Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 12:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
How do you explain an old lady with flowers and dogs zipping by me up a hill? bruh, itīs battery powered simple as that. Seeing is believing, not a generalization at all. I am glad older folks are out enjoying the ride.
maybe meth was at play? Did you catch the condition of there teeth?
Old 01-24-21, 03:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
How do you explain an old lady with flowers and dogs zipping by me up a hill? bruh, itīs battery powered simple as that. Seeing is believing, not a generalization at all. I am glad older folks are out enjoying the ride.
And so you turn around and do the exact thing that I cautioned against: Made a statement based on your frame of reference that appears to have only a single observation.

I wasn't there so perhaps it wasn't an e-bike at all, she was just faster than you. How old do you think she was anyhow?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-24-21, 09:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
And so you turn around and do the exact thing that I cautioned against: Made a statement based on your frame of reference that appears to have only a single observation.

I wasn't there so perhaps it wasn't an e-bike at all, she was just faster than you. How old do you think she was anyhow?
Cut off its food supply.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-24-21, 10:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Father is 88 and mother is 87 and neither are cyclists. Hey boomer, hope to make it to be an octogenarian too, but with cycling, may squeak it to 90.

Old 01-25-21, 08:27 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I think money and time are big factors - younger folk are more likely to be working physical jobs and anyone who has retired likely has lots of time. So I think it's mostly a case of boomers are more likely to be able to buy a bike and find the time to ride said bike than any other factors.

Most of the cyclists I see here are middle aged towards elderly men on leisure rides, but I'm quite rural. In the wider urban areas it's a much better mix.
I do see a few kids on MTBs occasionally though and bikes are still popular Christmas presents.

It could just be that it's hidden - you don't really see the boomers who don't move from their couch because they never move from the couch*, yet you see more millenials/X/Y's out and about but on busses or walking or whatever.

*Anecdotally, my boomer parents wouldn't walk to their car if they could avoid it, whereas I'd never dream of a short drive if it was avoidable.
Old 01-25-21, 12:50 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
The world's pension funds would prefer if the answer is no.
Old 01-26-21, 11:39 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Pretty much like every other generation that's ever been, those that pursue a healthy lifestyle will likely out live those that don't.Actuaries describe populations, not individual people.
Old 01-26-21, 01:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Most of the cyclists I see here are middle aged towards elderly men on leisure rides....
Another over-generalization, I think. At 76, I'm slow, so I may look like I'm on a leisurely ride, but my heart rate monitor says I work hard on the bike, nevertheless.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 02-01-21, 09:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No doubt that the baby boom generation will live longer, because they seem to be willing to exercise and stay active. OTOH, I have little hope for their kids or maybe grand kids. All they do is SET inside and poke buttons on their smart phones!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will end up with really strong thumbs, and their neck stuck in a downward slant.
Old 02-01-21, 10:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not sure about boomers overall, but access to health care and taking advantage of that care in the form of regular check-ups and screenings probably go a long way.

One other thing I have noticed that seems to impact the enjoyment, and perhaps longevity, of the retirement years; how much one’s life was defined by one’s employment. And some re-live former glory days of their youth.

I hear less of it these days, but when I was younger I recall older people talking about what they did or what company they worked for. When people define their lives, and perhaps their value by something they used to do, it is a slippery slope when that activity ends.

I think those that are active, in whatever they enjoy, are defining their lives by what they do. I’ve thought about a time when I can no longer continue my exercise based hobbies. I am hoping that when I can no longer put one foot in front of the other, literally, I will continue to look for something to do and not at something I did.

However, for the time being I’ll relish the moments of victory, even if it is blowing past a kid on a razor... “Eat my dust.”

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-01-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 03:23 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I'm 75 in ten days. I'm amazed at that! I still ride several times a week and work out with weights and floor exercises. A 25 mile ride is my idea of a fun thing to do. I live in Oakland, so that's nice long ride from house to the Bay Bridge, across the bridge to Yerba Buena Island, and then back, with some side trips as well. Great way to kill time. I was riding motorcycles on the race track up till 2019, but at the end of 2019 I broke my neck and figured it was time to quit. I also was an instructor and still turning pretty decent lap times, fast enough to be able to teach the kids. Still had my expert race license then. That is something I am truly proud of, being able to turn good lap times at that age. However, the amount of effort was just staggering. I needed three days of rest for every track day.

I look forward to more bicycling. Been doing it since 195X and still love it.
Likes For afm199:
Old 02-01-21, 04:02 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by afm199
I'm 75 in ten days. I'm amazed at that! I still ride several times a week and work out with weights and floor exercises. A 25 mile ride is my idea of a fun thing to do. I live in Oakland, so that's nice long ride from house to the Bay Bridge, across the bridge to Yerba Buena Island, and then back, with some side trips as well. Great way to kill time. I was riding motorcycles on the race track up till 2019, but at the end of 2019 I broke my neck and figured it was time to quit. I also was an instructor and still turning pretty decent lap times, fast enough to be able to teach the kids. Still had my expert race license then. That is something I am truly proud of, being able to turn good lap times at that age. However, the amount of effort was just staggering. I needed three days of rest for every track day.

I look forward to more bicycling. Been doing it since 195X and still love it.
I take it then that the Bay Bridge has some sort of hiker biker lane? Is there a toll?
Old 02-01-21, 04:08 PM
afm199

Originally Posted by rydabent
I take it then that the Bay Bridge has some sort of hiker biker lane? Is there a toll?
Yes, it has a bicycle/hiking lane separate from the roadway, I think it cost the taxpayer a couple hundred million, lol. No toll. In the day you can leave the bridge and ride to Treasure Island/Yerba Buena island, great ride. Bring earplugs the bridge traffic noise is shocking.
Old 02-17-21, 07:06 PM
afm199

Originally Posted by hsuBM
Most boomers who are still alive were living unhealthy as possible for the previous forty years.

They are the obese that’ve been spotlit as stereotypical Americans on news broadcasts around the world.

They have been keeping Phillip Morris & InBev rolling in fat profits.

They live “healthy” for three or four months every seven years.

Many die/have died before retirement due to awful diet and no exercise.

The ones that live past 70 are outliers. They are the exceptional ones who could’ve been Olympians had they applied themselves.
LMAO, thanks for the laugh. I'm 75, and just quit instructing motorcycle riding and racing on the race track, where my laptimes were faster than about 98% of the other riders. I weigh the same thing I weighed in high school. I was a good runner years ago, but never close to Olympian, and I did apply myself. I know quite a few guys like myself.
Old 02-17-21, 10:25 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I remember about 10 years ago, it was mostly the hipster types that I saw on bicycles commuting to work. Now, it feels ike more than 60% are over 40 years of age, and probably about 20% in the baby boomer age bracket
Those "hipster types" you saw 10 years ago are now over 40. It's the same people. It's amazing how middle age looks and family responsibilities erase any semblance of "hipness".

Last edited by HarborBandS; 02-17-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 10:33 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How old do you think Gen X is?
I had the same thought about that rant of a post. We're talking about people who are now 41-56 years old. I'm in the younger half of "Gen X" (mid-40s), and I spent nearly every day of my childhood outside. And I didn't get a smart phone until I was well in to my 30s.

As far as I can tell, the most defining characteristic of "Generation X" is a nearly complete lack of parental supervision when we were growing up.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 02-17-21, 11:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’m in the older half of GenX (‘67), and yeah, I totally agree about the benign neglect.
Old 02-17-21, 11:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
II'm in the younger half of "Gen X" (mid-40s), and I spent nearly every day of my childhood outside. And I didn't get a smart phone until I was well in to my 30s.
Pfft. I’ll turn 56 next month. I didn’t get a cell phone until around age 39. I didn’t get a smart phone until age 52. And yet I somehow managed to ride across the country and then some at age 34. You whippsersnappers are spoiled.
Old 02-18-21, 05:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Human life expectancy down by a year over prior year's numbers.
The statistics must have gone viral?
Old 02-18-21, 06:35 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I think money and time are big factors - younger folk are more likely to be working physical jobs and anyone who has retired likely has lots of time. So I think it's mostly a case of boomers are more likely to be able to buy a bike and find the time to ride said bike than any other factors.

Most of the cyclists I see here are middle aged towards elderly men on leisure rides, but I'm quite rural. In the wider urban areas it's a much better mix.
I do see a few kids on MTBs occasionally though and bikes are still popular Christmas presents.

It could just be that it's hidden - you don't really see the boomers who don't move from their couch because they never move from the couch*, yet you see more millenials/X/Y's out and about but on busses or walking or whatever.

*Anecdotally, my boomer parents wouldn't walk to their car if they could avoid it, whereas I'd never dream of a short drive if it was avoidable.
younger folk are more likely to be working physical jobs................not unless a smart phone of laptop does the work for them...
Old 02-18-21, 08:21 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Another over-generalization, I think. At 76, I'm slow, so I may look like I'm on a leisurely ride, but my heart rate monitor says I work hard on the bike, nevertheless.
I know you're replying in jest, but by leisure rides I mean going for a Saturday morning ride in nice weather for the fun of doing it, rather than riding to work at 7am on a cold rainy Monday.
I'm only 36 and my activity tracker certainly doesn't think I'm on a leisurely ride (it's all hills here so I work hard)

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
younger folk are more likely to be working physical jobs................not unless a smart phone of laptop does the work for them...
Sure, but generalising here, you're more likely to find a boomer in a laptop/smart phone job (office work) than a millennial. How many 50 year olds do you in working behind the counter in McDonalds compared to the number of 20 year olds?
Old 02-18-21, 09:02 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
By the time we get old we have experienced much of life. We either get tired of life or keep pivoting into something new as we age. Perspective has a lot to do with who we surround ourselves with and what our ideas about demographics are. At 65 I am a middle baby boomer. My father is dead from emphysema at age 90 my mother is still very active with life at 92. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Most of my high school friends and many of my college friends are already dead from excessive lifestyles. I have watched how my parent lived and largely copied it. Works good so far. Most of my current friends are survivors with great outlooks on life. Over half are stage four cancer survivors. Most have comorbidities. All of them have active lifestyles. I lose a few of them every year. Average age of our bicycling group is about 75. These things inspire me, not discourage me. I have built 10 ebikes for various members of our group. Most are now in e bikes; The length of rides has stayed about the same in the group but members are riding much more outside the group. From my perspective, I am burying a lot of friends that are both boomers and older but that does not mean much nationally. That is only from my perspective.

Because I am much more able than many of my friends I have two very different bike trips planned for this year. One is a ride back to Ohio from Tucson AZ with as much remote dirt riding as possible with a life long friend. The other bike trip is using my diesel trawler as a sag wagon for an Erie Canal bike path credit card trip for most of my less abled friends. Pivot is the name of the game.

Someone in another thread said these types of threads are a sure sign of nearing springtime and just want to talk about biking or anything for that matter. That might be true for most but I don't pay much attention to seasons. I just do my thing.

I might not live as long though if I keep making divots in the snow like this one yesterday. Ain't none of my friends nuts enough to participate but they love the stories. The one's that would have are dead.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 02-18-21, 09:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

I dont think it is any stretch of the imagination to think that cyclist that ride well into their 80s and some even longer will far out live couch potatoes.

Again--------------if you set you rust.
Old 02-18-21, 10:07 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
whether you keep physically active or mentally active; just maintaining one of those [if not both] will drive a longer lifecycle.
Old 02-18-21, 01:02 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I know you're replying in jest, but by leisure rides I mean going for a Saturday morning ride in nice weather for the fun of doing it, rather than riding to work at 7am on a cold rainy Monday.
I'm only 36 and my activity tracker certainly doesn't think I'm on a leisurely ride (it's all hills here so I work hard)

Sure, but generalising here, you're more likely to find a boomer in a laptop/smart phone job (office work) than a millennial. How many 50 year olds do you in working behind the counter in McDonalds compared to the number of 20 year olds?

Thats not physical work. I'm talking about regular 7 to 3:30 back breaking jobs. Younger folk don't want that. They are even having a hard time of getting people who want to drive semi trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.