarello Catena, BRH, GEROS, Vitus 979, Zini, ALAN Record Carbonio, Peter Allan, Peugeot Executive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't add images/urls it seems until I have ten posts so I'm adding some more details here
Old 03-17-20, 04:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Why don't you introduce yourself in the introduction section that will help you get to 10.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-17-20, 06:12 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Could that be Gios?
Old 03-17-20, 06:14 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject frame was manufactured by Scapin of Italy. It has two of their distinctive features, the three circles embosses in the lugs and the heavy embossed line around the stay caps. Scapin are one of the most under rated Italiann manufacturers. My all time favourite frame was a 1974 Scapin. Based on the presence of a front derailleur hanger but the lack of dual bottle bosses, it is likely circa 1982-1984. A drive side photo may help. Picture assist...

Old 03-17-20, 06:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
For comparison, attached is a Scapin Airone, showing the three circles embossed in the lugs and embossed line around the stay caps. It also has the same internal rear derailleur cable routing, though unlike the OP's bicycle, the rear brake cable routing is internal. This example is reported to be from 1985.

Old 03-17-20, 10:58 AM
Charlsouma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject frame was manufactured by Scapin of Italy. It has two of their distinctive features, the three circles embosses in the lugs and the heavy embossed line around the stay caps. Scapin are one of the most under rated Italiann manufacturers. My all time favourite frame was a 1974 Scapin. Based on the presence of a front derailleur hanger but the lack of dual bottle bosses, it is likely circa 1982-1984. A drive side photo may help. Picture assist...
Thank you T-mar. I was hoping it was a Scapin, although only the lugs and dropouts were branded, and I wasn't sure I could rely on only those attributes. I have since found a scapin fork which I am still working out how to send across the pond to complete the frame. I love the Airone, wished that this frame also had internal brake routing after I noticed the gear cabling was internal. I was planning to build up this frame with a mix of campy and Shimano 600, but now that I know it's Italian I think I'll search for the rest of the campy parts to keep it matching. And now that I have some clear direction on its origins I can look for the decals. I saw a beautiful chromevelato Scapin, I think it may even be the Airone which you posted. The GEROS name has had me stumped for some time. There is a small bike outfit in Austria who appear to be the same bike company. radsportgeros and I would really like to know a little more about the name and the history of the frame before I remove the GEROS name. As I mentioned there was mention of a GEROS team, so maybe this frame was a branded for the team. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-17-20, 01:38 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Not sure if it’s related or not, but I have a Geros jersey:

Made in Italy.
Old 03-17-20, 09:29 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Great stuff, T-Mar!
Old 03-18-20, 01:55 AM
Charlsouma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice top P!N20! Any idea what it means? The closest I have come to finding a definition for GEROS is from Greek language meaning old or mature. There is also a reference to it meaning Thanks!
Old 03-18-20, 03:53 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlsouma
Nice top P!N20! Any idea what it means?
Thanks. Sorry, no idea.